DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need a generic charger recommendation for Air 3

If you want 65w pps get a multi port GAN so you can also charge your controller and/or something else at the same time:

Or if you want really small:

FYI, you can get a 130w PPS usb-c laptop chargers for very cheap, pps chargers should work fine (you could probably find a 65w for less as well): Amazon.com
Thank you. Would you happen to know the difference between a PD charger and a GaN charger, as you linked above? Should I be looking for PD or GaN?

PD stands for power delivery, it's a charging standard:
PPS is "Programmable Power Supply" and is an optional part of USB PD 3.0 and USB PD 3.1.

USB-C chargers that support USB PD may support PPS, but not all compliant USB-C with USB PD chargers support PPS.

Basically, "PPS" implies "USB PD", but "USB PD" does not automatically mean "PPS" is supported.

USB PD requires certain fixed PDOs, which implement fat voltage levels of 5V, 9V, 15V, and 20V, all at +/- 5% tolerance.

PPS, on the other hand, allows you to have much finer grain voltage control along with current sourcing mode, which newer phones require for faster and more efficient battery charging.

GaN is a newer gallium nitrate based charger which is more efficient and smaller than traditional chargers.

I use the Anker 521 @ 40W dual port USB-C charger and Anker USB-C 3' cables. With both I can charge my RC2 controller and battery pack at the same time. There are other models with higher output (W) available, but this works fine for me. I use Anker on all of my other devices.

Don

Reactions: megapixle
I wouldn't be concerned about batteries warming during charging. Too hot to comfortably hold in your hand is bad. They're not that hot, are they?

For chargers, I'd recommend getting a large capacity 100W PD powerbank, and 65W or more PD power adapter (actually, I'd recommend a 200W multiport beast, but now I'm spending a lot of your money 🙂).

The advantage here is the PB can be used in the field to recharge and keep flying. And can, of course charge other things. Ignoring money, here's what I have (images are hyperlinked to Amazon):

Alfox 30,000mAh 100W powerbank, $90

Wotobeus 130W 4-port PD charger, $90:

I bought this one, works great! 😁

Thank you, I think I'd prefer a slightly cheaper and more versatile 3rd party charger.
You should be able find any USB C charger with the following voltage/amp specifications. Need to have 20 V, 3.25 A ... that's 65W. So here's one that meets the specs

Also--side question for those that have the Air 3--does it only come with a single USB-C cable? So in addition to purchasing a power supply I also need another USB-C cable if I want to charge both the batteries and charger simultaneously?
If you already don't have a collection of USB C cables you probably need to get some. I'm sure the controller also requires a USB C cable. You can buy chargers that come with a cable. Make sure the charger has 20V/3.25A output (=65W).

Attachments

• IMG_1953.jpeg
    IMG_1953.jpeg
    325.3 KB · Views: 5
With the “Make sure the charger has 20V/3.25A output (=65W)” in mind, if I wanted to change via a 12v adapter (to avoid engine running to power the 120v supply) would I have to charge directly to the drone, not using the hub?

With the “Make sure the charger has 20V/3.25A output (=65W)” in mind, if I wanted to change via a 12v adapter (to avoid engine running to power the 120v supply) would I have to charge directly to the drone, not using the hub?
There are 100W 12V car chargers. I have a Ugreen 130W unit and it works well but I'm not sure as I'm not in North America.

On Amazon, you better get an Anker 65W / 100W unit, ideally with multiple ports so you can charge your other devices at the same time. Try not to use a power bank, as DJI hub can also be used as one, which means that if you connect power bank to a hub with a C-C cable, they might get confused and the hub end up charging the power bank.

Anker is my go2 for all things charging for sure. I’ll see if they have a 12v 65w unit.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead