DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need help setting up my Mavic

Reactions
Ok so I got my Mavic a few days ago. First up I cannot read the microscopic manuals that came with it, my eyesight is just not good enough. Luckily there are tutorial videos in the DJI app. Unfortunately I fail at the first step - registering the drone. I connect my iPhone to the controller via the little cable supplied, switch on the controller, switch on the drone, open the app and I'm supposed to get a registration screen but it doesn't appear. My controller does not connect to the drone but it reports its battery level so it must "see" it. What am I doing wrong?

Try it in this order. Go outside. Turn on controller, wait for it to say "connecting." Turn on Mavic. Within 1 minute, the controller should connect to the Mavic and you should get telemetry on your controller. Put your phone in airplane mode, but allow it to connect to the internet with a wifi (Or hotspot) or data connection. Connect to controller. Open DJI Go 4 app. Wait 30 seconds. That should bring you to the registration screen. Just FYI, use a continuous name, no spaces or special character or it might not let you get past the registration screen.

If all this fails, take a video of what youre doing, post it on Youtube and share it here.

Last edited:
Rob- will it be able to register at all if the phone is in Airplane mode??

Thanks for the reply, haven't had time to try this yet. This should all be done outdoors? I was indoors. You have to put the code in for the drone's wifi to connect to it, at what point do I do that? Do I leave it in rc mode as opposed to wifi mode (the little switch in the memory card compartment)? I can't believe how difficult this is compared to the Phantom 2 I had.

I set mine up in my office in doors but I had my phone on regular so it could get calls or text and used my data off my phone I haven't set it up to use the drones wifi yet need to do that just having to much fun flying it wit the remote

Thanks for the reply, haven't had time to try this yet. This should all be done outdoors? I was indoors. You have to put the code in for the drone's wifi to connect to it, at what point do I do that? Do I leave it in rc mode as opposed to wifi mode (the little switch in the memory card compartment)? I can't believe how difficult this is compared to the Phantom 2 I had.

You can do it indoors or outdoors. If you do it outdoors, and you are able to connect, you will be able to fly right away. If you do it indoors, remember to take off the props before you do anything.

On a Mavic, Wifi has nothing to do with connecting to the drone or controller or operating the drone. The controller is connected to your device via usb cable, no more searching for the drone on wifi. You can register the drone from anywhere using your phones data connection. The little switch should be in RC mode and never touched again.

Here it is again slightly different to avoid confusing you. Charge your phone, controller and flight battery to 100% before beginning.

1. Turn on controller, wait for it to say "connecting."
2. Turn on Mavic. Within 1 minute, the controller should connect to the Mavic and you should get telemetry on your controller. 3. Connect your iPhone via lightning cable.
4. Open DJI Go 4 app. Wait 30 seconds. That should bring you to the registration screen. Just FYI, use a continuous name, no spaces or special character or it might not let you get past the registration screen.

After you get to #4, give us an update. If you get stuck any any of them, please update this post. Its possible your Mavic needs to be bound to the controller. But lets take one step at a time.

Last edited:
Hi guys, still no luck. I went outside, switched on the controller - flashes "connecting...", turn on the drone, powers up and the tail light flashes yellow but the controller just will not connect to it. I connect my phone and boot up the app anyway and it just says it's disconnected. I'll have to get onto DJI support I suppose though they are supposed to be bad.

Hi guys, progress made. The controller now links up with the drone ok (don't know why it suddenly started doing that) but I still can't fly it as it's not activated. I go into the app and no activation screen appears. I'm already registered with DJI for my Phantom 2, but that should not make any difference should it?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan