DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2+SC ... Where to find my RID ?

LeeG

Reactions
I just did the MA2 Firmware v01.01.1600 update today. This installed without a hitch. There was no update available for the Smart Controller. I did the 3 dots in the upper right corner of the fly screen, and went to ABOUT, but all I see is my serial number. No mention of RID that I can find. So I launched the drone here in my office, and went up to about 9 ft off the ground, and then went to the Android Drone Scanner app. My drone did not show up.

I have created an FAA Drone Zone account, but I need the RID to register. How can I discover my RID?

FWIW: I registered my drone with the FAA when I first got it a few years ago. Further I already have a TRUST account/number. But apparently none of this is valid any amore? I take it registrations without RID are now invalid. It looks like with my new FAA account, and to register the device, I will have to take the TRUST test again, and get a new number?

Your old FAA account and your old TRUST are still good; no need to redo anything just because you switch on remote ID.

Ok, did a bit of digging on my own. This is what I found:

First: This video is invaluable:

It tells me the SMART CONTROLLER is NOT RID compliant.

I will need to find my ORIGINAL controller, and set it up with my new phone, and this will show the RID, and allow it to be turned on. Just because you have the MA2 firmware update, does not mean it automatically does RID. Probably why it did not show up in Drone Scanner. The question I have is, if I use the old controller to turn RID on in the aircraft, can I then use my smart controller? No way to know until I try it.

My old FAA login would not work. So the new login was needed that gets me into both FAADroneZone and https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_flyers . I also had to create a new login to use UAS Declaration of Compliance

My Small UAS Certificate of Registration Certificate expired last May.

I have my TRUST The Recreational UAS Safety Test Completion Certificate Authentication Token. So I will see about using that once I get past the RID issue. TRUST certificate shows no expiration date.

Now to go tear the house apart to try and find that original controller!

Download Drone Scanner to an android device. Turn on your drone with props turning. Your drone will show up on Drone Scanner with your RID serial number shown. You can then copy it and go to Drone Zone and register.

Reactions: John G.
Thanks for this post. However, one thing that’s missing in many of these discussions about remote identification (RID) - among other techno discussions - is the date of the information. We can never tell for sure what the latest facts are, and given the roller coaster ride we’ve experienced on RID, anything previous to the latest decision from the F.A.A. could be outdated and/or void.

As fast as technology (and the rules controlling its use) is moving, anything previous to the current date could already be obsolete (or revised). A date of publication would give the reader an important factor to consider in determining any action to be taken.

Case in point: A month ago we without compliant drones were all scrambling for modules!

Another issue concerning RID that I have missed, if it’s been discussed, is, “What do I need to install to receive my drone’s (and other drones’) RID broadcast?” “Will I need to install it on my phone or iPad or my remote controller?”

From what I’ve been able to glean from the months of discussion on RID is that the drone’s broadcast might only go as little as a mile from the drone. That narrows the number of people receiving its signal to the few who might also have the interest and same technology to receive that broadcast.

And while we’re talking about these thousands of “mini” broadcast stations sending out radio signals, where is the Federal Communications Commission on this added traffic? I’ve worked in commercial broadcasting and know that the F.C.C. has its own bailiwick to regulate. Have I missed its input on RID’s impact on broadcasting traffic?

Maybe so. It’s the lovely price of rural living.

It didn’t work on my iPad or any of my apple devices. Picked up right away on my Samsung G S21
Installing on G A53, any tricks I should know to get up and running? Seems a lot of negative reviews about "not seeing anything" even when close to transmitting drone. Thanks

Installing on G A53, any tricks I should know to get up and running? Seems a lot of negative reviews about "not seeing anything" even when close to transmitting drone. Thanks
The only trick is you have to have the props moving as you would prior to takeoff. You don‘t have to be airborne. Drone Scanner showed my drone info including RID serial number and location including that the drone was grounded

Reactions: Capt KO
Found my original controller and I have my MA2 RID now. Next to test if it is active when I use the SC. I hope it does because I had to remove the protective case to get my Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra to get it to fit in the controller clamp, and I just like the SC significantly more.

Download Drone Scanner to an android device. Turn on your drone with props turning. Your drone will show up on Drone Scanner with your RID serial number shown. You can then copy it and go to Drone Zone and register.
I haven’t updated my MA2 yet. What am I missing ? WHY do I need another device, another app, a different phone, just so I can “see” my RID number ??
Am I wrong, or do I have to do ALL that JUST to register ???
Granted, I could be missing something here. Seems like a big PITA to me though.

I haven’t updated my MA2 yet. What am I missing ? WHY do I need another device, another app, a different phone, just so I can “see” my RID number ??
Am I wrong, or do I have to do ALL that JUST to register ???
Granted, I could be missing something here. Seems like a big PITA to me though.
Eventually you will need to add your RID number to the FAA database in order to properly register and while I'm not exactly sure what it takes to obtain the RID number, you may have to jump thru several hoops to get it because the implementation is not perfect.

Eventually you will need to add your RID number to the FAA database in order to properly register and while I'm not exactly sure what it takes to obtain the RID number, you may have to jump thru several hoops to get it because the implementation is not perfect.
Thanks for the reply. But, “jumping through hoops” isn’t gonna make people more accepting of RID. Im not against the concept, but I’m a recreational flyer, I don’t make my living flying my drone. It kinda makes getting the number the equivalent of waiting in line at the license branch, that’s not gonna sit well with people.
As I said, I could be missing details for the whole thing so, I’ll be watching for further clarification before I try to get MY number.
Just my 2 cents on it.

From what I’ve been able to see/view, Drone Scanner can receive either a Wi-Fi or a Bluetooth signal from your depending on how the operator has set the app. The Drone Scanner creators have stated that iPads aren’t set up by Apple to receive Wi-Fi, only Bluetooth. It’s not their fault. So, while android devices can receive either, our iPads only can get Bluetooth.

Or so ”They” say! Try setting your Drone Scanner app to Bluetooth and let us know if that works.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. But, “jumping through hoops” isn’t gonna make people more accepting of RID. Im not against the concept, but I’m a recreational flyer, I don’t make my living flying my drone. It kinda makes getting the number the equivalent of waiting in line at the license branch, that’s not gonna sit well with people.
As I said, I could be missing details for the whole thing so, I’ll be watching for further clarification before I try to get MY number.
Just my 2 cents on it.
For sure, most recreational flyers will not bother. It's 2023, the faa.gov website should allow you to turn on your drone at home or plug it in with a cable to your computer and hit "capture" and call it a day. But we still pretend it is 1997.

For sure, most recreational flyers will not bother. It's 2023, the faa.gov website should allow you to turn on your drone at home or plug it in with a cable to your computer and hit "capture" and call it a day. But we still pretend it is 1997.
Exactly.
Hmmm, let’s get this straight, you WANT people to be compliant, BUT now you’re making it even MORE of a pain to actually BE compliant ?
It’s not helping people !

I just did the MA2 Firmware v01.01.1600 update today. This installed without a hitch. There was no update available for the Smart Controller. I did the 3 dots in the upper right corner of the fly screen, and went to ABOUT, but all I see is my serial number. No mention of RID that I can find. So I launched the drone here in my office, and went up to about 9 ft off the ground, and then went to the Android Drone Scanner app. My drone did not show up.

I have created an FAA Drone Zone account, but I need the RID to register. How can I discover my RID?

FWIW: I registered my drone with the FAA when I first got it a few years ago. Further I already have a TRUST account/number. But apparently none of this is valid any amore? I take it registrations without RID are now invalid. It looks like with my new FAA account, and to register the device, I will have to take the TRUST test again, and get a new number?
You've also got to update DJI Fly as well. Nothing anywhere says this, but that's how I was able to see my RID.

Reactions: MA2 317
Your old FAA account and your old TRUST are still good; no need to redo anything just because you switch on remote ID.
MA2 updated - I also had no luck entering my valid RID into the FAA registration website. 20 characters, correct prefix and correct drone serial number, but FAA kept saying it was invalid.

The Smart Controller does not show the RID. I had to bind my MA2 to the original RC-N1 Controller and it showed me the ID #. I was hoping DJI would update the older SC to make it visible but haven't heard of any more updates coming for the SC.

RC-N1 Controller 04.11.0200
Smart Controller Firmware 01.01.0072
MA2 Firmware 01.01.1600

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13