DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need Help with Flight Review

WanderLost

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I've booked a flight review (in Canada) and I'm going over the requirements.
The maneuvers required are straightforward.
Where I'm having some newbie issues is retrieving the screen logs.
I download the .mp4, .srt and .lrf files from the SD card. So I can just upload my .mp4 files of my flights for the review.
The screen capture logs appear just fine in the DJI Go Fly app but I don't know how to retrieve these files.
The manual doesn't seem to have information with this and DJI instructions are to turn on screen recording on my iphone.
If I've already got the recording in the app - I'm assuming? that there is some way to retrieve this?

Any advice or links to directions would be appreciated.

I'm a bit confused. What do you require logs for?
Or better put...what do you think you need logs for? Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious and just confused, but there are no log files required. The flight review is "live", and you do what is asked of you by the reviewer.

Or better put...what do you think you need logs for? Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious and just confused, but there are no log files required. The flight review is "live", and you do what is asked of you by the reviewer.
The reviewer needs them to be certain that the flight logs match the video logs. This is a "virtual" review where I conduct a demonstration, discuss a number of topics in relation to the advanced exam requirements and fly a series of maneuvers that I record with myself and the drone in view.

I think I just figured out that a screen capture is necessary since the DJI screen logs don't show if I'm checking safety parameters, height and distance limitations, RF interference or error messages. I wish the flight review was live - it would be so much easier LOL. The closest reviewer I could find in my region is 200 km. (160 miles) away.

Hi, I didn’t realize that you could do a virtual flight review. I had to drive 150 kms to meeting my flight reviewer.

Hi, I didn’t realize that you could do a virtual flight review. I had to drive 150 kms to meeting my flight reviewer.
Yes - it was a surprise to me. But after some of the "distance" meetings during Covid - and the ease of making your own video and uploading documents - it kinda makes sense. I'm really glad since I can choose the time and place and jump on a day with good weather in the next 30 days.

Hi, if I didn’t drive to meet this reviewer I would have had to wait until June and that reviewer cost was almost double the price.

Hi, if I didn’t drive to meet this reviewer I would have had to wait until June and that reviewer cost was almost double the price.
Yikes - they've got us over a barrel already. Mine cost $338 which "seems" reasonable.

The reviewer needs them to be certain that the flight logs match the video logs. This is a "virtual" review where I conduct a demonstration, discuss a number of topics in relation to the advanced exam requirements and fly a series of maneuvers that I record with myself and the drone in view.
Well colour me stoopid! I had NO idea anyone was doing flight reviews virtually! Now THAT makes some sense I guess why you'd need logs. I wouldn't want to test nor would I want to "mark" virtually. Call me old fashioned. I'd like to see the surroundings, and "see" the aircraft in flight and how the person handles it...but maybe that's just me.

Last edited:
Why do you have to go through a flight reviewer?

Reactions: sdcaver
Why do you have to go through a flight reviewer?
In Canada we have two certifications. "Basic", and "Advanced". "Basic" is that ya write a fairly easy exam, and you're done. I suspect it's similar to your "Trust" cert. Our Advanced is similar to your 107 I suppose, but there are notable differences. There is no distinction whether commercial or not, only the size of the AC and what you wish to do with it (again, commercial aspect doesn't factor into it at all).

In order to pass the Advanced cert, you need to do an online test that is VERY hard if I say so myself. Once you pass the exam, then in order to actually get the Advanced certification you're required to do (typically) an in-person flight review testing your knowledge of safety protocols and your general ability to fly the AC safely.

Here's how it shakes out -

Basic operations​

If you meet all 5 of these conditions, you're conducting basic operations:

• You fly it in uncontrolled airspace
  • You fly it more than 30 metres (100 feet) horizontally from bystanders
  • You never fly it over bystanders
  • You fly it more than 3 nautical miles from a certified airport or a military aerodrome
  • You fly it more than 1 nautical mile from a certified heliport
If you do not meet any 1 of these 5 conditions, you are conducting advanced operations.

For example, let’s say you fly your drone more than 30 metres (100 feet) horizontally from bystanders but in controlled airspace. This operation is advanced because you’re flying in controlled airspace even if you’re more than 30 metres (100 feet) horizontally from bystanders.

For basic operations, here are some of the rules you must follow:

• Register your drone with Transport Canada before you fly it for the first time
  • Mark your drone with its registration number
  • Pass the Small Basic Exam
  • Be able to show your Pilot Certificate – Basic Operations and proof of registration when you fly

Advanced operations​

If you meet any 1 of these conditions, you are conducting advanced operations:

• You want to fly in controlled airspace
  • You want to fly over bystanders
  • You want to fly within 30 metres (100 feet) of bystanders (measured horizontally)
  • You want to fly less than 3 nautical miles from a certified airport or a military aerodrome
  • You want to fly less than 1 nautical mile from a certified heliport
For advanced operations, here are some of the rules you must follow:

• Register your drone with Transport Canada before you fly it for the first time
  • Mark your drone with its registration number
  • Have a drone with the appropriate Safety declaration for the intended operation
  • Pass the Small Advanced Exam
  • Pass a flight review with a flight reviewer
  • Be able to show your Pilot Certificate – Advanced Operations and proof of registration when you fly your drone
  • Seek permission from air traffic control (NAV CANADA or the Department of National Defence) to fly in controlled airspace (request an RPAS Flight Authorization from NAV CANADA)
  • Fly within the operational limits of your drone

Last edited:
Reactions: WanderLost
Well I was thinking of coming to Canada in June and flying my drone. I guess I am not going to do that now. The requirements are very strict. Stricter than the US. Do the rules still apply to the Mini 2 drones?

Well I was thinking of coming to Canada in June and flying my drone. I guess I am not going to do that now. The requirements are very strict. Stricter than the US. Do the rules still apply to the Mini 2 drones?
If the drone is 249 Grams or less, then no...you are not required to register it, nor are you required to certify. BUT...I'm not sure what the rules are with respect to not being a Canadian...that may throw a wrench in the gears...you'll need to check into that.

I looked. I believe the short answer is that a sub-250 gr drone doesn't have to be registered, nor does the pilot need to be certified, so as long as you're flying with common sense and safely, my interpretation of the "rules" is it would be ok...as long as it's a sub-250 gr drone.

Well colour me stoopid! I had NO idea anyone was doing flight reviews virtually! Now THAT makes some sense I guess why you'd need logs. I wouldn't want to test nor would I want to "mark" virtually. Call me old fashioned. I'd like to see the surroundings, and "see" the aircraft in flight and how the person handles it...but maybe that's just me.
It's a lot more work than an in-person review that's for sure. I have to make a separate recording with my camera that sees me and the drone in view while I conduct the requested operations. I submit the recordings from the camera, the drone and the DJI Go Fly app on my iphone while doing a screen recording so the reviewer can follow my interaction with the app while flying.

"Basic" is that ya write a fairly easy exam, and you're done. I suspect it's similar to your "Trust" cert.
Not really. It's failable and covers general aviation knowledge as well as non-quadcopter remotely-piloted aircraft systems.

AFAIK the Trust certificate is basically impossible to fail, as you can correct the questions you get wrong.

Not really. It's failable and covers general aviation knowledge as well as non-quadcopter remotely-piloted aircraft systems.

AFAIK the Trust certificate is basically impossible to fail, as you can correct the questions you get wrong.
I stand corrected on the comparison. Clearly our "Basic" requires a bit more effort than your "Trust".

I passed the Flight Review and got my Advanced Certificate. Now I can start applying for jobs that require Advanced Certification. Something as straightforward as doing real estate or roof inspections in the city needs it since just about everywhere is within 3 nautical miles of the airport.

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice I've been getting on this forum - it's been valuable!

Last edited:
Reactions: Solsearcher
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gplunk99