DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Canadian drone regulations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbour Grace

Reactions
Canadian news media are reporting confusing and contradictory stories about new rules to be announced today in Ottawa.

Update: CBC News was incorrect. Canada’s new drone rules will apply to everything over 250 grams.

Do you know of any drone that you'd seriously want to use that's under 250g?

Anyone from the Calgary area?

I made contact with a local guy who is going to be running events and courses related to getting ready for the new rules June 1

Is there any interest from anyone on this ? Maybe we can all save a few bucks if we get enough people signed up

I’m not sure what license I’m going to need or even get. But I’m thinking about doing the advanced complex.

Anyways if there is interest expressed I will share the details of when these initial info sessions are happening. He says he is going to create online courses for all of this also. But I guess for me I want to be 100 certain I get the right license and stuff. Some of which requires testing and flight exam. So I’m going to put in the time with someone who already knows this process from the aviation background to help me be 100 perfect on the changes.

Let me know if there is any interest from anyone else in the Calgary already.

What is the “flight review” you need to take to get the advanced license? Is that actually having someone watch you fly your drones? There’s no description on Canada’s website, if I tap that it just goes to a log in

Anyone from the Calgary area?

I made contact with a local guy who is going to be running events and courses related to getting ready for the new rules June 1

Is there any interest from anyone on this ? Maybe we can all save a few bucks if we get enough people signed up

I’m not sure what license I’m going to need or even get. But I’m thinking about doing the advanced complex.

Anyways if there is interest expressed I will share the details of when these initial info sessions are happening. He says he is going to create online courses for all of this also. But I guess for me I want to be 100 certain I get the right license and stuff. Some of which requires testing and flight exam. So I’m going to put in the time with someone who already knows this process from the aviation background to help me be 100 perfect on the changes.

Let me know if there is any interest from anyone else in the Calgary already.
What is the advanced complex? Looking at the website it shows just 3 categories for the new rules/licenses.
Am I missing something?Capturedrone.JPG

What is the advanced complex? Looking at the website it shows just 3 categories for the new rules/licenses.
Am I missing something?View attachment 58303

Yikes; very odd; When I was reading it this morning it had "advanced complex" for drones over 1KG to 25KG, and you wanted to fly close to people etc. Went back to look at it before this response, the page is different then this morning. The "Small advanced" covers what looks like all the same benefits and now covers up to 25KG also. It seems to make no distinction for "Urban" areas. Which is what the information I was looking at this morning was showing. "Advanced Complex" allowed you to fly within and close to Urban areas, where the lower one was called "advanced Simple" but didn't let you fly near or within built up areas.

I must have not noticed that one of the links from the TC site maybe linked me to an older version of the document.. After reading the version that is now showing on their website and matches the PDF file you linked. Its clear that its called "Small Advanced" and covers up to 25KG (which is what I needed because I also fly a I2).

What is the “flight review” you need to take to get the advanced license? Is that actually having someone watch you fly your drones? There’s no description on Canada’s website, if I tap that it just goes to a log in

This is the flight review for the "Small Advanced"

Complete a flight review for drones - Transport Canada

It says the following

"
A flight review is the one of two knowledge requirements for conducting advanced operations with your drone or “Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS)”.
What you need to know before you start

Before you conduct your flight review, you must pass the Small Advanced Exam.

We recommend reading Appendix A: Flight Reviewer's Guide - sRPAS Exercises in the Knowledge Requirements for Pilots of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems 250 g up to and including 25 kg, Operating within Visual Line-of-Sight (VLOS). Appendix A lists the skills that your flight reviewer will ask you to demonstrate during your flight review.

Flight reviewers are Transport Canada-approved drone pilots who can administer a flight review.
Scheduling a flight review

Every flight reviewer is associated with a self-declared drone flight school.

Contact the drone flight school directly to schedule a flight review. You must provide the school with:

• a copy of your Pilot Certificate – Basic Operations
  • a valid (not expired) piece of government-issued (federal/provincial/territorial/state government authority or the equivalent body abroad) identification that provides their name and date of birth
  • the Certificate of Registration for the drone used for the flight review
About the flight review

The flight reviewer will assess your ability to operate your drone safely.

You may be charged a fee by the flight reviewer for your flight review. Prices are set by the reviewer.
After you complete the flight review

Within 24 hours of your flight review, the flight reviewer will submit your results online and you will receive an email confirmation with a link to view your results. You will need to keep your knowledge up to date. If you let your knowledge level lapse for more than 2 years, we may invalidate your results.

If you pass the flight review, you can apply for a Pilot Certificate – Advanced Operations.

If you fail the flight review, you may schedule another review the next day. There is no limit to the number of times you can retake a flight review, but you may need to pay a fee each time.
"

The knowledge you need for the Flight Review is in this link within that document:
Knowledge Requirements for Pilots of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems 250 g up to and including 25 kg, Operating within Visual Line-of-Sight (VLOS) (TP 15263) - Transport Canada

The text is too long to paste completely, but here is the headlines:

Knowledge areas
When I was reading it this morning, it showed "War Time Munitions" in this lost for some reason. I think I was looking at a old version of bad link to the data this morning because what I see now is considerable less complex and has different names to...

This is the flight review for the "Small Advanced"

Complete a flight review for drones - Transport Canada

It says the following

"
A flight review is the one of two knowledge requirements for conducting advanced operations with your drone or “Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS)”.
What you need to know before you start

Before you conduct your flight review, you must pass the Small Advanced Exam.

We recommend reading Appendix A: Flight Reviewer's Guide - sRPAS Exercises in the Knowledge Requirements for Pilots of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems 250 g up to and including 25 kg, Operating within Visual Line-of-Sight (VLOS). Appendix A lists the skills that your flight reviewer will ask you to demonstrate during your flight review.

Flight reviewers are Transport Canada-approved drone pilots who can administer a flight review.
Scheduling a flight review

Every flight reviewer is associated with a self-declared drone flight school.

Contact the drone flight school directly to schedule a flight review. You must provide the school with:

• a copy of your Pilot Certificate – Basic Operations
  • a valid (not expired) piece of government-issued (federal/provincial/territorial/state government authority or the equivalent body abroad) identification that provides their name and date of birth
  • the Certificate of Registration for the drone used for the flight review
About the flight review

The flight reviewer will assess your ability to operate your drone safely.

You may be charged a fee by the flight reviewer for your flight review. Prices are set by the reviewer.
After you complete the flight review

Within 24 hours of your flight review, the flight reviewer will submit your results online and you will receive an email confirmation with a link to view your results. You will need to keep your knowledge up to date. If you let your knowledge level lapse for more than 2 years, we may invalidate your results.

If you pass the flight review, you can apply for a Pilot Certificate – Advanced Operations.

If you fail the flight review, you may schedule another review the next day. There is no limit to the number of times you can retake a flight review, but you may need to pay a fee each time.
"

The knowledge you need for the Flight Review is in this link within that document:
Knowledge Requirements for Pilots of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems 250 g up to and including 25 kg, Operating within Visual Line-of-Sight (VLOS) (TP 15263) - Transport Canada

The text is too long to paste completely, but here is the headlines:

Knowledge areas
When I was reading it this morning, it showed "War Time Munitions" in this lost for some reason. I think I was looking at a old version of bad link to the data this morning because what I see now is considerable less complex and has different names to...
Thos looks like a complete overkill. Looks like they just cut and pasted the requirements for a PPL.

It’s a little intense. Flight school is required for the advanced license also. Which is Estimated at 800 plus CAD not to mention your expected to maintain your license with additional training which adds to the cost of keeping an advanced license too....

this is the fully detailed links: it has so much stuff in there, even

It has literally everything in there from run way incursions, to how to talk to your flight crew. Runway numbering, difference between magnetic and true north and so much more.... this of course applied to "Small Advanced" but still, this is over the top if you don't want to go near an airport (which your not allowed, you need a SFOC it appears to fly at the airport anyways still). I don't have a "flight crew" either.... some stuff that is over the top even for small advanced certificate.

Last edited:
Update: CBC News was incorrect. Canada’s new drone rules will apply to everything over 250 grams.

I would suggest that they are in fact regulating the under 250 also as the site specifically said even those must be flown away from airports. But they don’t say anything more than that other than to say that drones under 250 grams can only be seen and not in cloud or fog. So to me that’s regulated even under 250g

Not sure how many people read more of the details yet, but in this link which is provided within the "new rules"....
Flying your drone safely and legally (new rules) - Transport Canada

They specifically tell you are not allowed to fly around other drones, this is the text

"
far away from other aircraft

• Don’t fly anywhere near airplanes, helicopters and other drones:
"

So if you and a buddy go out and fly, this is now not legal?

what if you own a helicopter and you take it out, land, and then fly your drone from where you landed your own aircraft? While I don't own a helicopter, a close friend of mine does, and we fly together. we have in fact done exactly this, and flown our drones over his helicopter while its on the ground.

Well this sucks when I go back to Canada to visit family. Last year I brought my Mavic Pro. Looks like this year it will stay in the states

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zohpar