DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New DJI camera

DJI is really looking to be a player in the camera market -- it;s just a matter of time before they sell a stand-alone camera for the general public.

Brian

I wonder if it can be adapted for the Inspire?

I'm not sure why at this stage they decided on an HD camera when 4K is the real deal. At just HD there's not much reason for someone with videography as a goal to go with this camera versus the X5.

Brian

Reactions: Mavic_Man504
I'm not sure why at this stage they decided on an HD camera when 4K is the real deal. At just HD there's not much reason for someone with videography as a goal to go with this camera versus the X5.

Brian
I think it's all about the 30x (optical) zoom lens.

I think it's all about the 30x (optical) zoom lens.

I get that, but why not a 30X lens AND a 4K sensor -- best of both worlds...

Actually, with a 4K sensor you could get by with a lesser zoom ratio which would permit a faster lens and/or a lighter lens.

Brian

hmm seems DJI is always bringing out good stuff

Look at the specs carefully.
This is NOT a general purpose camera - it has a very specific niche market with a resolution way below what anyone would want for aerial video production.

This is more suited to surveillance application where a zoom is important but image quality isn't.

I would say this is more a proof of concept type product (30x zoom) rather than something they expect to sell a lot of!

Look at the specs carefully.
This is NOT a general purpose camera - it has a very specific niche market with a resolution way below what anyone would want for aerial video production.

This is more suited to surveillance application where a zoom is important but image quality isn't.

I would say this is more a proof of concept type product (30x zoom) rather than something they expect to sell a lot of!

I wouldn't call HD resolution WAY below the norm but with 4K quickly becoming the norm it is below what most people expect. I don't know that a 30X zoom lens obviate the need for a high res sensor as the point of a 30X lens is to zoom in to get detail that a lesser focal length would not. You get pretty much all of that benefit with a higher res sensor though you do tend to give up a bit of low light capability.

No doubt if the application is surveillance then an HD sensor with a big lens maybe preferred over a higher res sensor with a shorter lens. But, my point is you can do both: have a long lens AND a high res sensor and then binning when lower light performance is desired. Yes, binning is misstated in some cases but the ability to make a high res sensor act like a more sensitive lower res sensor is what I'm getting at.

Brian

I doubt that DJI will get into the crowed and declining standalone camera business with ever improving phone cams encroaching from the bottom. I also don't see much use for the Karma detachable given the viewing angle. Pretty much useless.

I doubt that DJI will get into the crowed and declining standalone camera business with ever improving phone cams encroaching from the bottom. I also don't see much use for the Karma detachable given the viewing angle. Pretty much useless.

I would agree, I do think that they could do very well in the specialty gimbaled (stabilized) "sport cam" market

I would agree, I do think that they could do very well in the specialty gimbaled (stabilized) "sport cam" market

the only true stabilized camera out there is Sony's new action cam. It's built in o.s. Makes the videos look like they're on their own gimbal. Hopefully action cam makers will copy n drive the prices down in the future.

Here's a couple of vids for comparison (against hero 5)

Brian
Obviously you didn't even bother to read the specs.
It is designed for surveillance use only, not a cinema camera at all.
Resolution is too small to be a video camera.

Obviously you didn't even bother to read the specs.
It is designed for surveillance use only, not a cinema camera at all.
Resolution is too small to be a video camera.

Obviously you didn't read MY post. I know full well what role it's intended for but disagree on the use of a lower resolution seonsor, NOT because of cinematic needs but because in the surveillance role you want to be able to read license plates etc. Easier to do that with a higher resolution sensor.

There is a pervasive surveillance program designed to watch, from above, a large portion of an urban area. They built the system using something like 600 smartphone cameras built into an array so that they overlap and produce an effective resolution around 6 GPixel as I recall. At the distance they will operate they don't need to worry about having much DOF so they can operate the lens wide open for maximum light day and night. It is utter nonsense that a surveillance camera needs to have a low resolution sensor. WTF would they have a 30X zoom lens if they had no need to see small things!

Brian

Obviously you didn't read MY post. I know full well what role it's intended for but disagree on the use of a lower resolution seonsor, NOT because of cinematic needs but because in the surveillance role you want to be able to read license plates etc. Easier to do that with a higher resolution sensor.

There is a pervasive surveillance program designed to watch, from above, a large portion of an urban area. They built the system using something like 600 smartphone cameras built into an array so that they overlap and produce an effective resolution around 6 GPixel as I recall. At the distance they will operate they don't need to worry about having much DOF so they can operate the lens wide open for maximum light day and night. It is utter nonsense that a surveillance camera needs to have a low resolution sensor. WTF would they have a 30X zoom lens if they had no need to see small things!

Brian
Chill. It doesn't matter who is right in this issue. DJI doesnt just roll a dice and decide to make a new camera out of thin air.
Come on, this is DJI, they fitted 4k camera to the phantom 3 series, so they have experience in this. Don't you think before they make this camera, a large group of people would have sat down and brain storm over the requirements? Do you think the few of us in this thread have a greater combined brainpower than all their engineers, scientists or decision makers?

The end point of DJi discussion is a 1080P camera with a long zoom. That is their decision. And i'm sure they have their reasons for that. Why not 4K, perhaps marketing wants to keep it for the next "upgrade", just like anything else.

Stop arguing amongst each other over such silly stuff.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J