DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New FAA aeronautical knowledge and safety test

i haven't ignored this, first time i saw it, i signed up.

but i gotta admit, telling a hobby flier he can tune in to a government seminar to have the rules explained to him isn't going to attract a lot of hobbyists.

we'll see how the material is presented. i don't expect a lot, i've seen these before. it's more like an opportunity to say "we told you so" or "we told you it was coming" or "you were notified so...."

The webinar will make it easier to pass the test I assume.

Reactions: Slim.slamma
Assuming the people who are complaining about the new requirements are truly upset and not just looking for troll points...

First off, who didn't see this coming? The AMA has done no outreach to the plug and play drone community. They didn't reach out to the big box retailers, nor online retailers, and not even DJI. Why not? Because the AMA was more interested in appealing to guys building scale models (and the companies that advertise in their magazine) than small aircraft. The use case for scale models is completely different than small UAVs: the scale model builder wants to watch the airplane fly, the drone buyer wants to see the world from the viewpoint of the UAV and doesn't really care much about what it looks like. Because the AMA is presenting itself as the lobby for the hobbyist they claim to set the rules for safety too.

I doubt less than 1% of the big box drone buyers know that the AMA even exists, let alone they have safety training (such as it is) and other member benefits. The kid at the big box store doesn't know anything about drones other than which key to use to open the cabinet. And they flat out refused to make registration part of the purchasing process, even though that's the best time to do it. Especially when they're getting the customer data anyway. They'll spend hours on getting your shiny new smartphone registered on the carrier network, but they won't charge you an extra $10 (retail markup) to register your drone for you?

And what did you, the hobby pilot, do to educate friends and family about sUAV safety? When a coworker asked you about what drone to buy did you also explain to them that they need to be aware where they fly is in relation to the airport? Or that they have to register it with the FAA? Or that, yes, the FAA does control the airspace right down to the ground, and if you don't like that, take 'em to court? Or that you're basically taking an iPhone and throwing it up in the air, hoping it has a soft landing?

Reactions: sar104
Assuming the people who are complaining about the new requirements are truly upset and not just looking for troll points...

First off, who didn't see this coming? The AMA has done no outreach to the plug and play drone community. They didn't reach out to the big box retailers, nor online retailers, and not even DJI. Why not? Because the AMA was more interested in appealing to guys building scale models (and the companies that advertise in their magazine) than small aircraft. The use case for scale models is completely different than small UAVs: the scale model builder wants to watch the airplane fly, the drone buyer wants to see the world from the viewpoint of the UAV and doesn't really care much about what it looks like. Because the AMA is presenting itself as the lobby for the hobbyist they claim to set the rules for safety too.

I doubt less than 1% of the big box drone buyers know that the AMA even exists, let alone they have safety training (such as it is) and other member benefits. The kid at the big box store doesn't know anything about drones other than which key to use to open the cabinet. And they flat out refused to make registration part of the purchasing process, even though that's the best time to do it. Especially when they're getting the customer data anyway. They'll spend hours on getting your shiny new smartphone registered on the carrier network, but they won't charge you an extra $10 (retail markup) to register your drone for you?

And what did you, the hobby pilot, do to educate friends and family about sUAV safety? When a coworker asked you about what drone to buy did you also explain to them that they need to be aware where they fly is in relation to the airport? Or that they have to register it with the FAA? Or that, yes, the FAA does control the airspace right down to the ground, and if you don't like that, take 'em to court? Or that you're basically taking an iPhone and throwing it up in the air, hoping it has a soft landing?

mobile phone carriers register you because they plan to recur bill you to use the equipment. otherwise registration is unnecessary and not required. same with a drone, absolutely not required at time of purchase. if i were a retailer, absolutely i would refuse to force someone to produce ID at the point of sale. first, because this isn't nazi germany and as americans we are free to make a purchase without showing ID first. bestbuy is not in business to deal with the government but if bestbuy want to get your info for their own use, they are welcome to. if you want to make it optional, best buy can help you AFTER the sale, we can walk you over to one of the computers and log in. but i'm not going to hurt sales by feeding information into an illegitimate database specifically designed to facilitate confiscation in the future. second, i'm a hobby pilot, i've already registered last year, can't i just pay for this drone and walk out the door? third, when a retailer ties their name so tightly with a drone, that drone is bound to come back to bite them. in america, that's just the way it is. the gun industry has a law that tries to prevent victims from shifting the blame from financially poor bad people who do bad things -> wealthy good people doing the right thing who have nothing to do with your damages. drone industry don't have that. finally, to me the ama is like the nra. you don't like them but you kinda need them. that's all i can say.

Reactions: Dryocum
And what did you, the hobby pilot, do to educate friends and family about sUAV safety?

For the most part what I tell anybody about proper sUAV operation as a rec flier falls on deaf ears of those who feel entitled to fly w/o regulation. There are people that resist regulation and some actually enjoy breaking rules. I started flying fixed wing a few years back and learned the clubs rules which followed the old AMA rules. Many of the racing drone club people told me they were not going to follow any of those rules and told me I was stupid to follow them. Another guy I knew was flying his phantom inside class D airspace @ 1000' and at night. Beautiful pics but what a dope. He's the kind of guy who would have try to get a closeup of a space shuttle launch if he could of. They're out there!

I wonder how long it will take before the answers to the test are posted online. Copy and paste. Instantly qualified. Welcome to the world of legal drone pilots.

For the most part what I tell anybody about proper sUAV operation as a rec flier falls on deaf ears of those who feel entitled to fly w/o regulation. There are people that resist regulation and some actually enjoy breaking rules. I started flying fixed wing a few years back and learned the clubs rules which followed the old AMA rules. Many of the racing drone club people told me they were not going to follow any of those rules and told me I was stupid to follow them. Another guy I knew was flying his phantom inside class D airspace @ 1000' and at night. Beautiful pics but what a dope. He's the kind of guy who would have try to get a closeup of a space shuttle launch if he could of. They're out there!

The funny thing is, he could go through the waiver process and get authorization to make that flight, but because he really doesn't want to go through the bureaucratic process he'd rather take chances that he has no business taking. Must not have wanted that picture badly enough I guess. I agree that the FAA is completely out to lunch when it comes to waivers, but they are granting them if you write up a proper request. Maybe not so much for hobby pilots, but that's going to change and evolve now.

Watching a video without being asked (Tested) any questions about it proves nothing other than a video was played by your computer. You could hit PLAY and go to the store, come back and say, "I'm good to go".
Right. Pointless... like having to input your name in a database if you want to fly a drone. Why do something that does not solve a problem. That would just be dumb.

Probably hasn’t heard about the poor bystander boy that lost an eye courtesy of a drone.Nothing wrong with a little safety spread among the ones populating the air space. Yes there are air incidents, but it has been limited thanks to several organizations, which includes the FAA. I’m not a fan of big government, but I’m also not a fan of creating risk to the general public.
How would a test have prevented this? Millions of people take driving tests... has this eliminated auto accidents? What you mention is a False Dilemma.

Most of the questions will be about the regulations, limitations (weight, speed, height etc) and about how to know what airspace you're operating in (reading and understanding a sectional).
Where are you getting this information from?

I wonder how long it will take before the answers to the test are posted online. Copy and paste. Instantly qualified. Welcome to the world of legal drone pilots.
My guess is that the questions will be extremely basic as to quiz people on the few basics they should know. Such as, being able to use the B4UFly app, letting people know that they need to use LAANC before flying within 5 miles of an airport, etc.

Reactions: Dryocum
How would a test have prevented this? Millions of people take driving tests... has this eliminated auto accidents? What you mention is a False Dilemma.
Didn’t say it would.
An ounce of prevention.....................

Didn’t say it would.
An ounce of prevention.....................
Kind of like the drone registration.

My point is that there has been every indication that nothing the FAA has done has made drone flying more safe (I wish it were not true). It has simply made an easy and simple thing much more difficult if not impossible. They have even shown to ignore their own "rules" in making exceptions for certain groups.

I don't know about that, somebody mentioned a $150 to take the test, sounds like they might have hired a testing company and we may have to go take the test at a testing center under "supervision".

as long as the video is entertaining and comes across as intuitive, it will be watched because it is short and it is to the point. no pressure. video could be posted on yt, repeated and commented on by yt crew, supported by oems like dji....the video can be improved and updated to keep it current and provide on the spot info. eventually it could be known as the go-to video for drone flyers. the video won't come across as a government video and will be embraced by the recreational community instead of mocked and avoided.

it's 7 minutes of the most important details you need to know. people won't avoid it, they will seek it out. it [voluntarily] plays on dji go at start up and it's positive in tone which means you accomplish your goal which is to get the message out. if you like questions, ask the question in the video, give the viewer time to answer it (to themselves) and then answer is later in the video so he'll learn which is the goal, learning, not trying to flunk someone.

i just think it go farther in terms of safety than a test. and it doesn't necessarily have to be a video, there are other forms of communication that is effective. when it comes off as partner with the flyer, i think it is more likely to be embraced (and watched) rather than avoid. remember, the video can be watched anytime during the flyer's tenure and it can we watched periodically.

not saying this can't be done in addition to the test but i personally don't like the test for at least a dozen reasons (not sure you want to see that post, it's not pretty; if you really want to see it, i'll post it this weekend but it's not a good look at all).

maybe the FAA can make it like those "workplace harassment" training videos we are forced to watch by our employers... we've had some pretty amusing ones in our company as of late, and they basically remind you to not be jerk.

The funny thing is, he could go through the waiver process and get authorization to make that flight, but because he really doesn't want to go through the bureaucratic process he'd rather take chances that he has no business taking. Must not have wanted that picture badly enough I guess. I agree that the FAA is completely out to lunch when it comes to waivers, but they are granting them if you write up a proper request. Maybe not so much for hobby pilots, but that's going to change and evolve now.

help us out for those of us reading and new here and don't know exactly all the laws. what are some waivers that i can apply for to the faa as a recreational pilot? can you name a few please?

maybe the FAA can make it like those "workplace harassment" training videos we are forced to watch by our employers... we've had some pretty amusing ones in our company as of late, and they basically remind you to not be jerk.
i only mention that not because it would be more effective but because it would reach more eyeballs and the message would spread more widely. i'm an amateur but even i can make a yt video that after posting for 2 weeks would inform more hobby flier about class G airspace than the faa online test would reach in 2 years. "G means good" will reach millions! :)

people will cheat the online test. the answer will be posted, the results will be photocopied and the authorities (read: cops) will know it's a bogus test and will not give it any credibility other than the bust your balls if you happen not to have one. "the last guy showed me an faa id card and you show me a printout that doesn't even have your name on it?" that's what hobbyist are facing. if i take the test and pass, i'm going to have an aftermarket company create a part 107-like license with "recreational" stamped on it. ;)

i only mention that not because it would be more effective but because it would reach more eyeballs and the message would spread more widely. i'm an amateur but even i can make a yt video that after posting for 2 weeks would inform more hobby flier about class G airspace than the faa online test would reach in 2 years. "G means good" will reach millions! :)

people will cheat the online test. the answer will be posted, the results will be photocopied and the authorities (read: cops) will know it's a bogus test and will not give it any credibility other than the bust your balls if you happen not to have one. "the last guy showed me an faa id card and you show me a printout that doesn't even have your name on it?" that's what hobbyist are facing. if i take the test and pass, i'm going to have an aftermarket company create a part 107-like license with "recreational" stamped on it. ;)

Glass half full?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goadreams