DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New FAA aeronautical knowledge and safety test

I think you will have to be able to read a sectional, and if not it is something you should be able to do anyways, not only to know where to fly legally but also if you are ever told you can’t fly there or something like that, you can back yourself up. It is easy with the right training, and there are a lot of good videos on it (Tony Northrup, etc.). His sectional chart intro starts here at 32:15

everyday for about a week, no worries
when I think back now leisure suit Larry time was well spent

and the online test is going to hold the flyer accountable?

the recreational pilot is not here to go to class and be taught, we're not students in a government classroom. we learn on yt.

The problem so far has been zero accountability for recreational pilots and the stunts on YT are a good share of the reason for the change in rules for the hobbyist.

I may be old school, but give me written material (a pdf is fine) over a YT video any day. I don’t have to have the volume turned up to get the information, nor do I have to watch some dufuss drone on for 20 minutes to give me 4 minutes of information.

I welcome the the test and the accountability that should come with it, the only reason I haven’t pursued a 107 is that this is my hobby and I can’t see giving the FAA $150 when I don’t plan on using it to make money.

alas, i see this is turning into something else besides a hobby. :(

[Insert tiny violin emojii here]. It will still be a hobby. Building and driving cars and other motorized vehicles used to be a hobby, so was building and flying real planes, and building and launching powerful DIY rockets, etc. Regulations and licensing hasn’t stopped all that at all, just made them a lot safer hobbies for everyone.

Reactions: BigAl07
[removed personal attack]. It will still be a hobby. Building and driving cars and other motorized vehicles used to be a hobby, so was building and flying real planes, and building and launching powerful DIY rockets, etc. Regulations and licensing hasn’t stopped all that at all, just made them a lot safer hobbies for everyone.
those hobbies have been killed off. by exactly what you mentioned, government regulations and licensing. no kids today will spend any sweat to build a car and drive it; everyone mods. no kids build rockets any longer, in fact the country has given up on launching rockets (except for one guy). the automobile and airplane industry is severely stunted with no appreciable improvements or innovation in decades, wonder why. unless you have a lot of money and time. if drones go the way these other hobbies you mentioned, then drones are dunzo.

The problem so far has been zero accountability for recreational pilots and the stunts on YT are a good share of the reason for the change in rules for the hobbyist.

I may be old school, but give me written material (a pdf is fine) over a YT video any day. I don’t have to have the volume turned up to get the information, nor do I have to watch some dufuss drone on for 20 minutes to give me 4 minutes of information.

I welcome the the test and the accountability that should come with it, the only reason I haven’t pursued a 107 is that this is my hobby and I can’t see giving the FAA $150 when I don’t plan on using it to make money.

how convenient, blame the new rules and regulations on yt. if the goal is to reach them, then reach them the best way you know how. online tests and classrooms are for you and i, not the hobby masses. the 20 minute video should be 4 minutes, not 20 minutes and the dufuss should be someone knowledgable and well respected, not a government scientist explaining sectional maps.

i don't welcome the test.
i don't welcome the accountability.

not because i can't pass the test or i don't like safety or accountability.

i just see it for what it is...and what it will become.
also part of the reason i won't pay the $150.

lessons learned.

look i get it. happens all the time in america. when a group of people get a government license or permission from the government, they instantly feel others should seek the same permission. of course they never feel the government license should not have been required in the first place. i'm ok with part 107. i'm not ok with where hobby rules are going.

those hobbies have been killed off. by exactly what you mentioned, government regulations and licensing. no kids today will spend any sweat to build a car and drive it; everyone mods. no kids build rockets any longer, in fact the country has given up on launching rockets (except for one guy). the automobile and airplane industry is severely stunted with no appreciable improvements or innovation in decades, wonder why. unless you have a lot of money and time. if drones go the way these other hobbies you mentioned, then drones are dunzo.

Sorry Ken, not meant as a personal thing, I was just joking... but you are very wrong about regulated hobbies like the rocket hobby, check this out, it’s a camp where kids machine and build their own supersonic rockets powered by nitrox (nitrous oxide and oxygen) and solid propellants that are capable of reaching 100,000 ft in Texas:

And kids making supersonic rockets:

We also teach rocketry, along with many other STEM schools across the nation. At my school’s aviation club, we also built a small vertical wind tunnel test stand to test the fin stability and aerodynamics- it actually can measure drag with a simple electronic scale. Some of our kids do it as a hobby and also compete with them. Of course its not a class taught by John Goddard where kids are making their own engines, and we are only going up to Class C motors. As for cars and such, our local schools have a program where students learn to fix, restore and build them, along with the metal shop, students made their own sand rails and use them out in the Glamis sand dunes on weekends. All these are regulated hobbies.

I understand your concern about the regs changing the drone hobby, it will, but for a good reason now that it has been a unregulated wild west for some time and has become so prevalent everywhere in the NAS.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReadyKilowatt
Most of the questions will be about the regulations, limitations (weight, speed, height etc) and about how to know what airspace you're operating in (reading and understanding a sectional).

The test etc is for all hobby RC aircraft including (but not exclusive to) MultiRotors.

The test will be good for 24 months and after which you'll need to retake it to be current again.
In the past week I've learned to read a sectional just because I was curious. JMO but I feel the FAA should have an app and sectionals suited for RC aircraft only available for the hobbyist. The idea is to make it simple for people to fly safely without all the gray areas. I know what VLOS is and how it works...I've never bent those rules on purpose. I've always understood I only have a privledge to fly and am accountable for my flights. But I don't need to know an airports radio frequency, if it has facilities, or even a beacon. Overly complicated charts can lead to mistakes. I would like to see a simple way to check before I fly similar to B4Ufly or airmap. I figure the main rules similar to the what the AMA sets as standards need to be followed and understood. I don't mind testing for that...it's pretty simple. It also needs to be something that can be done w/o an internet connection if necessary. As far as 24 months go I guess I'm OK with that but seems a little excessive.

DOES ANYONE READ ANYMORE? C'MON PEOPLE... an email sent to me from the FAA! What the heck more do you need? [Edited by Admin] this webinar will tell you everything so you don't have to ask anymore.

I already posted this... POST # 18 jeez.

Recreational Flyers! Please join Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) experts on Thursday, June 27 at 4:00 P.M. ET for a free LIVE webinar on “Recreational Flyers: Fly Safe. Have Fun.”
We will break down the new law that describes how, when, and where you can fly drones for recreational purposes, as well as how the FAA is incrementally rolling out changes.
We’ll also update you on the Low Altitude and Authorization Notification Capability (LAANC), which provides automated airspace authorizations to fly in controlled airspace. You won’t want to miss this!
Register Here!
Webinar Format:

• Registration is on a first-come, first-serve basis.
  • Webinar sessions are hosted in audio and visual format via GoToWebinar.
  • 24 hours before the webinar, you will receive a unique URL that you will use to access the webinar. Please note: your confirmation email will come from “EON Team ([email protected]).”
  • You must download the GoToWebinar software on your computer, smartphone/tablet app, or use the link provided in your registration email.
  • On the day of the webinar you can access the session via the join link in your confirmation email, or using your 9-digit Webinar ID.
  • You are encouraged to read the GoToWebinar How-To Guide ahead of the webinar.
  • Questions and answers received during all of our webinars are available online here.
Recordings of past drone webinars in the series are available on the FAA’s YouTube Channel:
Questions about the webinar? Please email [email protected].

Link Too FAA: Drone Webinar Series

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Slim.slamma
DOES ANYONE READ ANYMORE? C'MON PEOPLE... an email sent to me from the FAA! What the heck more do you need? [Edited by Admin] this webinar will tell you everything so you don't have to ask anymore.

I already posted this... POST # 18 jeez.

Recreational Flyers! Please join Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) experts on Thursday, June 27 at 4:00 P.M. ET for a free LIVE webinar on “Recreational Flyers: Fly Safe. Have Fun.”
We will break down the new law that describes how, when, and where you can fly drones for recreational purposes, as well as how the FAA is incrementally rolling out changes.
We’ll also update you on the Low Altitude and Authorization Notification Capability (LAANC), which provides automated airspace authorizations to fly in controlled airspace. You won’t want to miss this!
Register Here!
Webinar Format:

• Registration is on a first-come, first-serve basis.
  • Webinar sessions are hosted in audio and visual format via GoToWebinar.
  • 24 hours before the webinar, you will receive a unique URL that you will use to access the webinar. Please note: your confirmation email will come from “EON Team ([email protected]).”
  • You must download the GoToWebinar software on your computer, smartphone/tablet app, or use the link provided in your registration email.
  • On the day of the webinar you can access the session via the join link in your confirmation email, or using your 9-digit Webinar ID.
  • You are encouraged to read the GoToWebinar How-To Guide ahead of the webinar.
  • Questions and answers received during all of our webinars are available online here.
Recordings of past drone webinars in the series are available on the FAA’s YouTube Channel:
Questions about the webinar? Please email [email protected].

Link Too FAA: Drone Webinar Series

This exact same information was posted YESTERDAY:

So people are seeing it but they are choosing to ignore it.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
This exact same information was posted YESTERDAY:

So people are seeing it but they are choosing to ignore it.

Why are they choosing to ignore and asking the same old questions?
Makes no sense.

So does this regulation go into effect shortly after the webinar?
The regulation has mostly been in effect, there are a couple of items - the test and online authorization - that haven't been implemented yet but are in work. The webinar is to help explain it all.

In the past week I've learned to read a sectional just because I was curious. JMO but I feel the FAA should have an app and sectionals suited for RC aircraft only available for the hobbyist. The idea is to make it simple for people to fly safely without all the gray areas. I know what VLOS is and how it works...I've never bent those rules on purpose. I've always understood I only have a privledge to fly and am accountable for my flights. But I don't need to know an airports radio frequency, if it has facilities, or even a beacon. Overly complicated charts can lead to mistakes. I would like to see a simple way to check before I fly similar to B4Ufly or airmap. I figure the main rules similar to the what the AMA sets as standards need to be followed and understood. I don't mind testing for that...it's pretty simple. It also needs to be something that can be done w/o an internet connection if necessary. As far as 24 months go I guess I'm OK with that but seems a little excessive.
Here ya go ArcGIS Web Application Courtesy of the FAA

i haven't ignored this, first time i saw it, i signed up.

but i gotta admit, telling a hobby flier he can tune in to a government seminar to have the rules explained to him isn't going to attract a lot of hobbyists.

we'll see how the material is presented. i don't expect a lot, i've seen these before. it's more like an opportunity to say "we told you so" or "we told you it was coming" or "you were notified so...."

blame the new rules and regulations on yt

Not quite the point I was trying to make. The videos posted by idiots doing stupid BVLOS flights, near misses with manned aircraft, etc. giving ammo to the legislators for why stricter regulations needed to be enacted.

The thousands of legal scenic drone footage is more or less glazed over by the press and our legislators and emphasis placed on the former.

I got the FAA email a few days ago and decided not to download anything. I don't mind going through a few videos though (and I have for my own curiosity) but what about those who don't have internet access or computer knowledge? Drones are tech heavy and one of the reasons a lot of people would rather fly more simple aircraft like fixed wing. They're being lumped into a drone world they want nothing to deal with. The other day I asked several people who have been flying RC aircraft for years and they knew nothing about sectional charts. They never really have needed to because they don't do FPV and the basic AMA rules were easy to follow... and they follow them. Looks like some of these folks are going to be surprised. BTW we do have to qualify to fly a turbine jets so there are classifications and I'm all for that. Maybe they should add a classification for multi rotors...
Don't get me wrong, I'll take the test as I want to fly for photography (FPV) but kind of laugh that a person who has been flying fixed wing RC aircraft for 30 years needs to take a test now.
Not to skew the thread but what do you think should be on the test? I understand the test is not out yet but what do you think?

I've heard that DJI is going to try to incorporate it into the application.

I got the FAA email a few days ago and decided not to download anything. I don't mind going through a few videos though (and I have for my own curiosity) but what about those who don't have internet access or computer knowledge? Drones are tech heavy and one of the reasons a lot of people would rather fly more simple aircraft like fixed wing. They're being lumped into a drone world they want nothing to deal with. The other day I asked several people who have been flying RC aircraft for years and they knew nothing about sectional charts. They never really have needed to because they don't do FPV and the basic AMA rules were easy to follow... and they follow them. Looks like some of these folks are going to be surprised. BTW we do have to qualify to fly a turbine jets so there are classifications and I'm all for that. Maybe they should add a classification for multi rotors...
Don't get me wrong, I'll take the test as I want to fly for photography (FPV) but kind of laugh that a person who has been flying fixed wing RC aircraft for 30 years needs to take a test now.
Not to skew the thread but what do you think should be on the test? I understand the test is not out yet but what do you think?

The "Webinar" app is only "Go To Meeting" a very simple app to use.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mupps64