DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New FAA aeronautical knowledge and safety test

like i mentioned in another thread, if the test is online, does that mean anyone on the planet can take the test, pass, and get a "u.s. recreational pilot license?"

I'm pretty sure that's not possible. I seem to recall some people who were traveling "outside the US" were unable to take the online Part 61/107 test because of their "Region" settings. I'm not saying that can't be "Tricked" but that's extra work for nothing.

Reactions: Thomas B
Watching a video without being asked (Tested) any questions about it proves nothing other than a video was played by your computer. You could hit PLAY and go to the store, come back and say, "I'm good to go".

What harm is studying and taking a test on regulations and safety? I'm not being sarcastic I'm genuinely trying to understand your logic.
I just wish there were classes near me. Would be nice for test prep, and general knowledge. Everyone can learn something.

I'm pretty sure that's not possible. I seem to recall some people who were traveling "outside the US" were unable to take the online Part 61/107 test because of their "Region" settings. I'm not saying that can't be "Tricked" but that's extra work for nothing.

if the system is not doing any validation, it's easy. how will the system stop someone from estonia from going to www dot faahobbyonlinetest dot gov and clicking a few buttons and printing the results? unless they require info like a (usa) credit card or they valid your name and address.....

it's like when you travel overseas, you can use your verizon sim card or you can buy an orange sim card and use it in france. foreigners who travel to the usa and don't want to bother jumping thru the many hoops that make it too difficult to bring their drone but want to at least be covered for the minimum, just take the usa test. no way that test is going to be closed to everyone except american citizens. there's nothing stopping you from registering at faa.gov right now with a usa physical address and a credit card which anyone can get; from what i recall there aren't even any perjury warnings. people from all over the world shop on ebay and amazon and those are the us websites.

these days, i wouldn't call a vpn a trick. it's pretty much mainstream and i'm sure there will dozens of sites that will explain how to do it all...for free.

so there's that and then why even take the test. just print "copies" of the results and pass them around. will the results have barcodes or qr codes and if they do, what for? so the fremont county sheriff's department can scan them in the wyoming state database and valid it?

this wasn't thought thru....which is fine for me but i think it puts us all in a bad spot.

i could be wrong, maybe the online test requires you to put your faa reg # where it will mark you as test passed or lock you out for 30 days if you fail. that would be better, i guess. still not a fan. if i am a hobbyist and i pass the test, how many drones can i "sponsor" before i get flagged in the system? ;)

I don't know about that, somebody mentioned a $150 to take the test, sounds like they might have hired a testing company and we may have to go take the test at a testing center under "supervision".

That's the Part 107 test. The FAA has said recently that the recreational test will be online.

@kensteele Seriously, only those who are interested in learning about the NAS will look for and attentively watch an instructional video about it on YT, and there will be many who don’t care about it and will fly their own way. The FAA’s role is to lessen the risks in the NAS, and has had a good track record of doing it by certifying pilots and providing training. Yea, government training.

It doesn't matter To the FAA what you do to "Study" for a test on information you should already know.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54