DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New firmware benefit

Casey

Reactions
Not sure if anyone has noticed but it appears that with the new firmware there is a change to focusing. Now when I hit the record button, the camera goes through its auto focus as if I had hit the c1 button. When focusing is complete it starts recording.

This is awesome. I can't count the times I have forgotten to focus.

That is great news. I hope this will help with night time flying. As I would be filming my show at nite.

SkyHigh Pyro Eye flying above

This is good to hear, I haven't been able to fly for 3 days, or until Sunday, as the pineapple express has arrived and the rain is non-stop :( I did play with it to set up my iPad Air2, man what a difference from a 6+ in screen real estate.!! I have a tripod & mount with sunshade along with a 10' lightning cable for field flying, but am waiting on a controller mount. Well, it is winter so lots of time to settle on a setup.

Reactions: lifeismusic
Does it autofocus when you take a picture? or just video?

Does it autofocus when you take a picture? or just video?

Upon further review it's a little different than I thought, but it is still awesome. So it auto focuses when it takes off. No matter if it's in video or picture mode. I tried it on the ground and it wouldn't focus when I hit the record or picture button. So i initiated launch and as soon as I did the green square and "AF" appeared on screen and it did it's focusing beep. It did this in both video and camera mode.

Thank you DJI!!

The Mavic has auto focused shortly after take off for the last few f/w updates, this is nothing new.
However if it does a/f again when you hit record then this is not necessarily a good thing. We all know you have hit the screen to focus now right. So you focus on a subject, eg. infinity then hit record but there are tree branches in the way and the Mavic focuses again... result = ruined video until you focus to infinity again. If this is the case I hope they put a switch in to be able to turn this off.

Reactions: Kilrah
I wonder what happens if you have it on manual focus, I've tried that and it seems to have a mind of it's own - quite hard to get it to stay where you want.

That is great news. I hope this will help with night time flying. As I would be filming my show at nite.

Will make no difference with night time flying, it is very difficult for any optics to focus distant objects in low light. Here you really need to use manual focus.

The Mavic has auto focused shortly after take off for the last few f/w updates, this is nothing new.
However if it does a/f again when you hit record then this is not necessarily a good thing. We all know you have hit the screen to focus now right. So you focus on a subject, eg. infinity then hit record but there are tree branches in the way and the Mavic focuses again... result = ruined video until you focus to infinity again. If this is the case I hope they put a switch in to be able to turn this off.

Really?!? So myself and the hundreds upon hundreds of people who always forgot to focus just has the wrong firmware? Wow. Thanks man

Really?!? So myself and the hundreds upon hundreds of people who always forgot to focus just has the wrong firmware? Wow. Thanks man

Well yeah :)

Seriously, the auto focus after take off was put in place with the penultimate firmware if not the one before, I honestly cannot remember. You have to remember that it auto focuses after a certain time or height so it would depend on where the Mavic actually was, possibly taking away the fact you actually noticed it. But trust me it was there!

Will make no difference with night time flying, it is very difficult for any optics to focus distant objects in low light. Here you really need to use manual focus.
True, but in what I am shooting (fireworks) it would be even harder to manual focus b4 they burn out. Unless i am missing something else. My GoPro cameras do great for ground video, just trying to get a new view and eye on my show. Always open to help in this.

While it is true that the Mavic pro focuses upon take off and has done this since being introduced, what is now new is that it also focuses prior to starting the recording of video. Good or bad, that's what it does. Even if it center focuses as opposed to a user selected focus point upon starting recording, at least for me, this reminds me to focus if I haven't or refocus where I initially did.

While it is true that the Mavic pro focuses upon take off and has done this since being introduced, what is now new is that it also focuses prior to starting the recording of video. Good or bad, that's what it does. Even if it center focuses as opposed to a user selected focus point upon starting recording, at least for me, this reminds me to focus if I haven't or refocus where I initially did.

Have you been able to confirm this please? I have heard conflicting info on another forum that it does not focus when you start to record. No biggie though as mine will be back from the docs next week so can try myself.

True, but in what I am shooting (fireworks) it would be even harder to manual focus b4 they burn out. Unless i am missing something else. My GoPro cameras do great for ground video, just trying to get a new view and eye on my show. Always open to help in this.

Wish I could help more but not my field really! Am sure others can offer advice. Is the GoPro not fixed focus though which makes it a little easier anyway. With Manual focus and fireworks, I would have though just focus to infinity and make sure you do not get overly close. Saying that, I did not know it was fireworks so the added light might actually make it a lot easier to focus on. Looking forward to see lots of footage though! :)

How does this affect mapping using apps like Drone Deploy. Using DD you just set the mission and it does everything. Is there a way to ensure focus is correct before you spend a lot of time running missions.

Reactions: thornstein
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan