DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Firmware

I think u mean fly more... fly away is a bad bad thing :)

Roger that! Having had the "Fly Away" experience with my Walkera QR X350 PRO on its second flight with no recovery I'm particularly sensitive to this difference.:(

Reactions: Mr Spock
The cause of this type of crash is to do with wrongly Calibrating the stick. You just can't wiggle the stick to every corner and hope for the best. You have to trace slowly a continuous square line with the control sticks, any breaks in the line must be filled in our you risk the compass errors that cause this type of uncontrolled flight

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Where is this stick calibration screen at? I have yet to see or find it!

The cause of this type of crash is to do with wrongly Calibrating the stick. You just can't wiggle the stick to every corner and hope for the best. You have to trace slowly a continuous square line with the control sticks, any breaks in the line must be filled in our you risk the compass errors that cause this type of uncontrolled flight

This is TBE, and has nothing to do with stick calibration, maybe you meant COMPASS calibration, which is more likely the cause. A bad stick calibration will normally result in a drift in the direction of the bad number. My right stick for example will not 'zero', and rests at 5% no matter how many time I calibrate it. But the bird is NAILED to the sky at hover and flies straight as a arrow, so I am not worried about it. I do have a support ticket on it just in case as I want it on record but every flight is perfect so far.

There actually were suspicions around stick calibration and the controller detecting stick inputs when there were none before the last firmware update.
Not sure if it ever was confirmed though, the issue seems to have magically disappeared.

There actually were suspicions around stick calibration and the controller detecting stick inputs when there were none before the last firmware update.
Not sure if it ever was confirmed though, the issue seems to have magically disappeared.
Kilrah, the "Ghost stick movements" that led to strong yawing and other stuff was fixed in the 11-9, its not mentioned directly but 3 of the version history revolve arount Controller Problems...
Since excatly THEN there has been no such incident in the DJI Forum.
Some of the "GPS Lost" TBE Problems were first accounted to that but then it turned out to be different (high sat count but bad GPS Quality + TBE ... still unresolved)

Ender

Where is this stick calibration screen at? I have yet to see or find it!
From the main screen touch the drone icon top centre of the screen. You should be in MC settings as indicated on the screen. Choose the third icon down the drop down list of the MC settings screen, which looks like a controller icon. The first line will read "Remote controller calibration".

This is TBE, and has nothing to do with stick calibration, maybe you meant COMPASS calibration, which is more likely the cause. A bad stick calibration will normally result in a drift in the direction of the bad number. My right stick for example will not 'zero', and rests at 5% no matter how many time I calibrate it. But the bird is NAILED to the sky at hover and flies straight as a arrow, so I am not worried about it. I do have a support ticket on it just in case as I want it on record but every flight is perfect so far.

Actually the sticks do affect compass they are magnetic unlike previous DJI phantoms where you could wiggle them as much as you like. With the Mavic you need to move very slowly in a square they can cause conflicts between the compass and the remote if not properly calibrated

Last edited:
Actually the sticks do affect compass they are magnetic unlike previous DJI phantoms where you could wiggle them as much as you like. With the Mavic you need to move very slowly in a square

Ah, the 'sticks' are on the CONTROLLER, and the COMPASS is on the Mavic, please tell me how the very small magnetic field generated by the sticks can affect the Mavic hundreds of feet away?

Ah, the 'sticks' are on the CONTROLLER, and the COMPASS is on the Mavic, please tell me how the very small magnetic field generated by the sticks can affect the Mavic hundreds of feet away?
The sticks are not analogue. When you move them you are moving a set of magnets that in turn trigger induction sensors underneeth the sticks. There is no physical contact between the sticks and the actual controller. Magnetic input is what the controller receives as a result of your physical input so electromagnetic interference near the controller could result in errors in the controller inputs.

The sticks are not analogue. When you move them you are moving a set of magnets that in turn trigger induction sensors underneeth the sticks. There is no physical contact between the sticks and the actual controller. Magnetic input is what the controller receives as a result of your physical input so electromagnetic interference near the controller could result in errors in the controller inputs.
F6Rider never said the sticks are analogue! He pointed out quite rightly that the sticks CANNOT effect the compass, which was in reply to a post that they could. There was no mention of any external influence on the controller themselves in the last few posts. :)

Even if badly calibrated they will not effect the compass on the Mavic, they will simply give irattic inputs and commands to the Mavic.

F6Rider never said the sticks are analogue! He pointed out quite rightly that the sticks CANNOT effect the compass, which was in reply to a post that they could. There was no mention of any external influence on the controller themselves in the last few posts
Yes, in his.
He doesn't seem to understand that the sticks are read by magnetic sensors and that it's those that this is about, and keeps thinking people are talking of sticks causing interference to the aircraft's compass.

I never suggested the magnet in the sticks affected the compass directly I said that poorly calibrated sticks meant there was a conflict between the stick and the drone. i.e. The stick position and direction is at conflict with the drone compass position and direction leading to weird responses to the sticks which many users reported caused their crash. Properly calibrating by completing the box prevents this.

Last edited:
Yes, in his.
He doesn't seem to understand that the sticks are read by magnetic sensors and that it's those that this is about, and keeps thinking people are talking of sticks causing interference to the aircraft's compass.

He understands ok Kilrah, please read his reply and teslars post (see below also).
EDIT: Sorry, maybe you were agreeing with me?!? :)

I never suggested the magnet in the sticks affected the compass I said that poorly calibrated sticks meant there was a conflict between the stick and the drone. i.e. The stick position and direction is at conflict with the drone compass position and direction leading to weird responses to the sticks which many users reported caused their crash. Properly calibrating by completing the box prevents this.

Then I assume your post was badly written as that is exactly what you did imply, sorry!

Actually the sticks do affect compass they are magnetic unlike previous DJI phantoms where you could wiggle them as much as you like. With the Mavic you need to move very slowly in a square they can cause conflicts between the compass and the remote if not properly calibrated

They cannot cause conflicts between the COMPASS and the REMOTE if badly calibrated. All they can do is cause incorrect inputs to be sent to the Mavic. You meant that badly calibrated sticks can cause a conflict between what input you give on the controller to what the Mavic actually receives. It is simply throwing the word compass in the equation that started this sub-discussion. ;)Thumbswayup

So if the badly calibrated sticks move the drone in a different way to what is intended surely that is called a conflict between where the drone is positioned according to its compass. I perhaps could have worded my posts better but I never suggested magnets in the remote affected the compass directly

No. It's really purely a control issue that stays internal to the remote, there is absolutely no relation to the aircraft or its compass whatsoever.
Implying there was one is what caused the mess.

Last edited:
Reactions: chippie
So if the badly calibrated sticks move the drone in a different way to what is intended surely that is called a conflict between where the drone is positioned according to its compass. I perhaps could have worded my posts better but I never suggested magnets in the remote affected the compass directly

Well sort of but this is still not correct as the drone does not know that the commands it is receiving are not what the pilot is inputting, as far as it knows it is simply doing what the pilot is telling it to, even though the pilot is not actually doing anything. There is no conflict between drone where the drone is positioned and its compass at all. The issues that were experienced by some people was that the drone was not responding to stick movements or the Mavic was yawing without input.

The TBE was "possibly" a combination of badly calibrated sticks and compass but the first never had any bearing on the latter, just 2 separate issues which resulted in some crashes.

No. It's really purely a control issue that stays internal to the remote, there is absolutely no relation to the aircraft or its compass whatsoever.
Implying there was one is what caused the mess.

Ok but genuine question why would the drone continue to yaw/spin with no inputs from the sticks as seen and described in many toilet bowl stories

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman