DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Flyer...Rethinking my Purchase.

You well love it hold on to it and enjoy. The guys on the fourms are great they all love to help out if you have problems .

Make the effort to learn in detail how it works and don't do the crazy yahoo stuff that is (often) just bound to end in an accident and you will be fine.
Love mine with over 150 solid, trouble free flights to-date. I also took it out several times some 700 m. from the shore to film ocean-going ships on the St. Lawrence river, lots of fun!

My most expensive toy to date. Not regretted it once though. Thinking about why this new hobby makes me so happy. It contributes to my need for freedom, exploration (new perspectives), adventure (yes there are some risks involved), learning, play and beauty (some of the photos and videos ar just amazing).

Looking into every crash report I can find. Almost without exception all due to pilot error which could happen to me as well. Thats why I try to learn from the mistakes from others :)

Thanks for the positive advice, except "Probably for the best" which is of no help whatsoever. No restocking fee, I bought it off of Amazon. Never thought that mostly problems discussed on here which is a good thing.

You came in here wanting us to sell you on the Mavic. This thread is a joke. I made you from a mile away...

Reactions: ChopSticks
Read the Manual, watch more YouTube instruction , you will find it is very good fun !
always understand the limitation before flying !
I love Mavic , so far , no problems at all !

Thanks for all the positive comments, I am going to keep it. I live in rural Ohio so I am able to fly if right from my front yard and go in any direction. Then take it on vacations. I just retired and was looking for a hobby. Seen a guy fly his Phantom 3 out over the ocean and back. I was hooked from that point. Being an RC plane and helicopter flyer for years I am not a total newbie to this but much more sophisticated and complicated. We had a $1000 African Grey Parrot fly off into the sunset a few years back so it wouldnt be the first time...LOL.
Hivoltage watch all the YouTube videos on the mavic you can and read your manuals you well love it

Thanks for all the positive comments, I am going to keep it. I live in rural Ohio so I am able to fly if right from my front yard and go in any direction. Then take it on vacations. I just retired and was looking for a hobby. Seen a guy fly his Phantom 3 out over the ocean and back. I was hooked from that point. Being an RC plane and helicopter flyer for years I am not a total newbie to this but much more sophisticated and complicated. We had a $1000 African Grey Parrot fly off into the sunset a few years back so it wouldnt be the first time...LOL.

Those darn Greys don't have a RTH button? LOL
That must have been hard to see that bird fly away. I had a cockatiel do that to me when I lived in VT. Forgot he was on the outside of his cage and came inside from garden holding veggies and door stayed open too long, Petie went out and never came back.

But as for the Mavic go fly that thing and have fun. Like everyone here has said read all the documents and if you have questions this is the best place to ask them and remember no question is a dumb or stupid one. We all had to start out as newbies!

Reactions: Soundtekk
Hi there..
I am new to the Mavic.
I initially bought the Blade Chroma Combo kit and was very happy until I tried to set it all up.... bare in mind this was my first purchase in the Drone world.
So after returning the Blade unused I asked which of the current Drones is going to be the best in Quality and affordability...

Long story short I was going to walk away from the Mavic as I was unsure.
The box sat at home for 3 days untouched until curiosity got the better!!

I'm so so glad I opened the box...

The build quality is on another scale.

My first flight was short BUT I knew I was hooked!!

In a few Days between working and family I've clocked up thousands of KM's.... love it!!

Hey I even skipped playing golf to fly this and seeing as that's my life it really does say something!!

As many on here have said:

Read , check and read some more then go have fun, taking your time but honestly the Rewards are fantastic!

Hi, I just got my Mavic, it is still in the unopened box. I have been playing with smaller quad copters and having a blast. I was expecting a "sticky" on this forum for newbies with things to get prepared for the first flight, but see none. ( Anybody know of one) ?.

That being said.....after reading about all the FAA hassle, no fly zones, problems, issues, flyaways , crashes for no apparent reason,etc., I might send this thing back. Just seems like from the research I have done on here, this thing is more trouble than fun. Dont want any fines, people complaining, shot out of the sky, things like that. Just looking for some positive advise. I used to fly RC helicopters so flying the thing is the least of my worries. Thanks!

Here you go...
Unboxing to 1st Flight Video,

Reactions: CC Rider

You have chosen wisely, Hivoltage. Now good luck getting up and running.

As long as you follow ALL of the excellent advice and tips SO many happy Mavic Pro pilots here have given you thus far, you cannot go wrong. The Mavic IS one of the best drones on the market, hands down. You will be limited in its use only by your imagination. The Mavic's transmission range and reliability are second to none. Having redundant systems on board - including its object avoidance sensors front and bottom and its guidance systems - helps greatly in avoiding an accident of most usual sorts. The Mavic's Smart Return To Home functions are always there to lend you a hand, too. The App you will be using to pilot the aircraft is far-reaching in its scope, giving you all of the telemetry data you need to ensure a safe flight. In short, it is one tremendous machine packaged in an unbelievably small footprint.

However, before you just take to the skies, I would strongly urge you to totally exhaust the countless videos on the Mavic Pro available on YouTube, covering everything from unboxing the unit to using its automated flight functions, as well as using the search function available in this Forum to search out any specific questions you may have about your Mavic. (Just use the magnifying glass located at the upper right hand side of the page, type in your question, and the results will tumble right to you.) If not, you WILL make matters much more difficult for you as you go about learning all you need to about your Mavic Pro and will risk losing or injuring it through pure, simple lack of know how. Those videos, the Mavic threads already posted here, AND altitude will be your best friends as you proceed. FYI: Please don't attempt flying your Mavic indoors, either. Resist the temptation, despite what you may see or read.By and large, such flights just do not end well.

Wishing you only the best as you enjoy yourself on this new adventure you are about to take. Take everyone's (well, almost everyone's) words for it. You will not be sorry you decided to keep your Mavic Pro and will soon discover just how fantastic its design and flow are to helping to make you a good Mavic pilot faster than you can imagine. Always err on the side of safety, your gut feelings, and good ol' common sense as you go along. Only work within your comfort zone - and the FAA regs - and do not rush yourself at all. Slow and steady does win this race. Safe flying, and welcome to the club.

Last edited:
Those darn Greys don't have a RTH button? LOL
That must have been hard to see that bird fly away. I had a cockatiel do that to me when I lived in VT. Forgot he was on the outside of his cage and came inside from garden holding veggies and door stayed open too long, Petie went out and never came back.

But as for the Mavic go fly that thing and have fun. Like everyone here has said read all the documents and if you have questions this is the best place to ask them and remember no question is a dumb or stupid one. We all had to start out as newbies!
Rocky flew off my wives fingers as she was bringing him in from his outside cage. He was hand fed as a baby Grey. We seen him in a tree at the top of our hill. He went up and tried to coax him down with toys and mirrors but he just looked at us. As darkness set in I shook the tree and off he went. Hopefully somebody found hin and he is alive and well!!!!

You have chosen wisely, Hivoltage. Now good luck getting up and running.

As long as you follow ALL of the excellent advice and tips SO many happy Mavic Pro pilots here have given you thus far, you cannot go wrong. The Mavic IS one of the best drones on the market, hands down. You will be limited in its use only by your imagination. The Mavic's transmission range and reliability are second to none. Having redundant systems on board - including its object avoidance sensors front and bottom and its guidance systems - helps greatly in avoiding an accident of most usual sorts. The Mavic's Smart Return To Home functions are always there to lend you a hand, too. The App you will be using to pilot the aircraft is far-reaching in its scope, giving you all of the telemetry data you need to ensure a safe flight. In short, it is one tremendous machine packaged in an unbelievably small footprint.

However, before you just take to the skies, I would strongly urge you to totally exhaust the countless videos on the Mavic Pro available on YouTube, covering everything from unboxing the unit to using its automated flight functions, as well as using the search function available in this Forum to search out any specific questions you may have about your Mavic. (Just use the magnifying glass located at the upper right hand side of the page, type in your question, and the results will tumble right to you.) If not, you WILL make matters much more difficult for you as you go about learning all you need to about your Mavic Pro and will risk losing or injuring it through pure, simple lack of know how. Those videos, the Mavic threads already posted here, AND altitude will be your best friends as you proceed. FYI: Please don't attempt flying your Mavic indoors, either. Resist the temptation, despite what you may see or read.By and large, such flights just do not end well.

Wishing you only the best as you enjoy yourself on this new adventure you are about to take. Take everyone's (well, almost everyone's) words for it. You will not be sorry you decided to keep your Mavic Pro and will soon discover just how fantastic its design and flow are to helping to make you a good Mavic pilot faster than you can imagine. Always err on the side of safety, your gut feelings, and good ol' common sense as you go along. Only work within your comfort zone - and the FAA regs - and do not rush yourself at all. Slow and steady does win this race. Safe flying, and welcome to the club.
No indoor flying I promise. I have small quadcopters for that!!!

Reactions: CC Rider
I have had mine since January from Best buy in Canada. Paid $2000 Canadian for it as I got the more fly combo. Before this I got a $35 drone it's in neighbors tree. Then I got a $100 drone from Canadian tire. And after about 3 weeks a motor gear stripped out . So I looked up best drone and while looking one of the comments said to check out this new drone the DJI Mavic Pro. It is fun easy to use and problem free for me and if it is not snowing I am flying. My 8 year old girl flies it with me right there and for now in beginner mode or tripod.
Most of the stuff you will read here are problems people are having mine has about 50 hours of flight time with no problems.
That being said if you never got the more fly combo then yes you should send it back then get it with the more fly combo. Then call you home insurance people and get insurance on it.

Hi, I just got my Mavic, it is still in the unopened box. I have been playing with smaller quad copters and having a blast. I was expecting a "sticky" on this forum for newbies with things to get prepared for the first flight, but see none. ( Anybody know of one) ?.

That being said.....after reading about all the FAA hassle, no fly zones, problems, issues, flyaways , crashes for no apparent reason,etc., I might send this thing back. Just seems like from the research I have done on here, this thing is more trouble than fun. Dont want any fines, people complaining, shot out of the sky, things like that. Just looking for some positive advise. I used to fly RC helicopters so flying the thing is the least of my worries. Thanks!
If you have flown RC helis you will be fine. Ive been flying RC helis and planes for 7 years. Have a Raptor 30 and a Raptor 90. Having flown Helis you will know that RC craft dont just fall out of the sky. Its like a newbie telling you his heli appears faulty because he just lost control and it was totalled. It doesnt happen. Well it does, but thats 2% of flaws. 99% of flyaways, crashes and sad stories are due to pilot error and users being inexperienced behind the sticks. I can tell you that for 90% of the flyers on this forum, the Mavic is their first EVER rc craft. Not to mention not many have experience in flying craft with cameras on. Read the manual and you will be cool. Ive had no bad stories to comment on. And ive been flying everyday for the last 5 months. Today i took a hop in 35km/ph winds that around 20 mph. And yes the conditions were tough.. Got 3 severe wind warnings. But just applying basic flying skills it did just fine. Dont read the horror stories and be put off. Its an amazing craft but has short falls. Learn the limitations and dont rely on the crafts TECH INNOVATIONS to keep you from danger. Take it step by step and you will have alot of fun while shooting some amaaaaaazing video

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman