DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Flyer...Rethinking my Purchase.

I am a seasoned drone pilot and I too have had a few moments of "was it worth the price paid???" I took it AZ on vacation .I did fly it a fair amount when I had a few moments.My real drone adventure was to shoot the Gila abandoned airport with the planes sitting on the tarmac(yes they are there).But I got shut down before flight(see my previous post on the flight attempt)...
I did get a few nice flights on the motorcycle ride to Prescott as the curvy mountain roads and blue sky proved to be awesome fun.
Alos attempted to test the follow me modes and the GPS locking mode. The follow me worked fairly well. The GPS did not.
I had a drift into a pole at my buddies house that should not have happened.It broke one prop and to it's credit nothing else... After that and the various connection disconnect issues it makes you wonder if you were sold a pig in a poke.

Flying with trepidation...

Reactions: Hivoltage
If you have flown RC helis you will be fine. Ive been flying RC helis and planes for 7 years. Have a Raptor 30 and a Raptor 90. Having flown Helis you will know that RC craft dont just fall out of the sky. Its like a newbie telling you his heli appears faulty because he just lost control and it was totalled. It doesnt happen. Well it does, but thats 2% of flaws. 99% of flyaways, crashes and sad stories are due to pilot error and users being inexperienced behind the sticks. I can tell you that for 90% of the flyers on this forum, the Mavic is their first EVER rc craft. Not to mention not many have experience in flying craft with cameras on. Read the manual and you will be cool. Ive had no bad stories to comment on. And ive been flying everyday for the last 5 months. Today i took a hop in 35km/ph winds that around 20 mph. And yes the conditions were tough.. Got 3 severe wind warnings. But just applying basic flying skills it did just fine. Dont read the horror stories and be put off. Its an amazing craft but has short falls. Learn the limitations and dont rely on the crafts TECH INNOVATIONS to keep you from danger. Take it step by step and you will have alot of fun while shooting some amaaaaaazing video
I too had a Raptor 30...good to know they still sell them. Was a great flyer. Its been several years since I have flown one but I hovered my small Syma quad nose in on the first flight. Felt good about that !!

Greatest toy I have ever owned. Easy to fly (my 8 year old flies) and so much fun. Spend the money enjoy some time outside. Well worth the investment. May go fly now- it's 9:31 pm in Chicago

Ipad seems to have the least amount of problems

If it was easy, everyone would do it. Fact if he matter is that the Mavic is nothjng short of a Modern Marvel. Similar to the early days of the iPhone. It's an amazing piece of equipment. However, one must learn how to master said Marvel. That requires some education. Hence, this forum. There's a community around the Mavic. It's this forum. My Mavic may fly away but I will buy another and keep on in this forum. It may get shot down I will buy another and come back to this forum. I saw a guy in a pickup on the Howard Frankland Bridge.
af9d50d3b332865e492d54eec901b143.jpg

What you can't see is "Drone Life" under the Phantom And I can relate There is a community - it's right here...
Amen.

Last edited:
Dude, the thing is a blast. It is a trip how far it will go and it flies soo good. I know i complained about the CSC but other than that the thing is the funnest drone I have ever flown. I use fly rc copters too. The mav is also fast in the sport mode I never fly it in the other mode anymore. You will get to see all your neighbors backyards. :D. I don't regret the purchase at all it is soo much better than the Hubsan 501s I bought to fly while waiting for the mav. The videos and the pics are just a plus to me. Flying and checking out the landscape is the fun thing.

There's nothing to worry about, I'm a rook and 9 flights later I'm loving this thing even my wife she never never did fly a drone before and she love it, so don't worry enjoy it, this is one of the pics my wife took yesterday
4cf85826f6ad8f01e9c187d0d72dee3e.jpg
Awesome picture!

Hi, I just got my Mavic, it is still in the unopened box. I have been playing with smaller quad copters and having a blast. I was expecting a "sticky" on this forum for newbies with things to get prepared for the first flight, but see none. ( Anybody know of one) ?.

That being said.....after reading about all the FAA hassle, no fly zones, problems, issues, flyaways , crashes for no apparent reason,etc., I might send this thing back. Just seems like from the research I have done on here, this thing is more trouble than fun. Dont want any fines, people complaining, shot out of the sky, things like that. Just looking for some positive advise. I used to fly RC helicopters so flying the thing is the least of my worries. Thanks!
I can empathize with your hesitation. I've logged enough flights on Mavic to feel comfortable: 70 flights, 452,096 ft. 13Hr38Min.

I've called and cleared with local ATCs and Heliports. Honestly, it's a hassle. And when you goto places, you need to research the local and park rules and regulations. What do other experienced drone pilots tell me to do about the hassle? Find out for yourself.

Is Mavic fun to fly? Is it an amazing flying camera? Yes. Incredible. Sports mode is wicked cool.

Is Mavic something you can whip out at a local beach or near boardwalk to fly and film? No, not in front of people or anywhere it's busy (I'm not suggesting you do). You'd need to find somewhere quiet to launch. Oh did I mention checking the rules? Now you're on private property. Then, try flying it from this quiet launch point. It's hard not to fly BLOS to get good shots (read FAA). Signals for RC and video degrade with buildings in the way.

You asked for an honest opinion. There.

I've had ZERO problem with the Mavic (knock on wood). I'm now exploring non-DJI apps (Litchi, Autopilots, etc.). Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soundtekk
What other apps?

Litchi and Autopilot are the two most talked about. I have both and am exploring them before use. Autopilot has many options and videos to explain them. Looks great, although right now they have comparability issues with the latest DJI update. I am sure they will catch up.
Have you taken the plunge yet???

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead