DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New MA owner

mcgyversm3

Reactions
Hey guys not new to the forums but new to flying drones.

Preordered a Mavic pro back in late 2016 but canceled it with that whole delay. Finally purchased a mavic Air and I’m really glad i waited.

I love this thing and i love how much more travel friendly it is than the pro but has better features than the spark (almost bought one before the air was announced....[emoji45])

I’m located in the NY/Long Island area.

Reactions: Kevjones777
Welcome, I am also a new MA owner...one hour flying under my belt already. Enjoy your new drone and be safe...

Hey guys not new to the forums but new to flying drones.

Preordered a Mavic pro back in late 2016 but canceled it with that whole delay. Finally purchased a mavic Air and I’m really glad i waited.

I love this thing and i love how much more travel friendly it is than the pro but has better features than the spark (almost bought one before the air was announced....[emoji45])

I’m located in the NY/Long Island area.
Enjoy your MA! It is a really cool piece of technology in a super-usable form factor. I'm from the Long Island area as well and definitely looking forward to the warmer weather Thumbswayup

Isn't it fun!? I've had my Mavic Air for over a month now and I've had some incredible footage with it already. Sport mode is super fun to fly in. This thing is a beast!

Upgrades/accessories I would highly recommend:
- iPad Mini 4 for larger, more responsive display screen
- MavMount 3.0 for iPad Mini - fits the controller and iPad perfectly, well made
- 8" right angle lightning USB cable to connect iPad to remote w/ mount
- 4Hawkz Raptor SR Range Extender - get Mavic Pro like distance, and better signal strength

ALSO make sure you look into Personal Articles Policy insurance to cover your drone. Use State Farm, it should cost you no more than $60 per year for $0 deductible and full coverage for loss, damage, theft, anything - anywhere in the world. You can view a list of agents with experience writing policies for drones here: State Farm UAS Agents

Well worth it IMO.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: BaNZ
Take it slow, learn how to fully control the MA. Always keep an eye on it, don't push your luck, and be sure to do some preflight checks - it can easily be the difference between having a drone or having a crashed one. Also be careful when flying backwards; it's easy to fly into things when you're not seeing where you're going. :)

Above all else have fun and enjoy your new drone! The MA rocks. :)

Isn't it fun!? I've had my Mavic Air for over a month now and I've had some incredible footage with it already. Sport mode is super fun to fly in. This thing is a beast!

Upgrades/accessories I would highly recommend:
- iPad Mini 4 for larger, more responsive display screen
- MavMount 3.0 for iPad Mini - fits the controller and iPad perfectly, well made
- 8" right angle lightning USB cable to connect iPad to remote w/ mount
- 4Hawkz Raptor SR Range Extender - get Mavic Pro like distance, and better signal strength

ALSO make sure you look into Personal Articles Policy insurance to cover your drone. Use State Farm, it should cost you no more than $60 per year for $0 deductible and full coverage for loss, damage, theft, anything - anywhere in the world. You can view a list of agents with experience writing policies for drones here: State Farm UAS Agents

Well worth it IMO.

Enjoy!

Thanks so much I’ll definitely look into it already purchased the dji care refresh but will get this as a back up

Thanks for the upgrade suggestions as well. I want to get some more flight time under my belt before trying sport mode

Take it slow, learn how to fully control the MA. Always keep an eye on it, don't push your luck, and be sure to do some preflight checks - it can easily be the difference between having a drone or having a crashed one. Also be careful when flying backwards; it's easy to fly into things when you're not seeing where you're going. :)

Above all else have fun and enjoy your new drone! The MA rocks. :)

Thanks I’ll be sure to keep this in mind

Reactions: djorgen
I just got mine recently too. My first ever drone and I'm in Manhattan. If possible, PM me some good places to fly! I can't wait till try it outdoor this weekend.

I just got mine recently too. My first ever drone and I'm in Manhattan. If possible, PM me some good places to fly! I can't wait till try it outdoor this weekend.

Download B4UFly app or AirMap (still trying to figure out which to follow)

I’m in Long Island so there’s more space that not restricted. Manhattan is limited her are screenshots from both apps
ea5174bb3b0646ed284cb9298c1c7c7d.jpg
ae2b3c4a5b0f36bf2f6e68a2c4c96080.jpg

I got both of the apps. Based on the app, there is helipad everywhere so I really don't think I can fly without notifying the nearby authorities which is a pain. I'll probably just go to the park listed such as Flushing meadow, la tourette, calvert in brooklyn etc.

I got both of the apps. Based on the app, there is helipad everywhere so I really don't think I can fly without notifying the nearby authorities which is a pain. I'll probably just go to the park listed such as Flushing meadow, la tourette, calvert in brooklyn etc.

Yea if you can make it out to LI it’s easier