DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Air 2S pilot living in DC where I have to go 15miles out of state to fly it

WELCOME to the forum :)

You'll want to visit FAADroneZone and REGISTER your aircraft and properly "mark it".

Then go over to FAA TRUST Online Portal for Recreational Drone Operators - Pilot Institute and take the TRUST! Once you've completed it PRINT OUT (I also suggest making a PDF copy as well) so you have a copy to have in person if you're asked by authorities about it.

If you plan to do any type of flying that is not 100% Recreational you'll want to research, take, and pass the FAA Part 107 Exam (Remote Pilot In Command). This covers anything outside of Recreational normal UAS flying :)

Learn how to check for Airspace Restrictions and how to "request approval" for areas allowing approved flights (not many in DC unfortunately).

Good luck and get ready for an AWESOME adventure :)

Allen

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum! Thumbswayup

welcome to the forum ,sorry cant help you with places to fly ,but i am sure there are forum members who can

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum! :)

Mainly bought my drone for vacations/travels, but would love any input on places to fly around the District's "No-Fly Zone". Thanks!
Welcome to the MavicPilots forum from nearby Laurel, Md. You have joined, without question, the best drone Forum on the Internet! I feel and experience your pain since I’m only 1 1/2 miles outside of the 15 mile radius ring. There’s been many times I’ve wanted to travel south from my location to fly but just not allowed to do it. When I first got my Air 2S a year ago, I asked the same questions as you. I soon realized that to fly within the outer 15 to 30 mile ring, I simply had to explore, both by maps and by driving around looking for suitable areas. While there may indeed be some huge “named” parks in which I can fly, I haven’t found them. Keep in mind that some State and County parks may be “flyable” while others are “no fly zones.” You simply have to do your due diligence and research areas in which you may want to fly, using the apps mentioned above by other members here. Enjoy, and happy flying!

Welcome to the forum from the dry lakeless hills of Lake City FL. An irony... I know. If lakes grew here as much as your knowledge will, Lake City would become an ocean. ;)

Welcome again!

Mainly bought my drone for vacations/travels, but would love any input on places to fly around the District's "No-Fly Zone". Thanks!
Welcome from Long Island NY. Godspeed, Droniac

I live ln Frederick Md and as much as I would love to do some flying and shoot some video in DC I won't go anywhere near it. There are just too many ways to get into trouble anywhere inside of the big red circle that surrounds DC.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos