DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New owner...so which one to buy....iPad mini 2 , 3 or 4?

Reactions
I am using my Mavic with a iPhone 5s and was initially thinking of buying an android tablet but read about all the issues.
So it is up to an iPad mini...
I must go for the cellular one correct?
And are there any major diffs to justify the price tag of the 4 versus the 2?
Are they both ideal for our Mavic?

Thank you

Has to be 2 or 4. 3 was a complete waste of time as the only upgrade from 2 was TouchID.

I have 2 and works just great. Get cellular if you want to use intelligent flight modes like follow me.

The cellular model contains a GPS receiver. That means you'll be able to use the Follow Me flight mode and manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off. If you don't need to use either of those features, then a Wi-Fi only iPad Mini would be the best choice if you want to save some cash.

The iPad Mini 4 is faster, lighter, brighter, thinner, has an anti-reflective coating, and will not overheat as quickly if flying in hotter temperatures.

Both will be able to run DJI GO 4.

So any android tablet that will work great? Or even a Windows one!
You cannot used a Windows device.

The Google Nexus 7 (2013) and Nvidia Shield K1 work well. Check out this list for other recommended and commonly used Android devices.

Ps. 16 ,32 or 64gigs of mini 4? Does it matter?
16GB is plenty if you're just going to use your iPad Mini to fly the Mavic. You should get a larger iPad Mini if you plan to install a lot of other apps and/or want to store a lot of photos/videos on the iPad Mini.

Last edited:
The k1 and nexus must be cellular like the iPad mini so as have the follow me mode enabled?
No. They both have GPS receivers.

Apple devices must be the cellular model since only cellular Apple devices contain a GPS receiver.

Regarding the Nexus 7: it is no garantuee.... mine did bug out a few times. So I bought an iPad mini.
Was trying to get a refurbished one for a small price, but all were either expensive or not the specs I wanted. In the end I went for a new ipad Mini 4 WiFi 128Gb.
Reasoning:
  • the newer, the longer it will last wrt updates, etc.
  • more storage is always better. I could only choose between 32GB and 128, where the upgrade to 128 was "only" 60 euros more, so went for that.
  • the cellular version was sold out in the Netherlands at the time and cost a whopping €130,- extra... decided against that and haven't missed it tbh.
In the end, it was about €500,- unplanned extra on top of my mavic purchase, which pissed me off big time. On the other hand, I now fly care-free without any concerns about the app crashing... piece of mind which I value a lot, and I can use the iPad as a normal tablet as well, so I'm ok with it.

I am using my Mavic with a iPhone 5s and was initially thinking of buying an android tablet but read about all the issues.
So it is up to an iPad mini...

Thank you
I have both mini 2 and 4, both on cellular
I suggest u get ipad mini 4 with cellular :
It has brighter screen than mini 2
I can only see the reflection of my face on my mini 2 under any level of sun's brightness
Faster loading than mini 2
It has gps (no gps on non cellular)

Reactions: Bzzz and namja
Oya, expect quite a heat from your ipad mini while flying the drone
I dont know what cause this :
the screen brightness
Or the heat from the processor

iPad Mini 4 with Cellular is the best option.

I have owned iPad Mini 2, 3, 4, with and without cellular, and the iPad Mini 4 is definitely a step up from 2 or 3. But I still prefer to use my iPhone 6S Plus when flying the Mavic Pro. To me, I much prefer holding the 5.5" screen than the 7.9" screen when flying. I like to run around, and the iPhone 6S definitely feels more comfortable in my hands than the tablets.

I also have a Samsung S2 tablet but haven't flown with it yet (and no plans to). It has a gorgeous screen (prettier than the iPad Mini screen), but I don't want to deal with the potential issues with the DJI Go app on the Android platform.

It's pretty obvious that the iPad mini 4 is the best device but you will have to factor in budget otherwise it's like saying is gold better or silver?

It's pretty obvious that the iPad mini 4 is the best device but you will have to factor in budget otherwise it's like saying is gold better or silver?
Both mini 2 and 4 are sufficient to fly the drone
But u might wanna get a sunhood for your mini 2, and with the tendency of apple to "brick" their older device
I think it is a safer bet on mini 4 for long term usage
And if u buy from online retailer
Beware of refurbish product
They often omit the "certified refurbish" on their title

Oya, with mini 4 u still wanna consider a hood, it is not bright enough to fight some extreme daylight

Last edited:
Yes, I am factoring that into the equation per the OP's request.

Of course, I am also assuming that one will pay market prices (from apple.com).
Refurbished iPad Mini 2 (16GB) is $209.
New iPad Mini 4 (128GB) is $399.

If compare to the Mini 4 during the Best Buy sale last week for $299, then it's a no brainer.
Even at $399, I'd still take the Mini 4 over the Mini 2 based on the specs/prices above.

Reactions: BadAssDK
You can get refurb iPad mini 4s 32gb from Walmart for $260. I took advantage of the Best Buy sale and got one of the 128gb ones. I felt that with more memory I could use the IPad for more things like watching movies on trips.

With a Bluetooth keyboard I may able to eliminate a phone and laptop for my next trip abroad....

I got the new one from this year, they just call it iPad, it has the higher chip, I believe it's a A9 chip, that's what You want,

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greg190