DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Pilot - Concerns

FlameRose

Reactions
Hello to all from Europe (Hungary) !

For some time now I have been considering to get a drone, and finally a few days ago I got my Mavic Air! This is an amazing piece of technology and I am sincerely amazed. I just got home from my second flight and I am watching the footage right now. The idea is to take the drone with me during vacation or small weekend trips. I do have a few concerns though, that might make me return the product:

1. Stress during flight

Maybe because I am new, and a stressful person in general, but I have this feeling during flight that I need to have 150% of my attention every single second my aircraft is in the air, and my heartbeat gets elevated for the slightest of reasons (pack of birds approaching from the distance, no immediate threat for the drone) and this takes away the joy of the moment. As I am typing these lines, my stomach is still tight from earlier today, although I didn't have any close calls or accidents. Is this happening to any of you? I know a potential solution is DJI Care Refresh (if I can recover the drone) or just a drone insurance. Knowing myself though, I will continue feel like this.

2. Hassle

I know this is the best portable drone in the market right now, but still, if I want to take with me on a trip, it means I have to carry: Drone + Batteries + Charger + Hub + SD Cards + ND Filters. On top of that I already carry (together with my girlfriend) : DSLR + Battery + Charger + SD Cards + Filters + GoPro with batteries and chargers etc. All this helps to capture great footage and material that we'll have for a lifetime, but during the trip sometimes you feel it's just too much

Thoughts ?

You sound pretty normal to me.
Just wait until you want to take your portable telescope, power supply, eyepieces, etc too! '_

Reactions: grendeljaeger
Hello to all from Europe (Hungary) !

For some time now I have been considering to get a drone, and finally a few days ago I got my Mavic Air! This is an amazing piece of technology and I am sincerely amazed. I just got home from my second flight and I am watching the footage right now. The idea is to take the drone with me during vacation or small weekend trips. I do have a few concerns though, that might make me return the product:

1. Stress during flight

Maybe because I am new, and a stressful person in general, but I have this feeling during flight that I need to have 150% of my attention every single second my aircraft is in the air, and my heartbeat gets elevated for the slightest of reasons (pack of birds approaching from the distance, no immediate threat for the drone) and this takes away the joy of the moment. As I am typing these lines, my stomach is still tight from earlier today, although I didn't have any close calls or accidents. Is this happening to any of you? I know a potential solution is DJI Care Refresh (if I can recover the drone) or just a drone insurance. Knowing myself though, I will continue feel like this.

2. Hassle

I know this is the best portable drone in the market right now, but still, if I want to take with me on a trip, it means I have to carry: Drone + Batteries + Charger + Hub + SD Cards + ND Filters. On top of that I already carry (together with my girlfriend) : DSLR + Battery + Charger + SD Cards + Filters + GoPro with batteries and chargers etc. All this helps to capture great footage and material that we'll have for a lifetime, but during the trip sometimes you feel it's just too much

Thoughts ?

1) I think that deminish with experience. I always say that it’s a process of building trust with your drone. Part of that process is getting to know the limitations and capabilities of the Mavic. Try pushing the limitations when it’s close by you’ll get more comfortable with it. It can also be really easy to lose the trust you’ve built if something happens you don’t expect. That’s what makes this forum a really good resource because if that happens you can ask why that happened so you know for the future and won’t be concerned that it might happen again not understanding why which leads to anxiety.

2) Come on its very little hassle for what you get for it, especially the Mavic Air. Maybe getting a case that holds all the stuff will help.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Reactions: Ken Bartley
I had similar feeling as you the first time I flew my M2P. Fairly stressful and very nervous I was going to mess up. With each successive, and successful flight my confidence grew and the nervousness was slowly being replaced by joy. Just be patient and eventually you will find happiness in the air. (pun intended).

As far as the hassle, get a nice bag or case. It won’t be too bad as long as you don’t have to carry your girlfriend at the same time. ?. Your quote - “that I already carry (together with my girlfriend)”

Took my new Mavic Air out for the first time a few weeks ago.... I was so nervous, I was shaking!

I flew my last drone for about 1.5 years. I still have it, but I am not nearly as nervous with it. I agree with others... nervousness will decrease with experience.

I bought the Air for travel as well. My last drone basically took up an entire carry-on. The entire Mavic is the size of a single battery from my last drone. It weighs less too. I carried 3 batteries, the drone, the karma grip, the Camera...too much...to much. My back and knees are thanking me.

I agree that it is anxious at first but here are a few tips that helped me:
1. Don’t fly alone. Having your partner along is great as she can help you spot it and alert you to potential hazards.
2. Practice maneuvers in an open area like a football field - get some extra batteries and try to fly at least a few minutes every day.
3. Practice hand catching - it comes in really handy if you can’t land on level surface.
4. You will get more comfortable with time but never get too confident - always be alert.
5. There are sensors on the MA to help avoid crashing nut not on the sides nor the top. Avoid flying sideways or under things like bridges until you get more practice.
6. As soon as battery level warns you - return to home.
7. Learn to read the screen - that’s why you need a spotter/ partner.
Good luck, fly safe, have fun!

Flamerose, congrats on your the purchase of your new flying camera :)
Nervous you say, aren't we all? Just think back when you rode your first bike, kissed a girl a first time and so on; similar effect with a new drone.
As you practice the act, anxiety will lessen.
I've been flying things for a long time, but my heart rate still jumps every time the drone lifts off, simply because there is something of value at stake, be it $$, emotion injury and so on.
So it's all normal.

As far as the hassle...we can only bring so much with us. Try sheading some "stuff" :D gear or girlfriend. Or be smart and use your helper (girl) to help to carry stuff.

Edit: the good news is that these drones hover well when the sticks(remote) are in neutral position, so you can take your eyes off and look a the screen. Also, there is a pause button on the RC.

Last edited:
Like everyone says it will get better. I am new and I still get excited when I fly but it is part of the appeal and I don't want to get too comfortable or relaxed. Also the more you do it you will realize what equipment and accessories that you use and those that you rarely use and then you can slim down your kit. Overall I think it will start getting less stressful and more enjoyable in a pretty short time.

Don't drink coffee before you fly. Don't forget to take your blood pressure meds before you fly. Don't drive to your favorite flying place during rush hour. And if your are as old as me, don't go flying before finishing your morning potty duties!!

Reactions: grendeljaeger
FlameRose
That nervous feeling is a good thing . That tells me that you are a responsible person and are well on your way to being a seasoned responsible pilot . We need many more pilots like you in the fold . The reason that nerves were present is because you care , a lot , very respectable .

In early 2015 , I purchased my first drone and had the exact same experience . These guys are right . As you spend time with your unit you will notice that you are becoming more and more comfortable . One very important tip to share with you . As you become more and more confident you will notice that you are challenging yourself to get better and better shots .

The farther away from you that the drone is , the easier it is to misjudge your distance from objects . Trees especially .
Always be aware of the fact that small branches will blend in to the tree line with other large ones . Give your unit plenty of room away from those little hazards .

Take your unit up any time you are comfortable with the weather conditions . Even if you stay close to you while in flight.
Put the bird in the air and just practice the simplest maneuver . Start off small , counter clockwise yaw while hovering , then clockwise while hovering .When you get bored with those exercises , choose some different ones . Simply pitch left , then right . Ascend , descend . You get the idea . You will feel your confidence level rise immediately with each flight .
Trust me , before you know it , you will be searching for the best software to edit video with .

Welcome to being a drone pilot !
The sky is the limit !!

Up to 400 Ft.

Reactions: Ken Bartley
I agree that it is anxious at first but here are a few tips that helped me:
1. Don’t fly alone. Having your partner along is great as she can help you spot it and alert you to potential hazards.
2. Practice maneuvers in an open area like a football field - get some extra batteries and try to fly at least a few minutes every day.
3. Practice hand catching - it comes in really handy if you can’t land on level surface.
4. You will get more comfortable with time but never get too confident - always be alert.
5. There are sensors on the MA to help avoid crashing nut not on the sides nor the top. Avoid flying sideways or under things like bridges until you get more practice.
6. As soon as battery level warns you - return to home.
7. Learn to read the screen - that’s why you need a spotter/ partner.
Good luck, fly safe, have fun!
Great advice!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive