DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Pilot from Chicagoland

You came to right place. Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum from the dry lakeless hills of Lake City FL. An irony... I know. If lakes grew here as much as your knowledge will, Lake City would become an ocean. ;)

Welcome again!

Welcome to the forum! :)

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum from the beautiful woods of Maine!
There’s many knowledgeable members willing to help you with any questions you have. Search the forum using key words and if you don’t find an answer, post your question and I’m sure you’ll get a quick response. Fly safe and stay safe!

Reactions: GFields
Welcome to the forum! Drones are so much fun and the Air2s is an amazing drone.
Taking your comment having "a lot to learn" I will assume that you are totally new to UAV's and flying. So please forgive me if I'm telling you stuff you already know. I don't live too very far from you so I know the area a bit.

Seeing that you are in Palatine one of the first things you need to know is that your are close to Chicago Executive Airport, formerly Palwaukee Airport [PWK/KPWK], is right in your back yard. So there may be some air space restrictions near where you live and you will need to learn to identify them to stay clear of them and/or learn how to get permission to fly in restricted space and what that all means. Assuming this is new information, I've pasted a map at the bottom, from DJI's flysafe website to illustrate the various airports, thus restricted spaced in the area. Palatine is circled in red and you will see just NW of PWK. You should be good if you're flying around Twin Groves or Arlington Park, but further east may require ATC authorization.

There are a couple essential apps that you should download immediately: 1) Aloft. It helps you identify restricted space and NFZ's (no fly zones). You can also apply for ATC (air traffic control) authorization for when needed to fly in those spaces. Alternatively B4UFly is another app that is similar and handy. 2) UAV Forecast to help you identify wind speed and direction to keep you out of trouble in terms of fly-aways and help manage battery levels in flight.

So again, welcome to forum.

1640372042676.png

Last edited:
Reactions: MA2 317
Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum! Thumbswayup

Welcome aboard and I hope you enjoy this forum. There is a lot of info here for you to learn. If there is one piece of advice I could give a new pilot, it would be, "Don't push your drone to its limits until you have mastered some basic maneuvers ". Merry Christmas to you and yours. Fly safe and fly carefully!

Hello and welcome, you're cleared to land!

I too am from Chicago and the surrounding burbs (grew up in burbs [near Schaumburg] now have a house in the city), and the Phoenix/Casa Grande, AZ areas...!

I also recently made this comprehensive post which can hopefully be of some value to you (especially if you're interested in your part 107) ~ FAA Part 107 Study Materials (Welcome new drone pilots!)

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming