DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Part 107 Study Materials (Welcome new drone pilots!)

Sparc343

Reactions
So I wanted to create this thread as a welcome source to new drone pilots, particularly those who may already wish to go for their Part 107 License with the FAA (as I am a rather new pilot myself who already wishes to go for his P107L and also didn't see any threads that already existed that had any compiled sources of study materials):

Congratulations on your new drone!

If you do not want to get your Part 107 License and merely want to fly under the 49 USC 44809 "recreational exemption" simply proceed to:

and ~ do not forget to take the TRUST test (and keep [download/print] your proof of passage):

and ~ do not forget to register if your drone weighs (greater than) > 250 grams -or- > 0.55 lbs (also, you're actually registering yourself, not individual drones, your ONE registration covers ALL of your recreational drones! You apply the ONE (same) registration marking (number) to all of your drones!){if it asks for a drone serial number ~ select NA}

Now the fun part. I have downloaded a plethora of "study materials", primarily based off of and from the official FAA site, somewhere "spider-webbed" off of the basic/"stock" links I have supplied above... I cannot attest to the organizational skills I have for these materials, especially having not yet actually studied them myself, but I do think I have all the pertinent materials for Part 107 Study... Since I have already downloaded all the PDFs, I have compressed them into a convenient compressed file for myself, and figured I would share that here..! Now I personally use 7z (7zip) so if you don't already have that yourself, you will have to grab that from here: Download in order to extract it (it's like a better version of .zip for those who do not know).

Part 107 Study Materials.7z (307.1 MB)

That should be current as of ~ 9 JANUARY 2022. I do believe it will be everything necessary to study for and successfully obtain a Part 107 License with the FAA. Other valuable links to follow, for Part 107 preparation, application, and beyond (flying/use):

IACRA - Federal Aviation Administration (Obtain an FAA Tracking Number (FTN))

Login - PSI - True Talent Enterprise (Schedule an Appointment)

FAADroneZone (register your 107 drones [ALL 107 drones MUST be individually registered and marked regardless of weight])

The following links I do believe will (or could) be potentially helpful for any flyer (recreational and/or Part 107) do bear in mind some may be redundant and you simply need to pick your favorite:

UAV Forecast (or their mobile apps: UAV Forecast for DJI Quadcopter & UAV Drone Pilots - Apps on Google Play - ‎UAV Forecast )

Dronecast - Dronecast: Weather & No Fly Zones for Drone Pilots - Apps on Google Play

B4UFLY- The Leading Airspace & Situational Awareness Tool for Drone Operators (or their mobile apps: B4UFLY: Drone Safety & Airspace Awareness - Apps on Google Play - ‎B4UFLY Drone Airspace Safety )

LAANC | Aloft (mobile apps: Aloft (formerly Kittyhawk): Drone & Airspace Mgmt - Apps on Google Play - ‎Aloft (formerly Kittyhawk) )

AirMap - Unmanned traffic management software solutions | UAS software (mobile apps: AirMap for Drones - Apps on Google Play - ‎AirMap for Drones )

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones (or their mobile apps: Airdata UAV - Apps on Google Play - ‎Airdata UAV )

Wing’s drone flyer app - OpenSky – Wing (mobile apps: OpenSky - Drone Flyer App - Apps on Google Play - ‎OpenSky - App for Drone Flyers )

--== and to close out with some more (helpful) official FAA links ==--

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/vfr/ (VFR sectional charts)

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/dafd/search/advanced/ (chart supplements)

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/weather/asos/ (Surface Weather Observation Stations ASOS/AWOS)

National Weather Service (Current Weather)

As of this writing (and as of 1 July 2021) the fee to schedule for all FAA Airmen Knowledge Exams will be $175

Good Luck on your test (and wish me luck on mine).!!!

faa-remote-pilot-certificate.png

I have no doubt your going to pass this with flying colors, your attention to details is evident.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. land on the Water.

Reactions: Sparc343
Hey thanks for compiling all of this. It will be helpful getting ready for the test. Wish I had a high speed usb jack on the side of my head.

Best of luck to you on test day.

Good list.

Study Sectional Charts big time. Most of my test was that. I was actually shocked at how difficult the exam was. I took it in August of last year. Also, weather was a lot as well. If you study everything, you will pass. This test was no joke, after the first 10 questions I thought I failed it but I passed it with an 80%. I'm a horrible test taker and I thought this was pretty hard but passed it. If I can pass it, anyone can.....you just really need to study it. Also, DO NOT take any practice tests on the web. They are outdated and they did not help me at all. Good luck!

So I wanted to create this thread as a welcome source to new drone pilots, particularly those who may already wish to go for their Part 107 License with the FAA (as I am a rather new pilot myself who already wishes to go for his P107L and also didn't see any threads that already existed that had any compiled sources of study materials):

If you do not want to get your Part 107 License and merely want to fly under the 49 USC 44809 "recreational exemption" simply proceed to:

and ~ do not forget to take the TRUST test (and keep [download/print] your proof of passage):

and ~ do not forget to register if your drone weighs (greater than) > 250 grams -or- > 0.55 lbs (also, you're actually registering yourself, not individual drones, your ONE registration covers ALL of your recreational drones! You apply the ONE (same) registration marking (number) to all of your drones!){if it asks for a drone serial number ~ select NA}

Now the fun part. I have downloaded a plethora of "study materials", primarily based off of and from the official FAA site, somewhere "spider-webbed" off of the basic/"stock" links I have supplied above... I cannot attest to the organizational skills I have for these materials, especially having not yet actually studied them myself, but I do think I have all the pertinent materials for Part 107 Study... Since I have already downloaded all the PDFs, I have compressed them into a convenient compressed file for myself, and figured I would share that here..! Now I personally use 7z (7zip) so if you don't already have that yourself, you will have to grab that from here: Download in order to extract it (it's like a better version of .zip for those who do not know).

That should be current as of ~ 9 JANUARY 2022. I do believe it will be everything necessary to study for and successfully obtain a Part 107 License with the FAA. Other valuable links to follow, for Part 107 preparation, application, and beyond (flying/use):

FAADroneZone (register your 107 drones [ALL 107 drones MUST be individually registered and marked regardless of weight])

The following links I do believe will (or could) be potentially helpful for any flyer (recreational and/or Part 107) do bear in mind some may be redundant and you simply need to pick your favorite:

UAV Forecast (or their mobile apps: UAV Forecast for DJI Quadcopter & UAV Drone Pilots - Apps on Google Play - ‎UAV Forecast )

Dronecast - Dronecast: Weather & No Fly Zones for Drone Pilots - Apps on Google Play

B4UFLY- The Leading Airspace & Situational Awareness Tool for Drone Operators (or their mobile apps: B4UFLY: Drone Safety & Airspace Awareness - Apps on Google Play - ‎B4UFLY Drone Airspace Safety )

LAANC | Aloft (mobile apps: Aloft (formerly Kittyhawk): Drone & Airspace Mgmt - Apps on Google Play - ‎Aloft (formerly Kittyhawk) )

AirMap - Unmanned traffic management software solutions | UAS software (mobile apps: AirMap for Drones - Apps on Google Play - ‎AirMap for Drones )

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones (or their mobile apps: Airdata UAV - Apps on Google Play - ‎Airdata UAV )

Wing’s drone flyer app - OpenSky – Wing (mobile apps: OpenSky - Drone Flyer App - Apps on Google Play - ‎OpenSky - App for Drone Flyers )

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/vfr/ (VFR sectional charts)

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/dafd/search/advanced/ (chart supplements)

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/weather/asos/ (Surface Weather Observation Stations ASOS/AWOS)

As of this writing (and as of 1 July 2021) the fee to schedule for all FAA Airmen Knowledge Exams will be $175

Just so Mac users know, their computers will deal this up without any need to download any programs. The built in Archive utility works just fine. and...thanks!

Solid list of resources, nice job.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but found the Prepware Remote Pilot app very helpful studying for my exam and it's the only thing I spent money on getting ready for it. Really gets close to the kinds of questions you see on the actual exam.

I found the practice tests online from several sources to be quite helpful last summer when I was studying for the 107 exam.

I ran through every one I could find and found that there were some familiar questions on the exam. They were also good for just getting accustomed to the exam format.

Lol...

Now I have more information and reading to look over. I sure would not want to miss a question that may be covered in this material.

But seriously thanks for compiling and post it here. This thread will be very helpful to many.

Study Sectional Charts big time. Most of my test was that. I was actually shocked at how difficult the exam was. I took it in August of last year. Also, weather was a lot as well. If you study everything, you will pass. This test was no joke, after the first 10 questions I thought I failed it but I passed it with an 80%. I'm a horrible test taker and I thought this was pretty hard but passed it. If I can pass it, anyone can.....you just really need to study it. Also, DO NOT take any practice tests on the web. They are outdated and they did not help me at all. Good luck!
My recommendation to any UAS pilot is to download both the Sectional Chart for your particular area of concern AND the Chart Users Guide. Look at the Sectional and test your own knowledge on what you know. Use the CUG for any questions you may have on unknown/unsure symbols!

My recommendation to any UAS pilot is to download both the Sectional Chart for your particular area of concern AND the Chart Users Guide. Look at the Sectional and test your own knowledge on what you know. Use the CUG for any questions you may have on unknown/unsure symbols!

I've actually already done just that, I've downloaded and am religiously attempting to learn off of the Chicago and Phoenix sectionals (And of course the full user guide is a part of the material in my .7z)!

Hello All

As a Private pilot and a part 107 pilot already, the study material is a lot of studying, Please pase yourself.. when I went through primary flight school 25 years ago the material was over whelming. It took me three years to get through my flight training that’s how intense it is, but with all that said when I went for my part 107 i didn’t even study as the test material is the same as my PPC tracing. Not boasting but I passed first time with a 97

There are a lot of training sites available online, if you have not gone through any training of this type I would suggest you join one of these sites.. You have a lot of information to intake. Your brain will get bigger from all this training but you’ll be ready for it.. if you are going through your training and have any questions that you maybe lost with please message me and ill do my best to help you out. :p)

You may also want to pick a copy of FAA FAR/AIM. ( federal aviation regulation / Airmen's information manual. )
this the FAA’s rule bible. Oh how I know this book, I buy a new one every year..

GOOD LUCK Sparc343. Great name by the way, I’m also a retired volunteer EMT/Firefight for my home town, now my son is a second generation EMT/Firefight..

Larry. “Rotowings” M2P, DJI FPV.

Keep in mind that once you get your part 107 cert you still need to keep up with the new rules/laws.

Backstory: retired USN helicopter crew-chief over 2,500 flight hour so I felt confident due to my experience.
Prep: Reviewed a series of training videos that I felt moreless 'knocked the rust off'
Part 107: Completed Jan 12.. and WOW! I Study airspace and know how to read sectional charts and identify airspace. I felt those were the most 'in depth' of the entire exam.
Ditto to those who said the exam is no joke!

Welcome aboard Brother I spent 6 in US Army Signal Corp. I gained a career out of it.. Best choice I very made. 1976 — 1982. Im also a certified Private Pilot for over 25 years.
I guess AVIATION is in my blood. The 107 test was easy for me as I’ve already had all that training in my PPC ground school. I would suggest picking a copy of the FAA FAR/AIM. This is the Aviation regulations bible..

Air space knowledge is a good thing. I live in McGuire AFB airspace so in order for me to fly in my back yard I have to get an “air space“ unlock code…. Lots of BIG silver aluminum clouds around here….

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett