DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Part 107 Study Materials (Welcome new drone pilots!)

So I wanted to create this thread as a welcome source to new drone pilots, particularly those who may already wish to go for their Part 107 License with the FAA (as I am a rather new pilot myself who already wishes to go for his P107L and also didn't see any threads that already existed that had any compiled sources of study materials):

Congratulations on your new drone!

If you do not want to get your Part 107 License and merely want to fly under the 49 USC 44809 "recreational exemption" simply proceed to:

and ~ do not forget to take the TRUST test (and keep [download/print] your proof of passage):

and ~ do not forget to register if your drone weighs (greater than) > 250 grams -or- > 0.55 lbs (also, you're actually registering yourself, not individual drones, your ONE registration covers ALL of your recreational drones! You apply the ONE (same) registration marking (number) to all of your drones!){if it asks for a drone serial number ~ select NA}

Now the fun part. I have downloaded a plethora of "study materials", primarily based off of and from the official FAA site, somewhere "spider-webbed" off of the basic/"stock" links I have supplied above... I cannot attest to the organizational skills I have for these materials, especially having not yet actually studied them myself, but I do think I have all the pertinent materials for Part 107 Study... Since I have already downloaded all the PDFs, I have compressed them into a convenient compressed file for myself, and figured I would share that here..! Now I personally use 7z (7zip) so if you don't already have that yourself, you will have to grab that from here: Download in order to extract it (it's like a better version of .zip for those who do not know).

Part 107 Study Materials.7z (307.1 MB)

That should be current as of ~ 9 JANUARY 2022. I do believe it will be everything necessary to study for and successfully obtain a Part 107 License with the FAA. Other valuable links to follow, for Part 107 preparation, application, and beyond (flying/use):

IACRA - Federal Aviation Administration (Obtain an FAA Tracking Number (FTN))

Login - PSI - True Talent Enterprise (Schedule an Appointment)

FAADroneZone (register your 107 drones [ALL 107 drones MUST be individually registered and marked regardless of weight])

The following links I do believe will (or could) be potentially helpful for any flyer (recreational and/or Part 107) do bear in mind some may be redundant and you simply need to pick your favorite:

UAV Forecast (or their mobile apps: UAV Forecast for DJI Quadcopter & UAV Drone Pilots - Apps on Google Play - ‎UAV Forecast )

Dronecast - Dronecast: Weather & No Fly Zones for Drone Pilots - Apps on Google Play

B4UFLY- The Leading Airspace & Situational Awareness Tool for Drone Operators (or their mobile apps: B4UFLY: Drone Safety & Airspace Awareness - Apps on Google Play - ‎B4UFLY Drone Airspace Safety )

LAANC | Aloft (mobile apps: Aloft (formerly Kittyhawk): Drone & Airspace Mgmt - Apps on Google Play - ‎Aloft (formerly Kittyhawk) )

AirMap - Unmanned traffic management software solutions | UAS software (mobile apps: AirMap for Drones - Apps on Google Play - ‎AirMap for Drones )

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones (or their mobile apps: Airdata UAV - Apps on Google Play - ‎Airdata UAV )

Wing’s drone flyer app - OpenSky – Wing (mobile apps: OpenSky - Drone Flyer App - Apps on Google Play - ‎OpenSky - App for Drone Flyers )

--== and to close out with some more (helpful) official FAA links ==--

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/vfr/ (VFR sectional charts)

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/dafd/search/advanced/ (chart supplements)

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/weather/asos/ (Surface Weather Observation Stations ASOS/AWOS)

National Weather Service (Current Weather)

As of this writing (and as of 1 July 2021) the fee to schedule for all FAA Airmen Knowledge Exams will be $175

Good Luck on your test (and wish me luck on mine).!!!

YIKES that’s expensive…. As a Private Pilot I used the FAAsafety.gov to take my test. Granted you need to have a Private pilot license ( certification ) or higher to login. the only coast I incurred was I had to visit my PPC Flight instructor to sign off on the application….

Reactions: Sparc343
Giving videos to my wife who posts them on facebook. If she monetizes and makes money with them will I need my 107?

See is on FB all the time communicating with extended international family. She was showing video I had taken with my mini 3 and of course shared with her. Recently she was encouraged by a friend to make some reels and she was excited and showed them to me.

Thank you,
Ran

Giving videos to my wife who posts them on facebook. If she monetizes and makes money with them will I need my 107?

See is on FB all the time communicating with extended international family. She was showing video I had taken with my mini 3 and of course shared with her. Recently she was encouraged by a friend to make some reels and she was excited and showed them to me.

Thank you,
Ran
If you go out to fly just for fun and then she takes it and posts it …no problem. But if you do that regularly you’d have a hard time claiming you were doing it for fun. The ultimate question is did you go out to fly purely for fun?

Reactions: ranida2
If you go out to fly just for fun and then she takes it and posts it …no problem. But if you do that regularly you’d have a hard time claiming you were doing it for fun. The ultimate question is did you go out to fly purely for fun?
Yes, but I can see where this is going now, thank you. Looks like I better get a license!

Thank you

Free video tutorials, albeit you have to sit through those dang YouTube commercials.

$49.00 for the same ad-free videos with over 300 practice questions, dozens of additional quizzes specific to each lesson, and two 60-question practice exams. Great for the visual learner.

Links to all FAA part 107 downloads and important information. Two free practice quizzes too.

Cheers!
Frank B.
aka: The Drone Coach

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada