DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New policy about firmware update and restrictions

All they're doing is forcing you to have the Geo system enabled and up to date. There's no reason not to have Geo enabled. In fact, in most cases it lets you fly in MORE areas than the old NFZ system.

This doesn't even being to address my post and you, like the rest of us, have absolutely no idea what the intention is and what direction DJI plans to eventually go. The bottom line is, limiting the capabilities of a product to something that isn't even a shadow of what was advertised, after the purchase has been made, unless demands are met is wrong at best and straight up criminal at worst. No reasonable argument can be made for such corrupt and overreaching business practices.

Reactions: Gary cato
This doesn't even being to address my post and you, like the rest of us, have absolutely no idea what the intention is and what direction DJI plans to eventually go. The bottom line is, limiting the capabilities of a product to something that isn't even a shadow of what was advertised, after the purchase has been made, unless demands are met is wrong at best and straight up criminal at worst. No reasonable argument can be made for such corrupt and overreaching business practices.

We know exactly what DJI is doing it because they spelled it out already. Anything beyond that is paranoid people reading into it what isn't there.

So with this new update I won't have the choice to switch the geo off will I ?
At the moment is great as I just get a warning and controller says nfz limit but I can still fly.

You can still fly BECAUSE of Geo. That's exactly why you don't want to turn it off anyway.

You can still fly BECAUSE of Geo. That's exactly why you don't want to turn it off anyway.

At the moment I can fly round my house and controller says nfz limit ,with geo turned off.
When I turn geo on it suddenly becomes a nfz...and won't let me fly.

At the moment I can fly round my house and controller says nfz limit ,with geo turned off.
When I turn geo on it suddenly becomes a nfz...and won't let me fly.

What do you live near? Geo should allow self-authorization. The old system did not.

All they're doing is forcing you to have the Geo system enabled and up to date. There's no reason not to have Geo enabled. In fact, in most cases it lets you fly in MORE areas than the old NFZ system.
""All they're doing is forcing you to have the Geo system enabled and up to date"".

The point is they should not be FORCING us at all

"In fact, in most cases it lets you fly in MORE areas than the old NFZ"

Not here it does not.

We know exactly what DJI is doing it because they spelled it out already. Anything beyond that is paranoid people reading into it what isn't there.

Oh my, then by all means good sir, why don't you enlighten everyone as to what DJI has in store for us all seeing as how you have the inside track that affords you the ability to speak as an authority on what DJI's future intentions are. Stop the madness for all us "paranoid" folks who are wasting time pondering what this kind of coercion can mean for us down the line. Are you confident enough in your ability to predict the future actions of DJI to place a wager on what is and isn't to come?

Oh my, then by all means good sir, why don't you enlighten everyone as to what DJI has in store for us all seeing as how you have the inside track that affords you the ability to speak as an authority on what DJI's future intentions are. Stop the madness for all us "paranoid" folks who are wasting time pondering what this kind of coercion can mean for us down the line. Are you confident enough in your ability to predict the future actions of DJI to place a wager on what is and isn't to come?

No inside track here. I just happen to be capable of reading what they've written that very clearly stated their intentions.

I fly with my ipad with wifi turned off, and it is not an air model....So, my question is, how are they going to limit my mavics capabilities without wifi or data connection if I choose not to accept the new firmware? Is the limitation sent by satellite via the GPS module?

Last edited:
No inside track here. I just happen to be capable of reading what they've written that very clearly stated their intentions.

Ha, I know you have no inside track. That was sarcasm, and written very clearly too. Speaking of written very clearly. You say you know what their intentions are because they very clearly stated them....in an email which you made the assumption a typo was made. Emails with "obvious typos" is your measure of very clearly stated? I would never label an email where I had to make assumptions and infer what meaning was truly intended out of what was actually said as a "very clearly stating" anything.

What should I read into your avoidance to answer the questions posed to you? Do you think it went unnoticed that you failed to seize an opportunity to put your money where your mouth is since you appear to be so confident about intentions to call us paranoid for raising valid concerns? You failed to even address it much less take me up on it.

seems from searching a bit more it was NOT a TYPO. This will not be a forced update (yet) and that is from DJI.

remember i said yet.

If you do not update YOU WILL NOT BE RESTRICTED AND IT WILL HAVE NO EFFECT.

the only restrictions are if you do the update and do not reactivate your account then the restrictions will be in place.

The update is not mandatory at this time. So says DJI on their own forum

what they do not say is if the new message that will pop up with a connection to the app will allow you to press ignore the same way as NFZ updating does now.

If you have no internet connection set and fly in airplane mode, you will be able to fly as normal.

We will see if this really is the case but that is what is on the DJI forum from DJI themselves.

Although their attitude is lacking when they say that they have no plans to make any statements regarding the whole host of misinformation being spread around on the forums and in social media.

that alone makes you wonder what they have to hide lol

Ha, I know you have no inside track. That was sarcasm, and written very clearly too. Speaking of written very clearly. You say you know what their intentions are because they very clearly stated them....in an email which you made the assumption a typo was made. Emails with "obvious typos" is your measure of very clearly stated? I would never label an email where I had to make assumptions and infer what meaning was truly intended out of what was actually said as a "very clearly stating" anything.

What should I read into your avoidance to answer the questions posed to you? Do you think it went unnoticed that you failed to seize an opportunity to put your money where your mouth is since you appear to be so confident about intentions to call us paranoid for raising valid concerns? You failed to even address it much less take me up on it.
Yes seems it was not a typo at all either as DJi have stated on their website. As i have no common sense though i should not believe them right? i should believe an assumption from someone with common sense which is strange coz DJI are saying that the common sense approach are the ones spreading the misinformation.

Although their attitude is lacking when they say that they have no plans to make any statements regarding the whole host of misinformation being spread around on the forums and in social media.

that alone makes you wonder what they have to hide lol

Absolutely nothing because, again, they've made their intentions very clear. They want people using the new GEO system, period. You will now be forced to use it... and there's nothing wrong with it because anyone with a P4 and newer craft has been using it all along, likely without even knowing it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1