DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Rules for Hobby Drone Operators from FAA

Here is the "UnDigested" version so you can read exactly how it's worded in the Registry:

Highlights:

Recreational flying in controlled airspace now restricted to established flying sites. Altitude caps in accordance with UASFM maps.

LAANC for recreation later this summer. Same altitude restrictions on UASFM after that.

400-foot cap in Class G airspace, no further authorization needed regardless of distance from airports.

No fixed sites within 2 miles of closest runway point in controlled airspace unless approved by the FAA. Less than 200 currently noted in the US (193 actually).

Here is the "UnDigested" version so you can read exactly how it's worded in the Registry:

Highlights:

Recreational flying in controlled airspace now restricted to established flying sites. Altitude caps in accordance with UASFM maps.

LAANC for recreation later this summer. Same altitude restrictions on UASFM after that.

400-foot cap in Class G airspace, no further authorization needed regardless of distance from airports.

No fixed sites within 2 miles of closest runway point in controlled airspace unless approved by the FAA. Less than 200 currently noted in the US (193 actually).

That was the implication of the leaked memo, so not surprising that it turned out to be the case. It will be interesting to see how the recreational implementation of LAANC works, and how long that takes, but it's a serious restriction on recreational pilots in the meantime. Longer term, I have no idea how the bulk of recreational pilots, as opposed to the relatively knowledgeable set who frequent these forums, are ever going to adapt to the implementation of both mandatory testing (even if it's online) and airspace authorization.

That was the implication of the leaked memo, so not surprising that it turned out to be the case. It will be interesting to see how the recreational implementation of LAANC works, and how long that takes, but it's a serious restriction on recreational pilots in the meantime. Longer term, I have no idea how the bulk of recreational pilots, as opposed to the relatively knowledgeable set who frequent these forums, are ever going to adapt to the implementation of both mandatory testing (even if it's online) and airspace authorization.

It's interesting how Transport Canada is rolling out similar (but stricter) rules in just a few weeks for all of our Northern friends.

I think in the meantime, what will happen is that recreational flyers will either 1) ignore the law and fly within controlled airspace anyways, 2) will still contact ATC who will tell them to stop calling, which will eventually lead to 1, 3) they'll start contacting their elected official to tell the FAA to get LAANC for recreational finished, which will be so few people that it won't be sped up anyways, or 4) they'll stop flying altogether.

Path of least resistance says it'll be 1 or 4 for most recreational flyers. And that's for the people who will actually be aware of the new rules, which is probably the minority of drone owners. It's amazing to me that the FAA decided to implement this without having recreational LAANC or some other option prepared, outside of the extremely limited fixed flying sites.

I think in the meantime, what will happen is that recreational flyers will either 1) ignore the law and fly within controlled airspace anyways, 2) will still contact ATC who will tell them to stop calling, which will eventually lead to 1, 3) they'll start contacting their elected official to tell the FAA to get LAANC for recreational finished, which will be so few people that it won't be sped up anyways, or 4) they'll stop flying altogether.

Path of least resistance says it'll be 1 or 4 for most recreational flyers. And that's for the people who will actually be aware of the new rules, which is probably the minority of drone owners. It's amazing to me that the FAA decided to implement this without having recreational LAANC or some other option prepared, outside of the extremely limited fixed flying sites.

I know that they were under a lot of pressure in Washington but agreed - this is unlikely to end well.

If a child lives in a relatively urban OR suburban area of the Northeast, they break the law if they fly their toy drone (under .55 pounds) in their own backyard at a maximum height of 10'. I think you're going to see a lot of reasonable, law abiding drone operators violating this rule.

I'm depressed..........

Peter Tennant

If a child lives in a relatively urban OR suburban area of the Northeast, they break the law if they fly their toy drone (under .55 pounds) in their own backyard at a maximum height of 10'. I think you're going to see a lot of reasonable, law abiding drone operators violating this rule.

I'm depressed..........

Peter Tennant

That's right - think of the children...

IMHO this is a HUGE and much appreciated move by the FAA. The rules should have been more aligned with Part 107 from the beginning but Congress tied their hands in 2012 with that knee-jerk reaction.

Agree with @BigAl07
However we’ll see how long they take to get the implementation done (online testing, testing specific to drone piloting, etc).... Also interesting to see how much interpretation is done by others and even within FAA.

Sar, quick question, as I understand it the LAANC will only apply to recreational pilots who want to fly in controlled airspace, which I have assumed is around airports, military installations and the like. So for most flights shouldn’t things stay the same? Obvivously the FAA is stating no flights above 400 feet and VLOS only so the hobby rules are gone. This seems to be the same as part 107 is.

As for the online testing I hope it’s a reasonable test.

Thanks

Paul C

Last edited:
Reactions: Inspirephil
Also I wonder if DJI will change the max height to 400 feet since it seems 400 is now the limit for all.

Paul C

Sar, quick question, as I understand it the LAANC will only apply to recreational pilots who want to fly in controlled airspace, which I have assumed is around airports, military installations and the like. So for most flights shouldn’t things stay the same? Obvivously the FAA is staring no flights above 400 feet and VLOS only so the hobby rules are gone. This seems to be the same as part 107 is.

As for the online testing I hope it’s a reasonable test.

Thanks

Paul C

Yes - only controlled airspace - but surface controlled airspace covers a lot of population centers. This will be like Part 107, but without the waiver process, once they implement the upgrades to LAANC.

Also I wonder if DJI will change the max height to 400 feet since it seems 400 is now the limit for all.

Paul C

We’re limited by FAA to 400ft AGL or above a structure, not 400ft above the home point, which is how our altimeters work. That shouldn’t affect how DJI allows a higher limit for this reason.

Yes, good point.

Thanks for the clarification.

Paul

Highlights:

More bureaucratic [Language Removed by Admin].. it will all end when we are all flying paper airplanes.

Last edited by a moderator:
More bureaucratic [Language Removed by Admin] .. it will all end when we are all flying paper airplanes.

Absolutely - the FAA really should just stay out of aviation safety and let people who know what they are doing, such as yourself, take care of it¡

Last edited by a moderator:
This interactive map from the FAA is very frustrating to use.
I’ve tried unsuccessfully more than a dozen times to zoom in on the area around Anchorage to see if I’m ok to fly anywhere. Every time I try the app crashes and reloads with the overall map of the US.
I’m in Anchorage for 1 day before I fly out and would love to get some shots before I leave. I’m staying in the Crowne Plaza hotel at the airport. Does anyone in the area have any local knowledge of sites within walking distance that are ok to fly please? Peter

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman