DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to flying a Mavic mini and could use some help finding locations in Montgomery/Bucks counties, PA

EdC

Reactions
Just joined your site and need some help regarding where I can fly. I live in Montgomery county, PA but I'm close to Bucks county. I have a Mavic Mini (under 250 gm) so I don't need a permit. However does that allow me to fly in parks? I've read some of the threads written back in 2018 and was surprised to learn of so many restrictions. The county websites doesn't give a lot of information and and the general rules and regs indicate that the parks have posted signs. What good is that? I don't want to drive there only to find out I'm not allowed to fly. So my question is are the restrictions for all drones regardless of size? Also where are good locations that will not kick me out if I fly. Any help or info would be much appreciated.

Wow, no one in Bucks or Montgomery county, PA has a drone? Very sad. Well if I find a place where to fly I'll be glad to share it here.

Only park to legally fly in Montgomery County is Green Lane. They have a field where you’re allowed to fly.

They don’t categorize drones by weight anywhere that I’ve seen. To the authorities a drone is a drone, whether more than 250 g or less.

You can fly in a lot of places, you just have to make sure to fly safely and follow the rules, especially if posted. For example, some parks specifically say no drones. If you’re trying to fly in Center City parks look out for that. Also some parks have park rangers, so ask them before you take off.

It would be nice if the flying/drone policies were clearer and posted online for parks. In Seattle City Limits - NO flying except from your own private property. Not from streets, parks or shorelines. The question that remains is whether once launched and eventually landed from your own property, whether you can fly over streets and others' property. Supposedly, the FAA (in US) controls the airspace and not the city.

I'm in Bucks, and I have yet to find definitive info on where's it's OK to fly. I am near to several state and local parks. Apparently, one cannot fly unless there is a dedicated area. I think the park near Roosevelt Bldv and Southampton Road has some space, but it's an RC flying club.

I have yet to find good info about Bucks County parks.

In PA the State has preempted ALL regulation of sUAS (drones). No Municipality may legally promulgate regulation on sUASs except with regard to their own personnel. You may not fly in State Parks (a handful of exceptions), and National parks are off limits. You may fly over (FAA owns the airspace) but you may not operate from within the parks. Private property may also regulate operation from the property but not the airspace.

Title 18 § 3505. Unlawful use of unmanned aircraft.

(a) Offense defined.--
A person commits the offense of unlawful use of unmanned aircraft if the person uses an unmanned aircraft intentionally or knowingly to:

(1) Conduct surveillance of another person in a private place.

(2) Operate in a manner which places another person in reasonable fear of bodily injury.

(3) Deliver, provide, transmit or furnish contraband in violation of section 5123 (relating to contraband) or 61 Pa.C.S. § 5902 (relating to contraband prohibited).

Title 53, § 305. Local regulation of unmanned aircraft prohibited.

(a) Preemption.--
The provisions of 18 Pa.C.S. § 3505 (relating to unlawful use of unmanned aircraft) shall preempt and supersede any ordinance, resolution, rule or other enactment of a municipality regulating the ownership or operation of unmanned aircraft. As of the effective date of this section, a municipality shall not regulate the ownership or operation of unmanned aircraft unless expressly authorized by statute.

Reactions: ff22
Title 53, § 305. Local regulation of unmanned aircraft prohibited.

(a) Preemption.--
The provisions of 18 Pa.C.S. § 3505 (relating to unlawful use of unmanned aircraft) shall preempt and supersede any ordinance, resolution, rule or other enactment of a municipality regulating the ownership or operation of unmanned aircraft. As of the effective date of this section, a municipality shall not regulate the ownership or operation of unmanned aircraft unless expressly authorized by statute.

See, that last part (the bolded text) is what confuses me - so a municipality can't regulate drone usage unless it passes a statute that says it can. Which basically amounts to "You can't regulate drone usage, unless you decide you want to, in which case you can."

Whoever wrote that piece of legislation is either incompetent or deliberately intended for it to be misleading.

See, that last part (the bolded text) is what confuses me - so a municipality can't regulate drone usage unless it passes a statute that says it can. Which basically amounts to "You can't regulate drone usage, unless you decide you want to, in which case you can."

Whoever wrote that piece of legislation is either incompetent or deliberately intended for it to be misleading.

Negative, Statutes are State laws and the "unless expressly authorized by statute" means the Commonwealth Legislature has to pass a law allowing the Political subdivision to promulgate regulation. Municipalities and Counties only pass Ordinances and Resolutions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obanat