DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to Mavic Air 2

As an owner of an Air2, I'm on the side of it being a fair drone. I bought the Fly More with RM500 SC. The RM500 leaves a bit to be desired, but the rest of the package is worth it.

Read the Air2 User Manual v1.6 - it has the DJI Fly app details that'll get you started.

Reactions: eaglesurfing
Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum! Thumbswayup

Welcome too from the U.K. I have a Spark and MA2 and frankly neither set of instructions is, for a beginner (which you are clearly not), up to scratch. There’s plenty of stuff in them but no real detail and I guess, with a Forum like this on hand, dji reckon they might save a few forests by not including the kitchen sink in their manuals. None of that helps you and I just sat down and ferreted through You Tubes and got out and practised but I have loads of spare time, so……best of luck and the guys and girls here will help you out Whenever you need it. PS I love both my drones and very impressed with their performance.

Welcome to the forum !!

Welcome to the forum from the dry lakeless hills of Lake City FL. An irony... I know. If lakes grew here as much as your knowledge will, Lake City would become an ocean. ;)

Welcome again!

As an owner of an Air2, I'm on the side of it being a fair drone. I bought the Fly More with RM500 SC. The RM500 leaves a bit to be desired, but the rest of the package is worth it.

Read the Air2 User Manual v1.6 - it has the DJI Fly app details that'll get you started.
I have the RM500 SC package, I wanted a controller image that had a brighter screen and figured that might be the answer. And it is better. I have and read the Air 2 User Manual v1.6
One thing that has me puzzled it the Micro SD cards. There are slots for them in the Smart Controller and the drone. I am not sure what is the preferred way to use the capability of these cards. The one in the drone is what I am used to so I don't have a question on that. I can download video an stills from the card to my computer for use in my video editing software. But the card in the Smart Controller is a mystery. Page 17 of the Smart Controller guide has info for changing storage locations for images and videos. It sums up with a Important Icon stateing that the "Cache Locally When Recording" and "Download Footage to External SD Card" are disabled by default.
So the question is which is the preferred way to go here?
The videos I take and the Flight Logs are critical information for me. If the drone has an issue and does not come back, where to go looking is critical. And I figure that info is saved in the Controller. I can always replace the drone but not the video which may have been a priceless video.
The videos that show up in the Smart Controller under "DJI Fly" "Album" have convinced me that they are there as well as on the SD card in the Drone. But I have not figured out how to get them downloaded from the Smart Controller to my computer. Needless to say that if the drone does not come back that is the only copy of the videos that exist.
I am a bit confused over this issue, there must be something here I have missed.

I have the RM500 SC package, I wanted a controller image that had a brighter screen and figured that might be the answer. And it is better. I have and read the Air 2 User Manual v1.6
One thing that has me puzzled it the Micro SD cards. There are slots for them in the Smart Controller and the drone. I am not sure what is the preferred way to use the capability of these cards. The one in the drone is what I am used to so I don't have a question on that. I can download video an stills from the card to my computer for use in my video editing software. But the card in the Smart Controller is a mystery. Page 17 of the Smart Controller guide has info for changing storage locations for images and videos. It sums up with a Important Icon stateing that the "Cache Locally When Recording" and "Download Footage to External SD Card" are disabled by default.
So the question is which is the preferred way to go here?
The videos I take and the Flight Logs are critical information for me. If the drone has an issue and does not come back, where to go looking is critical. And I figure that info is saved in the Controller. I can always replace the drone but not the video which may have been a priceless video.
The videos that show up in the Smart Controller under "DJI Fly" "Album" have convinced me that they are there as well as on the SD card in the Drone. But I have not figured out how to get them downloaded from the Smart Controller to my computer. Needless to say that if the drone does not come back that is the only copy of the videos that exist.
I am a bit confused over this issue, there must be something here I have missed.
My RM500 is workable, but the product has a nasty compass issue that can cause you to chase your tail. Well known, and DJI refuses to admit the problem nor do anything to fix it. A nag point for me.

The Micro SD card must be true U3, V30 rated, and it helps to be A2 as well. Anything less and you'll end up with capture issues at 4k/60. My Samsung Pro Plus cards do 160R/120W on my PC. My Samsung EVO Select cards I started with only did 90R/80W and had odd problems in both the controller and the drone, so I bought the better cards and quite happy I did.

I do not cache video at the controller. If I want to record the flight locally, I turn on the RM500 video recorder; that captures the entire screen and everything that is happening. I only save video on the drone and use the SMOOTH (720p) downlink option for the screen. The most important thing to capture locally is what the DJI Fly app is doing and telling you. Lets you go back and closely review the battery status, warning, etc.

To move video from the RM500, plug in a USB stick, use file manager to copy the files. Swapping the SD card in and out is painful and I've lost information. The SD card MUST be "ejected" or the files are all lost (0 byte). So just plug in a USB stick.

Again - personal choice, but local caching is just another function that slows down the already loaded up controller. Just do screen record. Pull down the menu from the top of the screen, select RECORD.

My RM500 is workable, but the product has a nasty compass issue that can cause you to chase your tail. Well known, and DJI refuses to admit the problem nor do anything to fix it. A nag point for me.

The Micro SD card must be true U3, V30 rated, and it helps to be A2 as well. Anything less and you'll end up with capture issues at 4k/60. My Samsung Pro Plus cards do 160R/120W on my PC. My Samsung EVO Select cards I started with only did 90R/80W and had odd problems in both the controller and the drone, so I bought the better cards and quite happy I did.

I do not cache video at the controller. If I want to record the flight locally, I turn on the RM500 video recorder; that captures the entire screen and everything that is happening. I only save video on the drone and use the SMOOTH (720p) downlink option for the screen. The most important thing to capture locally is what the DJI Fly app is doing and telling you. Lets you go back and closely review the battery status, warning, etc.

To move video from the RM500, plug in a USB stick, use file manager to copy the files. Swapping the SD card in and out is painful and I've lost information. The SD card MUST be "ejected" or the files are all lost (0 byte). So just plug in a USB stick.

Again - personal choice, but local caching is just another function that slows down the already loaded up controller. Just do screen record. Pull down the menu from the top of the screen, select RECORD.
I do not recommend turn off the video cache since thanks to that I have evidence my flyaway of my Mavic 3 and DJI ship me another Mavic 3 free of charge thanks to that.

You still get a copy when you do a screen recording, and screen recording also saves the DJI Fly UI and any warnings it may be showing; which is much better for forensics.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky