DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New York Class B Area A

npenaphoto

Reactions
Hello,

I used to be able to fly around my neighborhood in Brooklyn but now the B4UFly app is telling me that flying is prohibited in my area. I'm outside of the 5 mile radius from the nearest airport. Can I fly as a hobbyist in Airspace B Area A? Where can I find info about this? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_7674.PNG
    IMG_7674.PNG
    156.6 KB · Views: 61
I would suggest going to skyvector.com and determine exactly which airspace you are within based on the FAA Sectional.

It doesn't matter that its more than five miles from either airport.
It is Class B. As mentioned, you need to see a chart to determine lateral and vertical boundaries.

I'm in Class B Airspace about 6 miles from DFW. I used to be able to fly there. I'd get a warning to fly with caution but I was still able to fly. With the new app will it not let me fly there?

Hello,

I used to be able to fly around my neighborhood in Brooklyn but now the B4UFly app is telling me that flying is prohibited in my area. I'm outside of the 5 mile radius from the nearest airport. Can I fly as a hobbyist in Airspace B Area A? Where can I find info about this? Thanks.

Here's some info. It looks like Bushwick is inside JFK's surface to 7000' Class B airspace. Google maps is on the left, and NY sectional chart is on the right. Quick answer, no you cant fly there. I used to fly my Cessna from NJ to LI, and had to fly offshore near Coney Island and Rockaway and below 500; to avoid JFK's airspace.

Bushwick airspace.jpg

Last edited:
So is DJI now including and enforcing airspace restrictions in their no fly zones?

So is DJI now including and enforcing airspace restrictions in their no fly zones?

I believe the OP's question came from a message on B4UFLY app. Looking at DJI's Geo Map it looks like he would be in a warning zone and DJI would not prevent the flight.

I believe the OP's question came from a message on B4UFLY app. Looking at DJI's Geo Map it looks like he would be in a warning zone and DJI would not prevent the flight.
Oh ok. Sorry for the confusion. [emoji50]

Here's some info. It looks like Bushwick is inside JFK's surface to 7000' Class B airspace. Google maps is on the left, and NY sectional chart is on the right. Quick answer, no you cant fly there. I used to fly my Cessna from NJ to LI, and had to fly offshore near Coney Island and Rockaway and below 500; to avoid JFK's airspace.

View attachment 13575
This is great info. Thanks. I just wonder why it suddenly changed as when I first got my Mavic about two weeks ago I flew it here but first checked all apps and I was clear.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan