DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night Flying

Looks like a good spot for night flying! I live next to national forest land and ther isn't a lot to take pics of at night except trees:(.

Night flying is prohibited by FAA regs.

That is not true in all cases:

1. IF you are flying under Part 107 - YES you need a waiver to fly at night commercially. Request a Waiver/Airspace Authorization – Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS)
2. IF you are flying recreationally under community-based guidelines (AMA code... "8. RC night flying requires a lighting system providing the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times."). http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf

So, if you aren't Part 107 - and have the appropriate lighting - you can fly at night. If there's something I'm missing - please correct me.

As long as the Mavic is not being moved around you can capture remarkably sharp images at that shutter speed.
This image was ISO 100 and 2 sec shutter speed.
This is just a .jpg not even RAW.View attachment 12612
Why a 2 second exposure ? That just seems long while flying ? I'm not critical just trying to learn . I think the image turned out good .

This is with 2 secs , not sure on the ISO at 300 feet in a resort with super low light except for lights on the walk way and pool , Video is best automatic with Mavic but you do get a lot of noise compared to Phantom 3 Pro but still not bad considering size of sensor/camera.

Attachments

• Snapseed.jpg
    Snapseed.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 115
If you fly as a hobbyist you can fly all night long, you can't fly at night when your part 107 please brush up on FAA rules before you post thank you... fly safe
In Canada, its illegal but for you all in the South , lucky you..Mexico was the best at least when you are in an expensive resort , they allow you to fly from the restaurant and first floor balcony. Have a look

Part 107: 30 min before sunset 30 aftersunrise. You get 30 minutes more if you are equipped with lighting visible for 3 statute miles.

wasilla posted a great video but noone mentioned their settings for video during night flight.. will very much appreciate that.

also all those sensors, i m sure some of them will be completely useless in the dark.. what's your preference?

ps. i understand that night flight is risky, not recommended and even prohibited in quite a few countries.

wasilla posted a great video but noone mentioned their settings for video during night flight.. will very much appreciate that.

also all those sensors, i m sure some of them will be completely useless in the dark.. what's your preference?

ps. i understand that night flight is risky, not recommended and even prohibited in quite a few countries.

This was done quite some time ago and I don't have the settings that I used. I can tell you that as a new mavic pilot that my settings were very generic in my setup. The only thing I recall changing from my standard setup was the height and distance settings. Other than that I did not disable any sensors, I do believe that I changed the ISO but outside of those I left everything else the same as day flying.
I should add that I did some denoise filtering in post processing.

Reactions: hanshaw
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom