DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No Drone Zone (Kauai)

Awesome!!! Can you tell us where you can and cannot fly, or favorite spot? Maybe we can meet up when I'm on the island (7/19-25) Would love pointers if you have time.;)

Jeff

I live on Kauai. It is a beautiful spot to take photos. Yes it's a bummer you can't fly there but think about how many people would be buzzing there drone around the birds if the sign wasn't up. Take a doors off helicopter tour and take some video. Use a sectional chart next time and you won't be surprised by what kind of land you'll be flying over. (Requested) 2000ft over a refuge

415ed795c375dd3aa27a63bb99e92c5d.jpg
[/QUOT

Last edited:
I'd recommend learning where you can legally fly a drone on Faa.gov. I'd be happy to take an afternoon and fly with you but I'm working in AK for the summer. Keep in mind Kauai has some of the busiest helicopter tour operations. You can reference this to get an idea of where they are flying on the island and their altitudes. You shouldn't be over 400ft though right? https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...al_more/media/hawaii_air_tour_common_proc.pdf

Thanks Adam,

I wasn't implying I was going rogue and fly in any restricted area. Seeing how some of the maps don't align, I figure someone local would have the knowledge on what is/is not acceptable area on the island.

Jeff

I'd recommend learning where you can legally fly a drone on Faa.gov. I'd be happy to take an afternoon and fly with you but I'm working in AK for the summer. Keep in mind Kauai has some of the busiest helicopter tour operations. You can reference this to get an idea of where they are flying on the island and their altitudes. You shouldn't be over 400ft though right? https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...al_more/media/hawaii_air_tour_common_proc.pdf

This is the 1st time that I've ever seen a "No Drone Zone" sign. Kinda sounds comical
There's one at the port in Nassau, Bahamas. I was somewhat surprised to see it.

Attachments

• _MG_5950.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 72
I just got back from Alaska, ran into quite a few "No Drones" signs... Aleyeska resort, Flat top mountain, some other parks area around Anchorage. Super Cubs all over the place bush flying, and my drone is a nuisance...

Agree with all u said about being considerate towards the wildlife and nature but drone footage of wildlife is just tooooo **** epic!

I agree with you..and I live on Oahu! Nothing like spoiling things for other people. I build my own drones, but they are too big and loud to fly near people. This is the reason I picked up a Mavic. I have found that when I fly with people around, they are more curious....the Mavic is less threatening, and I will call people over to take a look at my tablet when I see them looking. No one has said no so far when I have called anyone over.
I agree with what Bunny Too said...personal responsibility and consequences.

The use of drones are NOT allowed in Hawaii State Parks, without a specific drone permit from the Dept. of Land & Natural Resources. Any use of a drone in a HawaiiState Park can result in severe fines and removal of any footage shot with a drone. On Kauai, State Parks include: The entire Napali Coast (including Ke‘e Beach, the Kalalau Trail, Hanakapiai Falls/Beach), Waimea Canyon, Koke‘e State Park, Wailua State Park (includes Wailua River, Wailua Falls, Secret Falls) and Opaekaa Falls.

I was at Wailua Falls this week and there was a couple drones flying there. There was not a NO DRONES sign as there was at 'Opaeka'a Falls, also clearly marked as a Hawaii state park. My fellow travelers were leading the way and I didn’t know where we were. I also didn’t see any road signage indicating we were in a state park. Looking at the map now, it appears Wailua Falls is indeed in Wailua River State Park.

Other people flying is obviously not a good indicator for legality.

I was staying at the Grand Hyatt in Poipu Beach. If you continue past the Hyatt a few hundred yards, the road becomes a red dirt road with various access points to great launch spots along the cliffs with caves and waves crashing against the rocks as well as about 1/2 mile of secluded Gillin’s beach. There are trails all over the area and signs for Makauwahi Cave. This section of cliffs is more interesting IMO than the section closer to the Hyatt (at Shipwreck’s Beach), partly because of the red colors in the cliffs, but the entire coastline extending from the end Hyatt.

The Maha’ulepu Heritage Trail continues along the coast, past the CJM Horse Stables. Google maps makes it appear as though the Maha’ulepu trail ends, officially perhaps, but trails abound and access is easy with parking spots tucked all over. Jeeps can get pretty close to the top of the cliffs here. I imagine you could follow this coastline, hiking for many miles and it would be well worth it.

The use of drones are NOT allowed in Hawaii State Parks, without a specific drone permit from the Dept. of Land & Natural Resources. Any use of a drone in a HawaiiState Park can result in severe fines and removal of any footage shot with a drone. On Kauai, State Parks include: The entire Napali Coast (including Ke‘e Beach, the Kalalau Trail, Hanakapiai Falls/Beach), Waimea Canyon, Koke‘e State Park, Wailua State Park (includes Wailua River, Wailua Falls, Secret Falls) and Opaekaa Falls.
Do the helicopter and plane tours fly over these state parks and nature reserves?

for instance, Waimea Canyon?

Maybe they pay a percentage of their tour profits to the state park dept or generate enough in taxes for the state.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BluMav