DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No Fly Zones Expending in Queens NY

eskadrone

Reactions
Hello everyone. This morning I went to my regular spot which is a local Flushing Meadows park with air field near lake/large pond. Usually I go there just to let my Mavic 2 fly and cycle through several batteries. Its located within 5 miles of LaGuardia airport, but its ok to fly within park limits. The whole area is about 1/2 mile to a mile, which is more than enough for me.
When it gets too crowded on the airfield I sometimes go to somewhat empty parking lot 200-300 feet across the lake from an airfield, never had a problem there.
Although, they have expended distance restrictions before, closer to crowded park area, which I understand why, they never got it so close to where we fly.
Sorry for being so thorough, just wanted to pain you a picture. Anyway got a Can’t Take Off message right after I did take off but It started landing automatically after about 30 sec in flight showing No Fly Zone message. I couldn’t even cancel landing, thankfully it was like 50ft away from me and brought it back safely. The Air Map said that there was a temporary restriction due to the Mets game. The stadium is about a mile away.
Just wanted to share this with you guys and see if anyone else had the same experience. Thanks!

Reactions: Bahnfiya
Its located within 5 miles of LaGuardia airport, but its ok to fly within park limits.

Fellow Brooklyn flyer here, curious to know more about your statement above and what makes it okay to fly within 5 miles of an airport?

Thanks for the additional infos, I haven't flown in Queens but do fly out in Calvert Vaux Park.

Reactions: eskadrone
Fellow Brooklyn flyer here, curious to know more about your statement above and what makes it okay to fly within 5 miles of an airport?

Thanks for the additional infos, I haven't flown in Queens but do fly out in Calvert Vaux Park.

Hey there! There is an AMA Queens Flight club located in Flashing Meadows Corona park exactly 4.2 miles from La Guardia Airport.
Well, it’s not much of a club but a model aircraft field which is used mostly by local enthusiasts.

Not too long ago I could fly a bit further to the other side of the park, now there is a virtual wall and the drone just stops. Nice lady says “you’ve reached authorization zone” which is totally fine cause you can also fly further the other direction.
How is the situation in bk? Once I tried floyd bennett field but it was a no go, officer showed up out of nowhere and told me I can’t

The stadium TFR goes out 3 miles with covers the whole park. There is a VIP TFR for tomorrow (4/10/19), but which shows up in Go4 today, which covers about half the park. A search on "Flushing" turned up several other threads about the park.

Reactions: eskadrone
The stadium TFR goes out 3 miles with covers the whole park. There is a VIP TFR for tomorrow (4/10/19), but which shows up in Go4 today, which covers about half the park. A search on "Flushing" turned up several other threads about the park.

Yes, I just saw that too. Thanks for your input!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark