DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No more wondering which way the wind is blowing with the DJI Pilot 2 App.

SteveR43

Reactions
See pic below. The DJI Pilot 2 app shows the wind speed and its direction relative to the direction of your drone. In the picture, you will see a wind peed of 22.6 mph coming from behind the drone. The arrow is pointing forward telling me I have a 22.6 mph tail wind. This is good if it's in the direction of my home point. When I turned around and flew against the tail wind my drone slowed down to about 25 mph. With the tail wind it went 47 mph.

When I owned the Mavic 3 it didn't have such a readout. So, on windy days, I had to use third party software or fly my drone in a circle to see which direction it slowed the most and which direction in picked up speed the most. Then I knew which way and approximately how intense the wind was blowing.

IMG_1396.jpg
Note: that yellow H is not my height/altitude. It is the distance my drone is from the (H)ome point.

The fact that they don't make that app available to "regular" mavic 3 drones is so frustrating but it is what it is. Nice for those that can use it.

DJI is missing a big slice of their operators if this isn't made available to all their platforms. Valuable, basic information such as this allows the operator to make better informed decisions and conceivably save Dji lots of dollars in processing insured damaged drones that didn't make it back to base. Seems like a no-brainer to me to have it available to all their customers.

Reactions: SteveR43
DJI is missing a big slice of their operators if this isn't made available to all their platforms. Valuable, basic information such as this allows the operator to make better informed decisions and conceivably save Dji lots of dollars in processing insured damaged drones that didn't make it back to base. Seems like a no-brainer to me to have it available to all their customers.
same with "real" waypoints and an sdk for all the mavics

I get the market segmentation rationale for keeping autonomous waypoints exclusive to the Enterprise class of products (not that I'm happy about it).

Keeping this out of amateur's hands makes no sense whatsoever. For a company the size and scope of DJI, the development cost to integrate this with Fly and then maintain it is noise in the Financials.

This is an obvious pure safety play.

Especially if they were to do a competent engineering job and modularized this with well defined interfaces and protocols.

Reactions: Aerophile
I agree with you. Since I noticed this little feature (wind speed and direction) I have been using it during every flight to assure my drone can go a certain distance and have the power to make it home. It's easy to judge when you know this info.

It virtually assures the pilot will make a better decision of when to return home and thus prevent damage to a drone that couldn't quite make it back to home base. DJI has to eat the cost when the drone is returned damaged under their DJI Care policies. At least that's what I would think.

Reactions: JDubyaM
To chime in,
Didn't the Phantom 4 introduce a windspeed readout? Why did it have it and none of the Mavics that followed?
Odd..

I get the market segmentation rationale for keeping autonomous waypoints exclusive to the Enterprise class of products (not that I'm happy about it).

Keeping this out of amateur's hands makes no sense whatsoever. For a company the size and scope of DJI, the development cost to integrate this with Fly and then maintain it is noise in the Financials.

This is an obvious pure safety play.

Especially if they were to do a competent engineering job and modularized this with well defined interfaces and protocols.
You're speaking like you have experience in software engineering ... makes too much sense.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1