DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Notifying uncontrolled airports.

davidzimagery

Reactions
I live in a rural farmland area, 15 miles from the nearest controlled airport. When I open B4UFly, there are half a dozen grass air strips within 5 miles. If I move out of range of those, there are that many more in that area. In 30 years, I've rarely seen any activity at any of them. I have no idea how to find contact information for any but a couple of them. Is there a central source of contact numbers? If I hear an airplane or helicopter, I immediately, visually locate it and decrease my altitude if necessary. I would also avoid flying in the vicinity of either end of the runways.

Air Nav has what I need. Do I contact each airport or can I notify the numbers in the airport communication list to cover the notification requirement?

How are those different?
The airport communication numbers appear to be nearby controlled airports, that I assume these private field pilots get in contact with when they are going to take off. The airfield owners, are listed with their personal cell or home phone numbers.

The airport communication numbers appear to be nearby controlled airports, that I assume these private field pilots get in contact with when they are going to take off. The airfield owners, are listed with their personal cell or home phone numbers.

Ah right - you need to call the owners. The more distant towers won't be interested and don't need to be involved.

Hardly makes it worth the trouble to own a sUAS, even out here in the middle of nowhere. By the time I make all those calls, I'll be out of time to actually fly.

I'd suggest just attempting to call and set up an arrangement. They are not going to want to hear from you ever time after that.

Reactions: davidzimagery
Unless the rule has changed, I thought a part 107 pilot doesn't need to contact airports that are in G airspace, but hobby fliers do.

If you are a Part 107 pilot then you don't need to contact any airport unless you have an authorization or waiver with that action as a condition. And in Class G you don't need authorization at all. Based on your question I assumed that you were flying recreationally.

Yeah I neglected to clarify that point. I heard a conversation that made it sound like that had changed. I didn't have a chance to clarify it at the time. Once I got to thinking about it I did the research I should have done before I got all worked up. But this did motivate me to start using the aps related to airport locations. I will utilize them to have a situational understanding of airports in unfamiliar territory.

The FAA says you should contact every airport, and their definition of an airport is grossly exaggerated.
It is a senseless and ridiculous requirement, in my view.
Still, a requirement.
I don't bother.

I am 107 and a career airline pilot, and very familiar with airspace and potential conflicts.
I contact ATC at the local airport when the tower is in operation.
Otherwise, I don't.

Eventually, the FAA will provide realistic procedures.
As of now, having to call a guy who has a dirt runway that is used once a month is not realistic.

The FAA says you should contact every airport, and their definition of an airport is grossly exaggerated.
It is a senseless and ridiculous requirement, in my view.
Still, a requirement.
I don't bother.

I am 107 and a career airline pilot, and very familiar with airspace and potential conflicts.
I contact ATC at the local airport when the tower is in operation.
Otherwise, I don't.

Eventually, the FAA will provide realistic procedures.
As of now, having to call a guy who has a dirt runway that is used once a month is not realistic.

If you are 107 then you don’t need to call the tower, but a nice courtesy if you are close.

I hear ya. I flew a J5 Cub from grass strips for 10 years with no radio. Taught me to be vigilant and to use common sense. No drones back then, but C 130s and med helos weren't uncommon at low altitude.

Reactions: strdr
If you are a Part 107 pilot then you don't need to contact any airport unless you have an authorization or waiver with that action as a condition. And in Class G you don't need authorization at all. Based on your question I assumed that you were flying recreationally.
If you are a Part 107 pilot and wanting to fly in controlled airspace you must receive authorization via laanc or by contacting the ATC. 107 Pilots do not have a free pass to fly in controlled airspace if I'm understanding your response.

If you are a Part 107 pilot and wanting to fly in controlled airspace you must receive authorization via laanc or by contacting the ATC. 107 Pilots do not have a free pass to fly in controlled airspace if I'm understanding your response.

No - you did not understand my response. I said that you do not need to contact any airports. I didn't say that you don't need authorization to fly in controlled airspace.

At this point I'm staying in G airspace. I'm aware of the notification requirement in controlled airspace.

No - you did not understand my response. I said that you do not need to contact any airports. I didn't say that you don't need authorization to fly in controlled airspace.
How do you get authorization from those small airports that do not participate in the lannc program who are in class D airspace? Who are you getting authorization from if not the ACT?

Pull up the sectional charts on skyvector.com. Any airport will appear on the sectional. Look at
For the testing supplement that will help understanding the sectionals

Reactions: Rich55
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman