DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Notifying uncontrolled airports.

How do you get authorization from those small airports that do not participate in the lannc program who are in class D airspace? Who are you getting authorization from if not the ACT?
In addition to the online methods, you can call them directly. The number may not be published, so you might have to call the airport manager to get the number to the tower. Edit: I might be wrong, see below.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
In addition to the online methods, you can call them directly. The number may not be published, so you might have to call the airport manager to get the number to the tower.

That is incorrect, per explicit FAA guidance to facilities:

3. Facility Responsibilities.
a. General. In the event a Part 107 operator contacts an ATC facility directly for authorization, the facility must not issue the authorization. The facility must direct the operator to the FAA UAS website, Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS).​

Reactions: sdold
That is incorrect, per explicit FAA guidance to facilities:

3. Facility Responsibilities.
a. General. In the event a Part 107 operator contacts an ATC facility directly for authorization, the facility must not issue the authorization. The facility must direct the operator to the FAA UAS website, Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS).​
I'll have to look into this. A local tower has been giving me permission to fly in the class D airspace. Are you sure this applies to a one-time operation? Edit: Never mind, I'll google this and not ask you to do the work for me. I need to follow my own advice in this regard.

Another edit: I think you are right, at least in a quick read through this:

Last edited:
I'll have to look into this. A local tower has been giving me permission to fly in the class D airspace. Are you sure this applies to a one-time operation?

Yes, it does. However, it's clear that not all ATC facilities understand or have been following the FAA order.

I just went to Dronezone. I remember doing this once before, but I screwed it up. I wanted permission to fly on a single day in a small area within a class D area, and I submitted maps, explananed that I was a CFI and knew the area, all kinds of stuff thinking I would get the OK to fly that day. I must have selected the wrong option somewhere because after about three months (two weeks too late for the event I wanted to video) they issued me a Certificate of Waiver/Authorization that was good for two years. It included maps, instructions to call the tower 15 minutes before and after any operations, etc. It wasn't what I needed but I'm glad I was able to get it. I feel like I need to go over there once in a while so the FAA doesn't think I've wasted their time :)

I'll have to look into this. A local tower has been giving me permission to fly in the class D airspace. Are you sure this applies to a one-time operation? Edit: Never mind, I'll google this and not ask you to do the work for me. I need to follow my own advice in this regard.

Another edit: I think you are right, at least in a quick read through this:

That's the order that I linked to in post #24.

Something that doesn't make sense to me as a hobbyist (unlike Part 107) is that I don't need permission to fly in controlled airspace. If I am within 5 SM of an airport I have to notify ATC or AP manager, but if I am outside that radius I do not. I'm guessing that is something that needs to be addressed in the upcoming FAA rule changes.

Something that doesn't make sense to me as a hobbyist (unlike Part 107) is that I don't need permission to fly in controlled airspace. If I am within 5 SM of an airport I have to notify ATC or AP manager, but if I am outside that radius I do not. I'm guessing that is something that needs to be addressed in the upcoming FAA rule changes.

It has been addressed. Hobbyists will need authorization to fly in controlled airspace.

For something that has been out for some time, now, and yet still causes so much confusion, we need a decision tree.

If you guys stay in your backyards you don’t need to worry. Lol

Very much NOT true at all. If your aircraft leaves Terra Firma you need to know what you're doing and what notifications are required for that airspace.

Which do you mean - you don't need to know what you are doing, you can ignore the laws, or the laws don't apply?

Your assuming everyone flies like you!

I seriously doubt every time you fly you fly LOS and have 100% sight of Drone

Also, not everyone is 107

Stop trying to be a judge of others

Your assuming everyone flies like you!

I seriously doubt every time you fly you fly LOS and have 100% sight of Drone

Also, not everyone is 107

Stop trying to be a judge of others

I'm not judging anything - I'm trying to clarify what you meant by "not true" in reply to @BigAl07's post.

OK - so you just meant that you can ignore airspace laws.

I didn’t say that! Fly responsibly. I don’t fly near airports, don’t fly along highways and don’t fly over stadiums full of people. I do fly over cows, etc

FAA Drone regs. can’t be enforced! If they can please explain how? Drones have no IFF devise

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead