DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Notifying uncontrolled airports.

NATS, Drone Buddy and Drone assist apps seem to have a flight log type notification within those apps. Maybe you have similar your side....

I guess if I’m on those and the flight is logged by then it is out there in the public domain and anyone checking will know the flight is around.

As you say, calling every dogsbody just in case is kinda overkill me thinx

.... FAA Drone regs. can’t be enforced! If they can please explain how? Drones have no IFF devise
Sorry not to be able to provide a reference, but I remember reading that FAA had a threshold, I believe it was 5 reports of any drone flight, illegally in an area that was to result in an investigation of some sort.

Sorry not to be able to provide a reference, but I remember reading that FAA had a threshold, I believe it was 5 reports of any drone flight, illegally in an area that was to result in an investigation.

Great. How do they identify the Drones that have been reported? It’s the gray one! Lol

Reactions: strdr
I didn’t say that! Fly responsibly. I don’t fly near airports, don’t fly along highways and don’t fly over stadiums full of people. I do fly over cows, etc

FAA Drone regs. can’t be enforced! If they can please explain how? Drones have no IFF devise

Whether or not the regulations are broadly enforced doesn't change the regulations, and just because you don't get caught doesn't mean that you didn't break the law. And they certainly can be enforced, even though in many situations you would be unlucky to have that happen.

As for how you might get caught - if, for example, your drone lost positioning due to a compass error, for example, drifted off and crashed into someone/something (that's happened many times), and retrieved by LE, then the flight logs would demonstrate whether you had been in compliance with the law. Likely - no, possible - yes.

False, not factual or not true. Flying a Drone takes many forms. Besides FAA can’t enforce their standards!

Flying a sUAS takes on 3 forms....

• 1) Hobby operations
  • 2) Civil Operations (commercials falls under Civil)
  • 3) Govt Use operations (Emergency Services, Law Enforcement etc)

Many of us fly under 2 of those and a few of us have the pleasure of flying under all 3 at some time or another.

None of those allow for you to go flying Willy Nilly (at least not in the National Airspace System of the USA) without rules or guidelines. Fortunately in the very near future Hobby will have more clear and strict rules (I didn't say guidelines for a good reason) that will "Clear the Water" to some degree.

Whether or not the regulations are broadly enforced doesn't change the regulations, and just because you don't get caught doesn't mean that you didn't break the law. And they certainly can be enforced, even though in many situations you would be unlucky to have that happen.

As for how you might get caught - if, for example, your drone lost positioning due to a compass error, for example, drifted off and crashed into someone/something (that's happened many times), and retrieved by LE, then the flight logs would demonstrate whether you had been in compliance with the law. Likely - no, possible - yes.

Very funny. You are way to serious

I’d love to see you post some actual data not woulda shoulda coulda opinion.

I do check my compass prior to flight!

Sorry - as everyone around here knows I never post any data...

Great. How do they identify the Drones that have been reported? It’s the gray one! Lol
My understanding is not that they try to hunt previous flyers down, but that they would do surveillance for an undefined period of time to identify current potential abusers real-time.

My understanding is not that they try to hunt previous flyers down, but that they would do surveillance for an undefined period of time to identify current potential abusers real-time.

Great assumption. How many have they detained or filed charges against?

Reactions: strdr
Great assumption. How many have they detained or filed charges against?
Of course you know the answer to your question... but do you want to be among the first, or be part of a problem that results in more rigid laws and enforcement. Yea, I know of other laws, like automobile speed limits that are flaunted, but drones seem to be an area of increased scrutiny as the number of drones flying has risen.

Reactions: BigAl07

It's funny you say this.. .because ALL you've posted is your opinion. You just happen to not like it when others post a well educated opinion that contradicts yours.

Post some data that supports your point of view.

It's funny you say this.. .because ALL you've posted is your opinion. You just happen to not like it when others post a well educated opinion that contradicts yours.

Post some data that supports your point of view.

That's very true, but also this isn't a matter of opinion. The laws and regulations are not ambiguous, and are not opinions. We appear to be arguing with someone who neither knows nor cares about the regulations, and is also unable to distinguish not getting caught from not breaking the law. As a result the discussion is worthless.

Of course you know the answer to your question... but do you want to be among the first, or be part of a problem that results in more rigid laws and enforcement. Yea, I know of other laws, like automobile speed limits that are flaunted, but drones seem to be an area of increased scrutiny as the number of drones flying has risen.

I believe in flying responsible as I have stated. I have no intentions of any other!

I just rather amused at the Drone police on this site! They don’t seem to discuss any great flights or post pictures! Go figure

I live in a rural farmland area, 15 miles from the nearest controlled airport. When I open B4UFly, there are half a dozen grass air strips within 5 miles. If I move out of range of those, there are that many more in that area. In 30 years, I've rarely seen any activity at any of them. I have no idea how to find contact information for any but a couple of them. Is there a central source of contact numbers? If I hear an airplane or helicopter, I immediately, visually locate it and decrease my altitude if necessary. I would also avoid flying in the vicinity of either end of the runways.

If you are operating under Part 101, I'd recommend contacting, for your area, either Kansas City Center or Chicago Center as those are going to be the most likely ARTCC facilities you would have to deal with here. Tell them where you propose to conduct the flight, when your proposed departure time is, maximum altitude you will be operating up to, and total duration of flight. They're probably going to just tell you to remain clear of the airports in question and remain below 400 ft AGL.

Ok guys I apologize but I'm still confused.
1. If I'm a part 107 pilot wanting to fly in Class D airspace I must contact the ATC via a phone call or laanc. True or False. (It's my understanding that I must)
2.Regardless if I'm a Part 107 pilot or not but I'm flying recreationally in Class D airspace, under current law outside the 5 mile radius must I contact the ATC via phone or laanc? True or False.

In each question I'm wanting to fly in Class D airspace according to the sectional chart.

1. If I'm a part 107 pilot wanting to fly in Class D airspace I must contact the ATC via a phone call or laanc. True or False. (It's my understanding that I must)
2.Regardless if I'm a Part 107 pilot or not but I'm flying recreationally in Class D airspace, under current law outside the 5 mile radius must I contact the ATC via phone or laanc? True or False.

In each question I'm wanting to fly in Class D airspace according to the sectional chart.

I posted the FAA guidance back in post #21.

I believe in flying responsible as I have stated. I have no intentions of any other!

I just rather amused at the Drone police on this site! They don’t seem to discuss any great flights or post pictures! Go figure

And said "Drone Police" are less than amused at your lack of caring what the laws are. So I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree for now.

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
[/QUOTE]
Under the current rules: False. With pending revision: very likely True.

No - as is stated in the guidance the options are LAANC or the FAA authorization/waiver portal. Contacting ATC directly is not an option.

Under the current rules: False. With pending revision: very likely True.

That's correct - outside the 5-mile radius the airspace class is irrelevant to recreational flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom