DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Notifying uncontrolled airports.

No - as is stated in the guidance the options are LAANC or the FAA authorization/waiver portal. Contacting ATC directly is not an option.

That's correct - outside the 5-mile radius the airspace class is irrelevant to recreational flight.
Thank you. Lots of mixed info out there. I was traveling in Florida recently and was wanting to fly in controlled airspace (Fort Lauderdale). The state published the phone number for the airports around Fort Lauderdale including Fort Lauderdale / Hollywood which is a decent sized airport. I contacted the control tower to provide notification. I naturally assumed that since the number was provided on the city's website for drone users that it was the proper procedure if you didn't have access to laanc. The small regional ATC numbers were posted to their drone website also. Whomever I talked to in the ACT seemed to have been aware and use to receiving calls. Hopefully the drone procedures don't end up like TSA with different rules at each airport.

Last edited:
To be fair that information is correct with regard to recreational flying. Perhaps they assumed that anyone flying under Part 107 would already be fully aware of the Part 07 requirements.
I would assume they don't know the difference. It also could be they have not updated their process post 107.

I would assume they don't know the difference. It also could be they have not updated their process post 107.

They are describing the Part 101 (Section 336) requirements that don't predate Part 107. They might have been ignorant of Part 107 but, since it's the umbrella regulation, that seems unlikely. More probable is that they just wanted to keep it as simple as possible for recreational pilots.

They are describing the Part 101 (Section 336) requirements that don't predate Part 107. They might have been ignorant of Part 107 but, since it's the umbrella regulation, that seems unlikely. More probable is that they just wanted to keep it as simple as possible for recreational pilots.
I bet the ATC folks don't like it. I think it's much better to have a system that does not require calls to the ATC. I'm familar with laanc and the process for those airports that are currently participating but a little foggy on how to get authorization in controlled airspace that are not compliant yet. I guess we do not have long to wait until all are in the system. Thanks for all the feedback.

I bet the ATC folks don't like it. I think it's much better to have a system that does not require calls to the ATC. I'm familar with laanc and the process for those airports that are currently participating but a little foggy on how to get authorization in controlled airspace that are not compliant yet. I guess we do not have long to wait until all are in the system. Thanks for all the feedback.

The non-LAANC method is in the Part 107 dashboard on the FAA DroneZone website

Reactions: Thomas B
I want to make sure I'm clear about this. Under 107 we use LAANC or Dronezone, and a hobbiest under 101 can call ATC, is that accurate?

I want to make sure I'm clear about this. Under 107 we use LAANC or Dronezone, and a hobbiest under 101 can call ATC, is that accurate?
Yup, for Part 101 if you are within 5 SM of the airport contact the ATCT.

I live in a rural farmland area, 15 miles from the nearest controlled airport. When I open B4UFly, there are half a dozen grass air strips within 5 miles. If I move out of range of those, there are that many more in that area. In 30 years, I've rarely seen any activity at any of them. I have no idea how to find contact information for any but a couple of them. Is there a central source of contact numbers? If I hear an airplane or helicopter, I immediately, visually locate it and decrease my altitude if necessary. I would also avoid flying in the vicinity of either end of the runways.
You might try AirMap. It's a free app and you can customize the shape of your flight area (does not always have to be a circle) If your flight area does not cross over an airport's nfz you'll not get an advisory. Pretty cool. And, if you need to notify an airport, AirMap will give you the number to call, OR will tell you the airport accepts digital notification of flights. In that case, when you submit your flight plan to AirMap, the airport is automatically notified.

You might try AirMap. It's a free app and you can customize the shape of your flight area (does not always have to be a circle) If your flight area does not cross over an airport's nfz you'll not get an advisory. Pretty cool. And, if you need to notify an airport, AirMap will give you the number to call, OR will tell you the airport accepts digital notification of flights. In that case, when you submit your flight plan to AirMap, the airport is automatically notified.
I've got B4UFly and Airmap on my phone. Even though I'm Part 107, I haven't found a need to fly in controlled air space. I will use these aps in unfamiliar territory to ensure that I'm not. Also to be aware of any potential aircraft activity emanating from uncontrolled air fields.

I live in a rural farmland area, 15 miles from the nearest controlled airport. When I open B4UFly, there are half a dozen grass air strips within 5 miles. If I move out of range of those, there are that many more in that area. In 30 years, I've rarely seen any activity at any of them. I have no idea how to find contact information for any but a couple of them. Is there a central source of contact numbers? If I hear an airplane or helicopter, I immediately, visually locate it and decrease my altitude if necessary. I would also avoid flying in the vicinity of either end of the runways.
I live near an airport that has no tower. I believe pilots use a common radio channel and announce their positions and intent. Air traffic is active and easy to observe. Some time ago, I always called the airport manager, and at times left messages of my position and flight intentions.

Then one day he answered the phone! He was borderline rude and clearly annoyed that I would bother him about flying a toy. What could he do anyway, the pilots manage their own traffic?

I don't call anymore.

IMO, you need to use judgement. If you observe any use of the airport or you are flying close enough to it to be heard or seen, contact the owner. It has more to do with “respect” for the owner than safety. Having a conflict near the type of airport you are describing isn’t any more likely than where there isn’t an airport.

Calling the airport manager of an uncontrolled airport is a waste of time. An uncontrolled airport is just that. And as a previous post by the pilot of the Cub stated, a radio is not required equipment for certain aircraft. The airport manager can’t call everyone and if they do some won’t be able to hear them.

Pattern altitude for all airports is listed in the AFD/Flight Supplement. Usually it’s 1,000’ AGL, but for some it’s 800’. What the FAA is having a hard time explaining is they want separation between all aircraft. Staying out of the approach and departure runway headings is what you must be clear on.

If you’re flying in an area where visibility is restricted (by trees,etc), a transceiver can be had for cheap.

There are uncontrolled “airports” in places where I have never seen an manned aircraft fly from in 10 years. This would all be easier if we all used a radio and talked. Transceivers are less expensive than my Mavic. Manned aircraft are supposed to announce at 10 mi/5mi and entering the pattern, which would give everyone plenty of time to stay separated.

Some of my buddies who fly aircraft old enough that a radio isn’t required do that to celebrate the nostalgia. To each his own, but most of them carried an ICOM.

Calling the airport manager of an uncontrolled airport is a waste of time. An uncontrolled airport is just that. And as a previous post by the pilot of the Cub stated, a radio is not required equipment for certain aircraft. The airport manager can’t call everyone and if they do some won’t be able to hear them.

Pattern altitude for all airports is listed in the AFD/Flight Supplement. Usually it’s 1,000’ AGL, but for some it’s 800’. What the FAA is having a hard time explaining is they want separation between all aircraft. Staying out of the approach and departure runway headings is what you must be clear on.

If you’re flying in an area where visibility is restricted (by trees,etc), a transceiver can be had for cheap.

There are uncontrolled “airports” in places where I have never seen an manned aircraft fly from in 10 years. This would all be easier if we all used a radio and talked. Transceivers are less expensive than my Mavic. Manned aircraft are supposed to announce at 10 mi/5mi and entering the pattern, which would give everyone plenty of time to stay separated.

Some of my buddies who fly aircraft old enough that a radio isn’t required do that to celebrate the nostalgia. To each his own, but most of them carried an ICOM.

Some valid observations but the fact remains that the law requires hobbyists to call the airport operator/owner of uncontrolled airports within 5 miles, so that's very poor advice. And it certainly isn't always a waste of time calling them because they will often advise on traffic patterns and schedules. Most hobbyists don't have access to or know how to read AFDs or plates.

The uncontrolled airport near me has even produced a notification form to try to make the process easier.

Reactions: jacquespa and GregD
I'd suggest just attempting to call and set up an arrangement. They are not going to want to hear from you ever time after that.

As I recall, the regulation says that you “must contact the operator of the airport(s).” However in practice, that isn’t always possible for any number of reasons that are beyond the control of the sUAS PIC. Therefore, it is a weak law that doesn’t address the issue it is trying to address, which is coordination and separation of manned and unmanned aircraft in the vicinity of airports. In fact, notifying the operator of a seldom-used, non-control towered airport does little to address this since the fact that sUASs may be operating in the area may not get conveyed to the pilot(s) of manned aircraft using the airport since no one may be at the airport to tell them when they are approaching or using the airport,

In any case, I think if a sUAS PIC’s aircraft collided with a manned aircraft operating to or from an airport that the PIC couldn’t contact, the sUAS PIC would still be liable because...

1) It could be said that the sUAS PIC should not have flown without contacting the opporator of the airport, and

2) Other regs say sUASs must stay clear of manned aircraft.

So, unless the manned aircraft is violating minimum safe altitude rules, the sUAS would be at fault.

When I find myself in this situation, I document that I contacted or attempted to contact the airport(s), follow all the other rules, and monitor an aviation band hand-held radio for local manned aircraft operations on applicable frequencies as indicated on a VFR aeronautical chart for the area. In an emergency, after doing everything I could to get out of the way, and if necessary to avoid a collision, I would transmit on the radio in an attempt to protect the manned aircraft. Note: Currently, you need a license to transmit on an aviation band radio while outside of an aircraft and on the ground, but, as is true for any licensed radio services, an unlicensed operator can transmit on licensed frequencies to mitigate a life-threatening situation.

I also fly with insurance.

I established a flying field near my company’s office, with the permission of the property owner, to train our sUAS pilots. This field is just inside the 5-mile limit of an non-towered, seldom-used private airport. I found the airport operator’s contact info (he lives in another city), called the listed phone number several times and left messages, and then sent him a letter explaining our operations indicating that unless I heard from him, we would be operating at our training field on occasion for the foreseeable future while following procedures that are similar to those I outlined in the previous two paragraphs (in this post). I have had no complaints from the airport operator and I assume the FAA would consider him properly notified.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25