DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Now... I hate my Mavic

It could be a coincidence. Don't you just love them?

Android has known problems, but it usually results with the app crashing than anything else.
can you even roll the app back? last update they gave my mavic/dji 4 app refused to connect to drone without explaination,so i checked for updates and saw there was one,so as last resort coz i tried everything else to connect,i installed the update-soon as it installed,connected fine...was flying fine before new update became available,so am ''guessing'' it was refusing to let me fly if app wasnt updated?

I learned this not just as a consumer but also from working in the industry. During the development cycle for a new product we put our best programmers on the Job. They then move on to the next model as soon as this model has been debugged and is getting ready for market. We would leave back one or two of the mid ranking guys for a couple of months to help with training and fixing any problems that might pop up when it's released to market, after that they join the main team on the next gen product.

At this point in the products life we would have the lowest rated guys working on modifications and bugs.

Rob

Harsh but true, they are all prepping for Mavic Advanced now. I dont think I will upgrade from .550 anytime soon, I just starting having video glitch and transmission issues as soon as I applied the .600 firmware.

Yeah I know Im not the only one with problems on Android Nougat.... but cmon DJI fix this please.

My drone on the 600 firmware was useless. Constantly lost control between the controller and the drone. I had a flyaway into some bushes. Luckily no damage just a lot of pruned shrubs. Once I rolled it back all was good. Maybe the 700 firmware will resolve this but I'm not touching my setup again now that everything is humming along.

Reactions: Jaysjob and HUP55
Ill have to give that a try. Next flight Im going to give Litchi a shot and see how that turns out. The remote stays connected to the bird the whole time. Thanks for the reply.

I have been debating trying out the Litchi App myself. I have had all sorts of issues with my Mavic I never had with my P4. I.E. App locked completely up (RC still works), App crashing (not a huge deal just relaunch), I had GPS signal on mavic itself turn off (almost lost device due to wind), Now im getting a battery read error in the app. Like you im trying not to loose my faith.

When I first got my mavic back months ago, I absolutely loved this thing. But now with the new updates and with Android Nougat, this bird is now a huge liability and a bigger waste of money. Every time I fly, since the DJI update and the Nougat update, I am constantly getting "signal interference" in my front yard, where I never had this issue before. I get constant disconnects from the DJI app which leaves me scrambling to find my Mavic at its last location. I dont fly far at all, its just that there a lot of trees in my neighborhood, so if I go past the first few homes, I cant see it. None of this was an issue when I first got my Mavic. I have zero joy of flying it now, and just think about when its not going to come home. Sorry, for the rant. I just wasted a thousand dollars on this thing and im too scared to fly it now.
did the trees have no leaves when you were flying months ago, this may be an irritating question but...... I have noticed that I cannot fly from my backyard anymore because the signal will not go through the leaves, I have been flying mine with all the updates and have not had one issue , everything that has gone wrong with my mavics can be traced right back to me .

Exactly! However there are quite a few people for some reason just have to update every time a new FW rolls out then come the complaints LoL,,,, but for the long time pilots we learned early on all about this![emoji12]
I have DJI refresh, so it is a warranty issue for me, I stay up to date with their software, so they don't pull some excuse that the issue that caused me to need a refresh was "just fixed" in the new FW.

I have been debating trying out the Litchi App myself. I have had all sorts of issues with my Mavic I never had with my P4. I.E. App locked completely up (RC still works), App crashing (not a huge deal just relaunch), I had GPS signal on mavic itself turn off (almost lost device due to wind), Now im getting a battery read error in the app. Like you im trying not to loose my faith.
I've stopped flying my mavic except for special occasions.
I'm so tired of the locked screen, app drop-outs and the uncertainty when it's in the air.
I have not been game to update the App or firmware for fear it will be even worse with no way back.
Android 7.1 on Sony Experia XZ.
I turn all background apps off, gps on and set the phone to Airplane mode to stop cell network transmission.
Tried both usb ports etc etc....
If you fly more than one flight, it will most often lock the screen....
Can't find an updated device list, but I'm not buying another device for this thing!

Sorry to hear about the issues you're having with the Mavic. The issues you are experiencing are Android related issues.

I'm also a Sony Xperia user and diehard Android user BUT I run a iPad Mini 4 specifically for the Mavic. Coming into this, I knew the Android app was not something I wanted to experience given all of the feedback regarding crashes and such. The experience has been nothing but flawless on iOS. It pains me to recommend it but try it with an iOS device and your feelings may change.

Sorry to hear about the issues you're having with the Mavic. The issues you are experiencing are Android related issues.

I'm also a Sony Xperia user and diehard Android user BUT I run a iPad Mini 4 specifically for the Mavic. Coming into this, I knew the Android app was not something I wanted to experience given all of the feedback regarding crashes and such. The experience has been nothing but flawless on iOS. It pains me to recommend it but try it with an iOS device and your feelings may change.
I don't have an Apple device and I'm not buying one now.
Apple users also have issues....
I just want the app to operate as intended.
There's so much bloatware on the thing it's no wonder it won't work.
I don't want goggle support, stream direct to the phone memory or to live feed anywhere. I want to fly the drone and film with it and have it return if I press Return Home.
The rest I'd like the option to toggle off and reduce the drain on resources.

I don't want goggle support, stream direct to the phone memory or to live feed anywhere. I want to fly the drone and film with it and have it return if I press Return Home.

There are a ton of Sony loaded apps that can't be removed on the Xperia phones. It might be possible to disable some of the apps but also risk causing unexplained issues at the same time.

For the purpose of flying the Mavic, the experience on iOS is much more refined compared to doing it with the Android DJI app. There is enough anxiety flying the Mavic as it is; eliminating some of that anxiety by choosing to utilize the best platform for the specific purpose of flying is worth it IMO. I hope there is some hope in solving the Android DJI app issues. As of now, I hope to never have to use it with my Android devices.

I had a lot of issues too, much og them cable related (USB-C). I've gone away from using my Xperia XZ (now on Android 7.1.1), as the current Android OS is quite buggy (IMO).
I'm using an Xperia Z3 now (my previous phone), and that works perfectly, no issues what so every, and I'm on the latest version of app and firmware.

My xz gets very hot when flying, had thermal shutdown twice, video drops out alot and if you have video after a couple of minutes flying the lag is over 1s which makes flying alot harder

I'm looking at getting a dedicated device because of this, it won't be apple and it will be something that fits in the controller but has a big screen

Does there seem to be more issues with USB c over micro USB?

I was going to recommend the Pixel or Pixel XL as the hardware is upper tier and software is free of bloatware. But only if you like the bleeding edge. Ours was upgraded to Android 8.0 Oreo two days ago and I am feeling wary about being a guinea pig flying the Mavic with it until the bugs are sorted out. Too much uncertainty.

I still can't imagine why people have all these issues with Android...I have S7 Edge and its flawless with all updated software, firmware...Wish you all the best

S6 edge 128gb version also buggy, everything updated, alot better then xz but still have video dropout but map still works in corner and app crashes

I still can't imagine why people have all these issues with Android...I have S7 Edge and its flawless with all updated software, firmware...Wish you all the best

I have the S5 but only use it for the Mavic / Phantom. I've deleted as many of the apps I can and never use it as a phone. I must say its been flawless. Hardly any video lag and stays connected reliably. It has a reasonable size display with an outdoor mode setting which helps slightly improving screen contrast. I avoid updating the phones OS as I am happy with the way it performs (Currently Marshmallow 6.0.1)

When I first got my mavic back months ago, I absolutely loved this thing. But now with the new updates and with Android Nougat, this bird is now a huge liability and a bigger waste of money. Every time I fly, since the DJI update and the Nougat update, I am constantly getting "signal interference" in my front yard, where I never had this issue before. I get constant disconnects from the DJI app which leaves me scrambling to find my Mavic at its last location. I dont fly far at all, its just that there a lot of trees in my neighborhood, so if I go past the first few homes, I cant see it. None of this was an issue when I first got my Mavic. I have zero joy of flying it now, and just think about when its not going to come home. Sorry, for the rant. I just wasted a thousand dollars on this thing and im too scared to fly it now.
Did you manage to fix the issue?

I have the S5 but only use it for the Mavic / Phantom. I've deleted as many of the apps I can and never use it as a phone. I must say its been flawless. Hardly any video lag and stays connected reliably. It has a reasonable size display with an outdoor mode setting which helps slightly improving screen contrast. I avoid updating the phones OS as I am happy with the way it performs (Currently Marshmallow 6.0.1)
Same here but it is used as phone too, and has plenty of other apps but I make sure all are shut down before using it with Mavic.
I have an elderly MotoG first gen can run Go4 too, though rather laggy. It now also has litchi on, also fine.
Then a Nexus 7 also works well with Go4 or Litchi, but only use that if out in car due to extra size.

DJI lists Apple Stores as official DJI resellers on their site. It's too bad Blackberry 10 never took off because it was a rock solid operating system. When I decided to move off of it I looked at Android and IOS. Android was too glitchy for me so I went with IOS. Enough said.

I'm sorry but after hundreds of flights, I've never had a locked screen on a Apple product.

I think you'll find that most people will tell you the same.

I'm not advocating, I'm just saying that's not completely true

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J