DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Nusa Penida - Flying through archways in the cliffs

Looks like the wind was blowing good and the mavic held it's own. Nice job.
Yeah it handled it fine! Quite stressful flying - the trade winds are strong enough that there is a pretty much constant high-wind warning.

Reactions: ceirsik
Nice.. what camera settings did you use? Any post processing?

Pretty much box settings - 4k, landscape, I think possibly EV -0.7 to deal with the glare from the sea, and just a tiny bit of tweaking contrast and highlights, but only using iMovie. I've ended up very lazy with camera settings, as I've been travelling for the whole time I've had the drone - no chance to sit down and mess around with it!

Pretty much box settings - 4k, landscape, I think possibly EV -0.7 to deal with the glare from the sea, and just a tiny bit of tweaking contrast and highlights, but only using iMovie. I've ended up very lazy with camera settings, as I've been travelling for the whole time I've had the drone - no chance to sit down and mess around with it!

Nothing wrong with that... It looks great except maybe for the shadows at 1:30 but it's hard to say if shooting in D-Log with reduced contrast and bringing it back in post would give you significantly better results.. it would definitely be more work ;)

Very Cool!!!
Question - I noticed a lot of shadow blocking in the cliffs - areas where it was almost like blurred watercolor.
Is that what I've been hearing about YouTube borking HD video? An example would be the arch face on the left at 1:30

very nice... I am headed to Bali in a couple of weeks (with the Mavic of course!)

Very Cool!!!
Question - I noticed a lot of shadow blocking in the cliffs - areas where it was almost like blurred watercolor.
Is that what I've been hearing about YouTube borking HD video? An example would be the arch face on the left at 1:30
I think that this is in the footage, and nothing to do with youtube - seems to come when you're shooting into the sun and it can't quite deal with the dynamic range. I should probably see if I can improve this through manual settings.

very nice... I am headed to Bali in a couple of weeks (with the Mavic of course!)
Excellent! You'll find the winds tend to pick up in the afternoon (along with the crowds). Generally not to un-flyable levels, but still gets a little more difficult. Have you picked out anywhere you'd like to fly?

I think that this is in the footage, and nothing to do with youtube - seems to come when you're shooting into the sun and it can't quite deal with the dynamic range. I should probably see if I can improve this through manual settings.
I've heard stories about HD video getting something akin to the JPEG blockiness after YouTube finishes with it. I'd look at your raw footage and compare.

I've heard stories about HD video getting something akin to the JPEG blockiness after YouTube finishes with it. I'd look at your raw footage and compare.
Yes you're right, just been back over and checked. There are some issues on the raw footage, that almost looks like Moiré type stuff, but that blockiness is different.

Thanks!
Is there anywhere you found that you'd recommend visiting?

We only stayed in 2 areas, Seminyak and Ubud. Ubud is more in the mountains and has a lot of places to visit. If you're feeling adventurous you can do the trek up Mount Batur for the sunrise. I didn't get a chance to do it but from the pictures my uncle got they are pretty breathtaking. My brother in law also did the trek and brought his Mavic but said the day he went it was too cloudy. There are also some nice rice terraces which made for some good footage. Tegenungan falls is also nice.

Only had just under a week in Bali so trying to pack in excursions with my brother in law's wedding made it tough

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan