DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle Avoidance Sun

skypros

Reactions
I have read that the older Mavics have a known problem with the Obstacle Avoidance and the glaring sun.
I purchased my mavic 12/21/16 and it was produced 11/24/16

It is really getting bad, If I face the mavic towards the sun.... it triggers the Obstacle Avoidance, and it is getting worse (or we have more sun than we did in the winter :rolleyes: ) Anyways..... It is really becoming a pain to fly sideways, backwards.... or put in sport mode (for me the mavic flies fast enough 80% of the time) and I really like the Obstacle Avoidance feature.

Does anyone know if DJI will do a warranty repair for the sensors??

Thank You

You gotta work with what you've got, and for me the slight problem of the Mavic's OA kicking in due to the sun is NOT a big deal. You simply turn off your front sensors IF you know you are not flying so low that you actually need OA on.
Do your filming with it off then just re-engage the front sensors and fly with OA on as usual, problem solved.

It doesn't bother me at all that the OA is so sensitive that it detects the glaring sun as an obstacle. I'd rather have that sensitivity working for me than not have it at all.

Flying the Mavic is a fluid process that involves learning more about it each time you take it up. Yes, it has fantastic systems working within itself. But each of those systems has its limitations, and part of growing with the Mav is to learn those systems and then use the ENTIRE machine to get the results you want out of it. DJI has done a great job of making nearly all things possible with its Mavic creation. Being made by man, the Mavic cannot be perfect...yet. But it's about as close as we can hope to get at this point in time, in my opinion.

Working with the Mavic's quirks is just part of the package. Same thing happens when jet fighters take to the skies. They deal with quirks in their machinery everyday that they have to learn to work with. Once you do, you're considered a competent pilot. And once you make those quirks work for you, you're considered an ace.

Has anyone tried putting neutral density filters over the optics?

Seems like the Mavic needs a pair of those "transitions" glasses to wear :p

Has anyone tried putting neutral density filters over the optics?

Seems like the Mavic needs a pair of those "transitions" glasses to wear :p

It doesn't work that way. The sensors are not in the camera.

Just as pointing the camera at the ground also will have no effect.

...as I discovered last weekend.

It doesn't work that way. The sensors are not in the camera.

Just as pointing the camera at the ground also will have no effect.

...as I discovered last weekend.
The front vision sensors are cameras.

I didn't mean the main camera, I meant little ND filters over the sensors on the front corners and the underside.

Electrically dimmable glass would be interesting - when the sensor is overwhelmed, dim down and see if it is a point source of light. This still suffers on big bright lights though if the light source was big enough to fill the sensor still.

Anyway, this is why you need to have a sonar or other system as a last resort sanity check, it sounds just like one of the problems discussed when there was the Tesla crash & death - the "is it the side of a bright white van or is it the sun/bright light?" problem that camera vision has vs radar/sonar/lidar (they each have their own pitfalls).

SO........ this problem with the glaring sun and the Mavic's Obstacle Avoidance..... Is with ALL Mavic's and My "older" model will perform the same as a newly made one (in this case of the Obstacle Avoidance sensitivity) ???

Yes from what I understand it is inherent in all Mavics regardless of when it was produced. One option is to turn OA off, but leave the radar open. It will still give you the audible warning (fast beeping) but won't stop the craft from forward movement. I tested this just the other day while flying into the setting sun and it worked.

Reactions: skypros
Thanks, had issue today when Mavic Pro refused to move forward after I backed it away an up for a reveal shot. The sun apparently (low and late afternoon) was causing the issue as I had the OA on. The battery was low and I had to “turn” drone around and backed it down, once lower, it seemed to be OK as the sun angle had changed. Thanks for the tip to turn of OA when doing these shots I do over the tree line and of the wild areas around us. Best to all

SO........ this problem with the glaring sun and the Mavic's Obstacle Avoidance..... Is with ALL Mavic's and My "older" model will perform the same as a newly made one (in this case of the Obstacle Avoidance sensitivity) ???
Yup...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe