DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle Error w OAS disabled

boone

Reactions
I had an incident that I'd like to get some insight from the community on. Especially our seasoned veterans who are awesome at CSI as it relates to these things.

I was flying near my home on Jekyll Island Ga. As usual I was out over the water, which seems to be my preference...I fly over water with OAS disabled always. I had the onscreen hud telling me this was true, and I checked it after the flight, and it was still disabled.

I flew out over the water during an absolutely breathtaking sunset aftermath (and I have some sick footage, best I've ever recorded, to share later on). Anyway, the sky was clear one way, and rain was moving in from the other direction. There was a shrimp boat I decided to circle and frame for a nice shot. The boat was in the direction of the rain, but the rain was fairly far off stil, maybe ten miles. As I neared the boat at about 150 feet, I got the obstacle error. Now, I've seen this before when I was flying nearly directly into the sun, but this was definitely not the case. To complicate things more, I had OAS completely disabled...what in the shiny happy hell happened?

I'd love any input anyone can give me, but let me warn you...I've never pulled logs or shared flight info before, so I apologize ahead of time, but you're going to have to walk me through this like I'm a second grader. I'm tech savvy enough, but this is new ground for me and I'd love some help. Honestly, I'd like to be able to figure out how to "read" these myself. I'm sure there's info out there I could research and figure it out, but since I know there are already Masters of this on this forum, I make my plea to you guys. Can anyone help me sort this?

Also meant to add, I regained control, but when the obstacle avoidance alert came up, it freaked me out since I knew that was turned off. I just immediately switched to sport mode (which seemed sluggish, but we can sort that one later). Just wanted to share the whole story. She came back to me no problem, and I even immediately took her right back out (get back on that **** horse, boy) and had no problems.

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
Marine radar interference? Just a thought, no idea. Love to see the footage!

Marine radar interference? Just a thought, no idea. Love to see the footage!

I really have no idea either. I'm hoping one of local gurus will help me get to the bottom of it. It was weird.

I’ll repeat something I’ve said before. It was the info and feedback I found in *this forum that gave me the confidence to not completely lose my mind when something went wrong that first time. Since then, I’ve had more failures of different kinds, but I’ve gained confidence in my abilities along the way too. I give a lot of credit to this forum and the contributors who helped me gain that confidence.

I always fly with vlos, but on this occasion I also had a spotter (my first time with one, and that is just awesome to have)

Reactions: Merlin23
I had an incident that I'd like to get some insight from the community on. Especially our seasoned veterans who are awesome at CSI as it relates to these things.

I was flying near my home on Jekyll Island Ga. As usual I was out over the water, which seems to be my preference...I fly over water with OAS disabled always. I had the onscreen hud telling me this was true, and I checked it after the flight, and it was still disabled.

I flew out over the water during an absolutely breathtaking sunset aftermath (and I have some sick footage, best I've ever recorded, to share later on). Anyway, the sky was clear one way, and rain was moving in from the other direction. There was a shrimp boat I decided to circle and frame for a nice shot. The boat was in the direction of the rain, but the rain was fairly far off stil, maybe ten miles. As I neared the boat at about 150 feet, I got the obstacle error. Now, I've seen this before when I was flying nearly directly into the sun, but this was definitely not the case. To complicate things more, I had OAS completely disabled...what in the shiny happy **** happened?

I'd love any input anyone can give me, but let me warn you...I've never pulled logs or shared flight info before, so I apologize ahead of time, but you're going to have to walk me through this like I'm a second grader. I'm tech savvy enough, but this is new ground for me and I'd love some help. Honestly, I'd like to be able to figure out how to "read" these myself. I'm sure there's info out there I could research and figure it out, but since I know there are already Masters of this on this forum, I make my plea to you guys. Can anyone help me sort this?

That would also freak me out if I had OAS off.. What firmware are you running? Maybe you could download the flight and link it so the log experts here can take a look. I for one would be interested to know what caused this to happen.

Are you not confusing OAS and VPS?
Also, by default when you disable OAS the "radar" display stays on and continues warning you, just not taking action. You need to toggle a 2nd switch to disable that too.

Are you not confusing OAS and VPS?
Also, by default when you disable OAS the "radar" display stays on and continues warning you, just not taking action. You need to toggle a 2nd switch to disable that too.

I want to say I'm 100% sure I had OAS disabled, but I will verify. There was an on screen radar icon that goes red when I have it disabled. And it warns me if I try to use active track etc. pretty sure it's OAS, but I'm questioning myself now. I'll double check.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
XdekHckr