DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic Air Range Leaderboard!

what kind of range are you guys getting in the city area? i'm seeing only about 400-500m stock on both 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz so wonder if its normal. had not manage to test it in open space yet

At least on altitudes above 40-50 meters it is still the battery that limits the range, see attached a flight over downtown Stockholm. I had to turn at 3 km due to the freezing cold (-12 degrees) started to lose the feeling in my fingers.....But on lower altitudes, lets say below roof level of the buildings, it can vary a lot, somtimes i get interference and lagg at just a 300-400 meters, and other times/places i have none of that, so it realy varys a lot..

Attachments

• pic.png
    pic.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
1st attempt... am I on the board? 2,488 meters. Winds at 18-20 in a crosswind. No Mods.IMG_0CAF0C4B38CD-1.jpeg

1st attempt... am I on the board? 2,488 meters. Winds at 18-20 in a crosswind. No Mods.View attachment 32439
Its a good attempt.... just keep trying stay comfortable with it and you will eventually get up on there yes you have to get another thousand meters probably to compete.... for instance I got over 13,000 feet stock and I'm like 5th Place. .. also some advice don't go with that much wind.... bad things will happen . You also killed too much battery because of the wind and only achieved just over 8,000 feet @ 65% with less wind you could have covered way more ground...also if you hit return to home on way back you can press the right stick forward and gain more speed without killing battery....29mph vs 18mph.... I think return to home is better with this aircraft for the way back because even with VPS off you still only achieve 18 miles per hour in P mode..... once you start getting comfortable you can flip it to sport mode ( instead of rth) and keep it at a constant 25 miles per hour it's hard to do for that long.... like I said when you get comfortable you can do that

Last edited:
Its a good attempt.... just keep trying stay comfortable with it and you will eventually get up on there yes you have to get another thousand meters probably to compete.... for instance I got over 13,000 feet stock and I'm like 5th Place. .. also some advice don't go with that much wind.... bad things will happen . You also killed too much battery because of the wind and only achieved just over 8,000 feet @ 65% with less wind you could have covered way more ground...also if you hit return to home on way back you can press the right stick forward and gain more speed without killing battery....29mph vs 18mph.... I think return to home is better with this aircraft for the way back because even with VPS off you still only achieve 18 miles per hour in P mode..... once you start getting comfortable you can flip it to sport mode ( instead of rth) and keep it at a constant 25 miles per hour it's hard to do for that long.... like I said when you get comfortable you can do that
Well, I was bored, and thought I would give it a whirl... Landed with 35%, so I know its very possible to hit another 1000m.... maybe again on a calmer night. I wonder if my I1's will every fly again, I have so much fun with this little thing.

Reactions: Mike4884
Well, I was bored, and thought I would give it a whirl... Landed with 35%, so I know its very possible to hit another 1000m.... maybe again on a calmer night. I wonder if my I1's will every fly again, I have so much fun with this little thing.
Another little trick i do before i do a run is send my P4 up to the height that i will be going out at and flick it into atti mode and just get an idea of the wind direction and speed at that height....I know its a bit of an overkill but that way you dont get caught out. I have had it where its calm as on the ground and up there the wind was anywhere from 7-12kph

Reactions: Drizz and Mike4884
Another little trick i do before i do a run is send my P4 up to the height that i will be going out at and flick it into atti mode and just get an idea of the wind direction and speed at that height....I know its a bit of an overkill but that way you dont get caught out. I have had it where its calm as on the ground and up there the wind was anywhere from 7-12kph
Yep!.. winds aloft are always higher. My property sits on high land, so my take off point should never be lower (at least for 20 miles or so).. So, maybe during the daylight, and a calmer day, I'll give it another go. I really think my Air had better range than my I1's!.. always getting signal dropout on them at 5000 ft.

you will get better. Just take it at your own pace and have fun with it. The Mavic Air is a great little drone.

Reactions: Drone1aerial
you will get better. Just take it at your own pace and have fun with it. The Mavic Air is a great little drone.
Yes... I think I have put more air time on this little beast more than my other ones. Great technology!

Hey u get to fly both birds! ;)

Reactions: Ozziebattler
Yep!.. winds aloft are always higher. My property sits on high land, so my take off point should never be lower (at least for 20 miles or so).. So, maybe during the daylight, and a calmer day, I'll give it another go. I really think my Air had better range than my I1's!.. always getting signal dropout on them at 5000 ft.
Its funny because people really doubt this little guy in terms of range and its "enhanced wifi" whatever dji did to "enhance" the wifi works great. My mav air gets better range then my og p4!
Anyway usually its the people that dont have one....or dont have one and just have the mav pro....people get so biased. I have both and really am impressed with ma range

Its funny because people really doubt this little guy in terms of range and its "enhanced wifi" whatever dji did to "enhance" the wifi works great. My mav air gets better range then my og p4!
Anyway usually its the people that dont have one....or dont have one and just have the mav pro....people get so biased. I have both and really am impressed with ma range

I agree, i have even grounded my P4P since I got the Air....ofcourse the camera is better on the P4P, but the camera on the Air is good enough and the range is just as good. Only the battery life is the real downsides on the Air.

Finally the weather permitted another test flight. All stock, no mods.
I made it to 4771m in the 5.8 GHz frequency band and back home with 3% battery left ...
Weather was flyable such as -3° C, wind was much weaker than the last days.

Here the link to the flight: Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

The next attempts i will definetly try at warmer temperatures :)

4771stats.jpg

EDIT: attached pics.
@Long Ranger

Last edited:
Reactions: Drone1aerial
Finally the weather permitted another test flight. All stock, no mods.
I made it to 4771m in the 5.8 GHz frequency band and back home with 3% battery left ...
Weather was flyable such as -3° C, wind was much weaker than the last days.

Here the link to the flight: Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

The next attempts i will definetly try at warmer temperatures :)

View attachment 32550

EDIT: attached pics.
@Drone Master
Thank you Keule. You are now in the 4th position!;)

Nice flight keule

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13