DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic Pro Range Leaderboard!

I live in highly congested filled with wifi signal neighborhood and my setup was not pole mounted, held it for almost 40mins
That's great man awesome job almost 40 min isn't easy to do for sure. My point was once you modify the controller does it really matter what antenna you use or what its mounted to? A modded controller is a modded controller. Thats just my opinion though bro. Awesome job with the mod I saw it on Facebook bro.

That's great man awesome job almost 40 min isn't easy to do for sure. My point was once you modify the controller does it really matter what antenna you use or what its mounted to? A modded controller is a modded controller. Thats just my opinion though bro. Awesome job with the mod I saw it on Facebook bro.
Agree. The modded controller people have 1 limit: Battery. The pole- modded people have another limitation: keeping LoS. We all know at these distances how hard it can be to find a suitable location to keep radio LoS.

Reactions: Unknown Caller
I'm going to start selling ticket and reserve rooms at the Hilton. For My spot. Lightspeed is my promoter.
CyberNate I can't guarantee no snakes :cool:

Agree. The modded controller people have 1 limit: Battery. The pole- modded people have another limitation: keeping LoS. We all know at these distances how hard it can be to find a suitable location to keep radio LoS.

Is there a simple chart or way to figure out how high you should be off the ground to maintain LOS when the Mavic is X number of miles out? (curvature of the Earth, trees, etc.) I've thought about rigging up some type of deer stand type thing to get off the ground a bit.

Wait:
I found this calculator actually, just add the height of houses, trees, whatever. At 3 miles the curvature is about 6 feet, and 5 miles 16.
Earth Curvature Calculator - Calculate the curve you should see

Last edited:
Is there a simple chart or way to figure out how high you should be off the ground to maintain LOS when the Mavic is X number of miles out? (curvature of the Earth, trees, etc.) I've thought about rigging up some type of deer stand type thing to get off the ground a bit.

Wait:
I found this calculator actually, just add the height of houses, trees, whatever. At 3 miles the curvature is about 6 feet, and 5 miles 16.
Earth Curvature Calculator - Calculate the curve you should see

Well I tend to follow the Flat Earth theory! At 6 miles the curvature of the earth less likely to have an impact version the ground and terrain getting in the way.

I think it's a minimal worry.

Well I tend to follow the Flat Earth theory! At 6 miles the curvature of the earth less likely to have an impact version the ground and terrain getting in the way.

I think it's a minimal worry.

Right... trees, houses, other obstacles are probably far more degrading to your signal. And certainly radio interference, since everything seems to operate on the 2.4GHz spectrum these days... I can fly fine in one direction (west) from out of my back yard, did over 19,000ft and battery was my limitation, but launching from the same spot heading north, south or east once I hit the 2 mile marker I'm done on signal range, unless I climb crazy high, which then the battery life meter shrinks and ends the flight anyway.

@JakeMaxxUAV
43,343ft
Battery Mod

Not optimal conditions and not willing to gamble it over water but a new personal best for me none the less. Went out with a slight headwind but I could tell it was taking a hit on the battery as compared to previous flights in perfect dead wind. Modulating the throttle on the return was key I think. I stayed around 75% / 40mph to make it back and land with 18%.

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

LzQ958v.jpg

@JakeMaxxUAV
43,343ft
Battery Mod

Not optimal conditions and not willing to gamble it over water but a new personal best for me none the less. Went out with a slight headwind but I could tell it was taking a hit on the battery as compared to previous flights in perfect dead wind. Modulating the throttle on the return was key I think. I stayed around 75% / 40mph to make it back and land with 18%.

LzQ958v.jpg

Will you share what batteries you used on this flight? Also Stock remote?

Reactions: digdat0
@JakeMaxxUAV
43,343ft
Battery Mod

LzQ958v.jpg
nice one ed209! thats easily a 47/48k battery combo, nice! and thats over water too huh .. i dont have the nerve to do water anymore! i modded my other mavic today, need batteries now!

Will you share what batteries you used on this flight? Also Stock remote?
Sure, 2x brand new MS 4.0 LiHV. Stock remote... No cruise control rubber bands or anything. Full manual stick control with no assistance. Makes for a fun endurance flight :) The stock radio is unbelievable. 8.2 miles out at 78ft over the water. Only reason why I went up in altitude was to clear any rouge sailboats and to catch a nice ride with the wind on the way back.

nice one ed209! thats easily a 47/48k battery combo, nice! and thats over water too huh .. i dont have the nerve to do water anymore! i modded my other mavic today, need batteries now!
Thanks Dig. Yeah this combo would easily go the distance in prime conditions. It's tough in my area to get those conditions and my schedule to align. I'm always taking calculated risks over water. Whereas over land I have no problem putting it all on red and sometimes turning up a mile short ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: digdat0
everything went smooth on the autoland TLS? no hiccups, do you have any of your perameters changed?
try a 5.2 & 3.0 under the belly or 3.0 on top and 5.2 underneath

Thanks bro...

Here's my proof of everything with video from this morning...
Pound for Pound - Dollar for Dollar = Best all around drone i've ever flown.
@JakeMaxxUAV

I seen your videos pretty cool I was interested in a directional antenna I wonder if it's possible to have a directional antenna that moves to the direction of the drone is located ?? I've been trying to look on the Internet but I can't find any system for a Mavic

This is not mine but it flew 20101 feet .... 6127 meters .....

Hi cool video
I was interested in a directional antenna I wonder if it's possible to have a directional antenna that moves to the direction of the drone is located ?? I've been trying to look on the Internet but I can't find any system for a Mavic

Hmmm, what would that prove? The whole idea is to get there and back, I am sure it will get out the 4 miles but if you don't have the battery to get back it is a moot point. That 4.3 was over water, you could get the same over flat land, but you still need to get home. I never fly that far out, about a mile max, I am more concerned about signal strength in small valleys and thru trees.
Hi there
I'm in the same boat that you are I'm trying to find some kind of solution I was interested in a directional antenna I wonder if it's possible to have a directional antenna that moves to the direction of the drone is located ?? I've been trying to look on the Internet but I can't find any system for a Mavic

everything went smooth on the autoland TLS? no hiccups, do you have any of your perameters changed?
try a 5.2 & 3.0 under the belly or 3.0 on top and 5.2 underneath

Yeah DB, ZERO Autoland actually. I didn't even think about it. But I didn't get any warnings at all. No critical battery or autoland anything. I was sweating bullets though as I made the last 1,000'!

When I finally out it down the battery was off. It was just running on the external.

That same flight when I started it was charging the battery so I had to do three "up and downs" to get the battery to stay on. Once I did I just said "F It". Even though I knew it wasn't ideal. And the wind was blowing 7mph into my face. I elected to go up to 400' to see if it was better and it was.

I got a steady push back, and did the gradual approach on the descent. I found this is the best way on my Phantoms and this is my first time trying this on my Mavic. I went 32mph into the wind, and gradually climbed to 350'+ on the way out and descended the same on the way back.

I'm pretty proud of this flight. I feel like I could beat the record.

I want to try two 5.2's or I have thought about a 5.2 and a 4.0? Just wasn't sure if that's possible.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
piggybank292003