DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic Pro Range Leaderboard!

Same dual 4000s. Bought a new set of 8330 props (old syle). The new props don't work well with heavy load. Almost lost drone yesterday flying with new propellers and dual 4000s. My motors overheated and it started spinning over the bay. Spun around all the way home in RTH mode. Made it home somehow with 1% battery.
With " new props" you refer to the platinum version?

I would love to know his "secret" flight locations. I bought another mavic to do just what you described (the mavic I listed prior is strictly for my home base with surrounding forest of trees). I am seriously doing this for my next vacation and would love to know some of these test site locales.

I have the same issue as you bean and i've been thinking the same thing! I'm not in the best location for this hobby either....where we goin? what about the salt flats in utah! where i was flying If i have to land halfway through my run the mavs pretty much gone in dense forest. I may as well be flying over water..

It's no secret. The Phantom 3 record holder (17 miles out) also flies there. It's lake Okeechobee in Florida. There's a raised path right next to the lake that they fly over and it is really the best place you could ever fly a drone. If they can't make it back, they simply land on the path and go out and get it.

when did 17miles happen?

Got up at 5am this morning to catch a tailwind both ways. 30km/h out and 5km/h back low down. Would have been an amazing flight, but DJI said no. I've been on .900 the whole time and never an issue, but today my usual spot became a NFZ.

While the winds changed for the worse, I was busy switching to .700 and patching 4.1.9. Determined to at least do some testing I went out in horrible conditions to test various speeds, and moving the RC downrange. Landed 8k short where the road conveniently intersects the flight path.

58NNiBj.png

puMcGlv.png
Lolo If my math is correct that is 59549 ft. which is past the 58800ft everyone is having a problem with.

Same dual 4000s. Bought a new set of 8330 props (old syle). The new props don't work well with heavy load. Almost lost drone yesterday flying with new propellers and dual 4000s. My motors overheated and it started spinning over the bay. Spun around all the way home in RTH mode. Made it home somehow with 1% battery.
that is a good note about the new props I have a set on backorder.

No, that's the same limit. 58,800. RC radio service restarts at that point. Problem was I was not able to reconnect after. I think it's this 2.57GHz config file that caused the problem. The boost works great, but I also tweaked frequency. Had solid 3 bars on RC and HD feed until that firmware limit hit.
CyerNate if you move the RC in the direction of the drone said 1/2 mile it with like you fly another 2640 ft?

Another run at the limit today. Had a perfect flight going until I tried to take a screenshot at the turn. Instead of screenshot I turned off my tablet and then it would not reconnect. I think it's because of the Boost hack I'm using which also changed my frequency to 2.57GHz. The radio got messed up as I also restarted Go app. Took me 5-10 minutes to get the connection working and then I lost too much ground to get back. I will get that record run yet! Almost zero wind today.

View attachment 23084

I stopped doing screen shots and went to screen recording. A few times my Go app has failed to save the flight record as well.

Moving the RC closer avoids the distance limit.

Last edited:
I stopped doing screen shots and went to screen recording. A few times my Go app has failed to save the flight record as well.

Moving the RC closer avoids the distance limit.

Well I've tried using the IOS 11 screen recording, but it makes my feed so choppy and often turns off or doesn't save correctly. Hopefully it will be more stable in future updates.

I have the same issue as you bean and i've been thinking the same thing! I'm not in the best location for this hobby either....where we goin? what about the salt flats in utah! where i was flying If i have to land halfway through my run the mavs pretty much gone in dense forest. I may as well be flying over water..

Salt flats were on my mind too. I remember there is somewhere in the southwest that the hot air balloon folks frequent. There is a spot in a canyon with reliable wind currents in opposite directions at different altitudes. That sound like fun to me to ride a tail wind out and back.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54