DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic Pro Range Leaderboard!

58NNiBj.png

RC only 12km away but the home point distance is correct.

58NNiBj.png

So you started out and then moved you and your controller 19,000 feet forward? And that's with android ,if you were using iOS it would've still stopped at the max cut off distance?

58NNiBj.png

This is all interesting because it's research in figuring out the ins and outs of this hard distance limit and what it would take to overcome it.
But let's be perfectly honest, if you start out at one Home point and then have to move your controller forward towards the aircraft, you're really not setting any distance record at all.
The thing that made the PIII record so amazing was not only that it had batteries that could get there and back, but also the fact that the controller signal was strong enough at 74,000 feet. If we have to follow our AC in a car or boat, yes we had great batteries but we didn't accomplish much.
But I do understand this flight was simply for testing[emoji108]

Last edited by a moderator:
You better get some bigger batteries son, he wasn't making it back from that trip anyway[emoji41]@%40
You'd be surprised. He has turned at 38% and made it home. Those thunder power batteries have high resistance, so you have to run voltage really low to get the power out of them. 50% remaining is more like 70%. Personally I hate flying batteries with high resistance, but will try them anyway. They are on sale right now for 50% off. All thunder power batteries 50% off with code BF2017 .

Reactions: digdat0
Yeah that's what I never liked about them TP's , you can only run on zero so long though, even if your TP's still have juice.
Off Mavic topic, when I was testing those Proteks on the p3, the ending cell numbers were actually lower than the main battery.
Don't know if that's attested to their low IR the company boasts about, but out of the 50 different battery brands I've tried out through the years, I've never had the externals be that much lower (.05)than the main.

Yeah that's what I never liked about them TP's , you can only run on zero so long though, even if your TP's still have juice.
Off Mavic topic, when I was testing those Proteks on the p3, the ending cell numbers were actually lower than the main battery.
Don't know if that's attested to their low IR the company boasts about, but out of the 50 different battery brands I've tried out through the years, I've never had the externals be that much lower (.05)than the main.

If you have propeller that can turn a bit slower with load, you can run voltage down farther. Low voltage lowers the max RPM you have available. That's one nice thing about the Platinum props as Mavic flies perfectly even under 3v per cell, but they are actually too high pitched for load. I'm hoping the CF props are somewhere in the middle. Working on moving arms out enough to fit them on the rear without cutting top shell.

Hello guys, i'm just coming here to report you my tests.
I plugged a second original mavic battery to my drone in parallel and circled front of me during 29 minutes, the flight data said i did 14.297km which is 45931ft distance of flight.
Here is the video:

Of course we are not playing in the same category. I'm playing in the "10$ mod category" LOOOL
Cheers !

My thinking is that a drone should mimic flying as if I were there sitting inside it. I would want to see where I'm going and be able to navigate visually around obstacles. Taking away the camera is taking away what makes a drone a drone. Without a camera what's the point? It's an automated boomerang that I see leave and come back.

The other reason for my rationale is that the other leaderboards have already set a precidance n what should be allowed.

I won't do any significant weight modding as it's not my preference, but I'm fine with you guys doing it. I'm excited to see how far this thing can fly and believe that with the serious modding you guys are doing the phantom record can be beat.

Like most of the members here, you make a great point and position.

I have been thinking a lot about this, and we may have to start a new thread with pre-defined rules and probably 3 categories (at least). There is so much history in this thread, and we have proven that nobody can come to agreement, and this is too much to place on Jake's shoulders. Last time I mentioned something like this I was censored by the moderators and I still do not know why, but they are awesome moderators and they do a fantastic job and I appreciate all they do for us.

These might be potential candidates for new leaderboard classes after hearing all the feedback from everyone...

***Pure Stock Class
This class is 100% stock hardware and 100% factory default software settings for either the Mavic Pro or Mavic Platinum. The Mavic is used together with a factory Mavic remote controller.

***Stock Aircraft Class
This class is 100% stock aircraft hardware only. No restrictions on software settings for either the Mavic Pro or Mavic Platinum. The Mavic is used together with a Mavic remote controller (modified or not).

***Modified Standard Class
This class restricts Mavic weight reduction methods but allows for any non factory additions. If you remove a factory part, it must be replaced with a functional alternative for either the Mavic Pro or Mavic Platinum. The Mavic is used together with a Mavic remote controller (modified or not).

***Modified Unlimited Class
The only requirement in this class is that the 2 main system boards (for either the Mavic Pro or Mavic Platinum) are used together with a Mavic remote controller (modified or not).

Reactions: cderoche and angusc
Are there people competing with stock hardware and software?

Would Stock Aircraft allow Platinum props? Platinum ESC upgrades should be allowed if they both compete in the same class. How about having Stock Aircraft and Stock Battery classes. Stock Battery would be anything goes as long as it's powered by the DJI battery, has the two factory boards and a DJI mid frame. 9x3 props ok, modifed bodywork etc.

Modified Standard, when you say functional alternative, do you mean a DJI part? Or could you replace the upper shell with a carbon skin for example? Swap fan for a cooling duct? I run carbon front landing gear, does that count as equivalent? I think Modified Standard should encompass the average battery mod aircraft that retains the look and feel of a Mavic.

Modified Unlimited you could say that no additional ESCs can be added, and circuit boards cannot be modded. With open ended rules one could tap the PWM signals to the ESC, drop in 4 large ESCs and power an unlimited sized quad off the Mavic boards on as many battery cells as you wanted.

Reactions: amstar
If you care to read through the other two leaderboard's Jake set up you'll see it was long discussions on many different listing options, and it was decided that the simpler the better. Three and four lists everyone thought was just to muddled.
That's why it was decided that stock means stock and modified was anything you wanted to do as long as it's a P3/4 with some sort of camera.
That's not a lot on Jake shoulders, that's pretty simple.

That being said, you are welcome to start your own leaderboard thread and it will catch on just like this one did, and I'm sure we will all post there and follow.
There's no rule against that, as long as you're willing to keep up on the editing

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: digdat0
Right next to the individual cell voltages it shows 12.8 total battery voltage. It should be reading closer to 11.22V. I don't think its a big deal i was just wondering why it isn't showing the correct value...

The app crashed with the ipad overheating and it took a little while before things were looking wonky on it, maybe that's why, not sure. I had an external pack on top also but by that point both batteries would have been pretty depleted. The screen recorder also stopped during the ipad partial shut down and I forgot to restart it. I'll pay attention next time more to that total voltage readout, I got used to just looking at the individual cells, usually the total is correct for me though.

Edit:
Now that I think about it more, the LiHV packs charge up to 4.35v per cell = 13.05v, so maybe the extra pack was messing with the total. I'll look closer next time.

Last edited:
Wow those things are huge compared to the stock props. Bet they turn some low RPMs on the motors....

No, they are somewhere between the original Mavic Pro props and Platinum. The pitch is less than the platinum props, but the length is more. These propellers should be good for heavier loads.

Reactions: cderoche
Are there people competing with stock hardware and software?

Would Stock Aircraft allow Platinum props? Platinum ESC upgrades should be allowed if they both compete in the same class. How about having Stock Aircraft and Stock Battery classes. Stock Battery would be anything goes as long as it's powered by the DJI battery, has the two factory boards and a DJI mid frame. 9x3 props ok, modifed bodywork etc.

Modified Standard, when you say functional alternative, do you mean a DJI part? Or could you replace the upper shell with a carbon skin for example? Swap fan for a cooling duct? I run carbon front landing gear, does that count as equivalent? I think Modified Standard should encompass the average battery mod aircraft that retains the look and feel of a Mavic.

Modified Unlimited you could say that no additional ESCs can be added, and circuit boards cannot be modded. With open ended rules one could tap the PWM signals to the ESC, drop in 4 large ESCs and power an unlimited sized quad off the Mavic boards on as many battery cells as you wanted.
Lolo, you just proved my point that this is probably a foolish effort to try and satisfy every possible scenario. You make great points, several others make great points, none of us will ever agree by committee. I guess one of us could start a new board and just put out the rules, but as @mubytrid stated, someone would have to manage it and make the commitment. And by the time we get it running, the next mavic replacement bird will be here and none of us will care anymore :)

I hope some of the leaders here will make an effort to make the next generation leaderboard a little more structured and well thought out in advance. This conversation won't be lost or forgotten and is worth the effort to explore.

If you care to read through the other two leaderboard's Jake set up you'll see it was long discussions on many different listing options, and it was decided that the simpler the better. Three and four lists everyone thought was just to muddled.
That's why it was decided that stock means stock and modified was anything you wanted to do as long as it's a P3/4 with some sort of camera.
That's not a lot on Jake shoulders, that's pretty simple.

That being said, you are welcome to start your own leaderboard thread and it will catch on just like this one did, and I'm sure we will all post there and follow.
There's no rule against that, as long as you're willing to keep up on the editing
@mubytrid, short of creating a new board, I summarily agree with you and this is very close to my original proposal. But there is still debate that modified has exceptions and someone has to make the call if 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 cameras constitutes having a "camera" on the mavic depending which way it points. Slippery slope...

@mubytrid, short of creating a new board, I summarily agree with you and this is very close to my original proposal. But there is still debate that modified has exceptions and someone has to make the call if 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 cameras constitutes having a "camera" on the mavic depending which way it points. Slippery slope...

What would be the ruling if I re-routed one of the forward facing cameras to the main board bypassing the main gimbal/camera? Is this a "valid" drone camera? Stock means stock and modified means modified IMHO. Without complex rules and procedures, I can't think of a way to properly manages this. I hope there is someone smarter than I that can put a Swiss mediation plan on us :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Igwe3