DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Out the box Mavic pro uncontrollable crash

Reactions
Hey guys, I hope im dealing with a product fault but want to exhaust all eventualities first.

I bought my Mavic, charged it and went outside. It didnt request I calibrate it but I went through all the calibrations ((compass, IMU, controller and even gimble for good measure) and did so on a level aluminium and glass table ensuring with a compass there was nothing to interfere around whilst doing so (can you tell im nervous )). I ensured thenprops were on correctly and the arms were out properly and plopped it down in our level field on the pop up landing pad. I had a dry run practice in beginners mode, assured I had good satellite and no warnings, I pointed it away from the sun to stop it being dazzled by the low light and then used CSC to get the props spooling then used auto take off. The drone attempted to reach hovering height but instead took off down the field onto the road and slid to a stop after causing a few scuffs, smashing props and denting the forward looking camera casing.

I tried a manual takeoff and it had the same effect, tried resetting everything, now using the second pair of props and still no luck.

It refuses to hover and tends to spin uncontrollably before toppling and flying wildly onto the ground.

I cant imagine any setting or calibration would allow it to consistantly do this and I have followed both a how to video guide as well as DJI’s quick start guide to getting it up and running.

Its not functional by any sense currently. Just wondering if im doing wrong.

Im sorry, im a little bit of a newbie but I have researched this the best I can and tried to best enable myself to safely use the Mavic. I would really appreciate any similar experiances, advice or guidance.

Thanks guys :)

Please post your flight logs so we can take a look at them.

You can find instructions for retrieving your TXT flight log here. Either attach the TXT file here or upload it to my log viewer and post the link back here.

Also, upload your DAT flight log to dropbox.com and post a link back here. It'll contain additional details that'll explain what happened. If needed, you can find instructions for retrieving the DAT file here.

Maybe the aluminum table affected your instruments calibration?

Are you sure you weren't in Fixed Wing mode?

That sounds like a compass problem but, as mentioned above by @msinger, the DAT file from the aircraft will provide definitive data. The flight txt log will only be of limited use for diagnosis if it is a compass problem since it does not contain the raw magnetometer data.

Your test with a compass sounds thorough, but are you sure that table is really aluminum?

Right so thanks so far, I have spoken to Mavic who advise I try and get a swap from where I bought it. Failing that send it in and they will have a look.

That sounds like a compass problem but, as mentioned above by @msinger, the DAT file from the aircraft will provide definitive data. The flight txt log will only be of limited use for diagnosis if it is a compass problem since it does not contain the raw magnetometer data.

Your test with a compass sounds thorough, but are you sure that table is really aluminum?

Thankyou, I couldnt be 100% but I know it wasnt magnetic enough to influence a compass excapt for the corners where it was bolted together (corners I avoided when calibrating).

Reactions: VJRice
there are a few of these files, I have sent you the biggest haha.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-12-05_[12-48-25].txt
    12.1 KB · Views: 7
Hey guys, no idea what was wrong but I have managed to get sent a new mavic, great news :).
If anyone can shed light on this issue though that would be great. I really want to make sure this has no huge user error aspect I have overlooked.

You watched some videos and read the quick start guide!!!
In a way the huge wait that I and others who ordered our drones in October 2016 had to endure at least gave us chance to READ THE MANUAL, many times. You only need to calibrate the drone when it asks for it. A bad calibration is just going to put you in a world of pain, as you are discovering!

Reactions: Flycaster
Hey guys, no idea what was wrong but I have managed to get sent a new mavic, great news :).
If anyone can shed light on this issue though that would be great. I really want to make sure this has no huge user error aspect I have overlooked.

Right - but you are going to have to find a flight log that shows this behavior - preferably a DAT file from the aircraft. The two txt files that you have posted so far do not include useful information.

In the twelve months I have had my Mavic I have NEVER randomly done a compass and IMU configuration .....

Without the data files from your crashed Mavic it's impossible to know why it happened but you need to read the Mavic user guide and follow the advice within it and you should be just fine.

Taking off from anything with metal in it can affect the compass so look for a suitable take off location.

Happy flying.

In the twelve months I have had my Mavic I have NEVER randomly done a compass and IMU configuration ......
Ditto.
Flew out of the box, flown in many places between UK and the southern tip of Italy ... never done one ... never been needed.
I still think more problems occur from doing them and them not being quite correct.
Same on the P2 after 3 years.

Reactions: Flycaster
Righto, sorry its all I have, it literally lasts less than 5 seconds in the air before going wild.
Il bare that in mind and not calibrate unless prompted to with the replacement.

Im on shift at the minute but I will endevour to find a dat file if available. Id love to know if this is my fault or not.

In fairness I only calibrated it on the table as it had a glass top which I could check was level. I thought it was anything magetic that would effect it.
If I do need to recalibrate the next one I will do it differently.

Thanks for the help guys :).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omni_Aerial