DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Overcoming Flight Jitters

johnbuyer1

Reactions
Maybe one of you can point me to resources that might provide a learning path for the Mavic. I feel like I need a tutorial of sorts, one that suggests things to try on your first, second, nth trips.

Why? Well, I unboxed it, read much of the manual, and got genuinely spooked with the possibility of losing it on flight one. Maybe not a realistic risk, but real enough to me. The manual had enough lawyerly hedge language to give the impression one could maybe even start a forest fire with this thing (okay that was an extreme example, but I hope you know what I mean)

Then I read clips like this elsewhere on this:

"The fly away I'll chuck it to operator error. I used Litchi and somewhere through my flight plan it just decided to fly the coop. I let it go believing it would return and lost all visual feed and then gone. I got an app error and should of paused it, flip the sport mode switch and fly it back, but didn't. "

I'm thinking, "I wouldn't have the first clue what to do. Flip what?". And that spooks me a bit more.

Any help with the jitters much appreciated. JohnV

Maybe one of you can point me to resources that might provide a learning path for the Mavic. I feel like I need a tutorial of sorts, one that suggests things to try on your first, second, nth trips.

Why? Well, I unboxed it, read much of the manual, and got genuinely spooked with the possibility of losing it on flight one. Maybe not a realistic risk, but real enough to me. The manual had enough lawyerly hedge language to give the impression one could maybe even start a forest fire with this thing (okay that was an extreme example, but I hope you know what I mean)

Then I read clips like this elsewhere on this:

"The fly away I'll chuck it to operator error. I used Litchi and somewhere through my flight plan it just decided to fly the coop. I let it go believing it would return and lost all visual feed and then gone. I got an app error and should of paused it, flip the sport mode switch and fly it back, but didn't. "

I'm thinking, "I wouldn't have the first clue what to do. Flip what?". And that spooks me a bit more.

Any help with the jitters much appreciated. JohnV
Here is a link to a thread that has a link to a blog where much of your concern is addressed.
6 Part Mavic Pro Handbook

If this thread grows, with many post - the end result of all of the discussions here will simply be, "Just get out and fly it as often as possible!" You will quickly learn just how stable the Mavic is... But you won't learn anything about it if you don't fly. Enjoy it. It's a brilliant little craft. Now stop reading this, get outside - and FLY!

Read the manual, and do some small flights in an open area. Your confidence will grow quickly. If possible find someone else in your area with a Mavic or Phantom and meet up with them, for some pointers and inspiration.

As for losing it, that is a very, very low probability, unless you are flying long distances, beyond line of sight (BLOS).

The magic switch, that is often referred to, is the SPORT MODE switch. It is on the right side of the controller. Flip it up into sport mode, and it cancels all previous autonomous commands and modes. Then when you flip it back down it goes back into NORMAL flight mode.

It can be a saver in situations where a command, or autonomous mode isn't going as planned, and you need to take immediate control of the drone.

You'll just have to get out there and fly. The Mavic is extremely stable. Watch your orientation of your craft. Stay above obstacles if you cannot find an open field. Plus get used to the DJI GO4 app. There's a lot of menus. Oh watch a lot of YouTube videos in your spare time.

Good advice re confidence will grow fast, just don't let it grow too fast !! :)

I did my first flight in an open grassed sports area, no people around, put the drone in Beginner Mode . . . read up on the online manual (can ANYONE actually read ANY of the little DJI booklets ??!! Lol).

Youtube has heaps of mavic first flight advice videos, just Google > dji mavic first flight advice < :D
Here's one that I watched (among a dozen or so others !) which I found very helpful . . .

If experience is limited with quads, the simulators are good places to get your feet wet. Whether it be the simulator in the DJI app or something like Real Flight Drone stimulator, they can help familiarize you with controls and situations. Nothing will eliminate the angst of the first real flight though so just go for it once you feel ready. Using common sense will help avoid the things you fear.

I have been flying over a year now and I still get the "jitters" every time I fly! I think you need this healthy fear to keep you on your toes when you are flying.

Reactions: Mike357
Agreed! Becoming complacent with any aircraft (or surface model too!) can/will lead to a crash, or worse, personal injury/property damage.

Watch every vid you can, and go slooow. You will be rewarded with a great aircraft, and great fun.

After 30 years RC experience, and 5 years with drones, my heartrate still goes up, each and EVERY time I launch. Guess I'm not rich enough to be passe.

Its a big, wide sky, but Beginner Mode is your friend :)
Start slowly and keep the bird in sight until you gain confidence and understand ALL of the controls, functions, modes and screens. I go back to YouTube over and over if I don't understand a feature, how a flight mode works or if I get a result other than what I expected.
I was borderline rude when approached by people while flying the first few times. I've learned to politely say "give me a few minutes and I'll answer any questions you have." Distracted flying is baaad for your bird.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_