DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Overwater

kc007

Reactions
It's it required to disable the downward vision settings if your planning over water flights? I have read conflicting stories.
I am on the most recent firmware update as of June 25, 2017

I don't fly low, but there is so much conflicting information on different versions of the firmware. Thank you.

It's it required to disable the downward vision settings if your planning over water flights?
While it's not required, I think it's a great idea to disable the downward sensors (VPS) when flying close to the surface of the water. It's also a good idea to make sure you can clearly see the Mavic with your eyes so you can make immediate adjustments (if needed) to prevent the Mavic from crashing into the surface of the water.

When not flying close to the surface of the water, you'll want to keep an eye on your altitude to ensure the Mavic does not auto switch to forced landing mode. With VPS and the Landing Protection settings enabled, the Mavic will switch to forced landing mode if the throttle is in the full down position and the downward sensors are detecting the ground is near (which could happen if light is reflected off the surface of the water). If you want to eliminate this possibility, then either disable Landing Protection or don't move the throttle to the full down position while flying over water.

While it's not required, I think it's a great idea to disable the downward sensors (VPS) when flying close to the surface of the water. It's also a good idea to make sure you can clearly see the Mavic with your eyes so you can make immediate adjustments (if needed) to prevent the Mavic from crashing into the surface of the water.

When not flying close to the surface of the water, you'll want to keep an eye on your altitude to ensure the Mavic does not auto switch to forced landing mode. With VPS and the Landing Protection settings enabled, the Mavic will switch to forced landing mode if the throttle is in the full down position and the downward sensors are detecting the ground is near (which could happen if light is reflected off the surface of the water). If you want to eliminate this possibility, then either disable Landing Protection or don't move the throttle to the full down position while flying over water.
Very good advice!

Over water you want to be able to take full control yourself, all the time.

Thank you for the time spent on the detailed explanation for a new guy!
I really appreciate it!

I thought "Disable Landing Protection" was the favored answer with this?

I thought "Disable Landing Protection" was the favored answer with this?
It is if you aren't going to monitor the altitude during your flight and/or cannot refrain yourself from holding the throttle in the full down position when flying over water.

Reactions: Techstar
271a16f91a2183cb8c06e22ea69c258a.jpg

46424568c6e664f267a25576f2a4811b.jpg

Here is my conversation with DJI Support on Twitter on this very topic. Hope it helps.

This is a great explanation. Thank you. I posted a conversation I had with DJI Support on this topic. Your answer is much clearer. I'm a newbie with drones and I'm very nervous about flying over water.

Last time I disabled the VPS my Mavic slammed into the ground when landing.

Last time I disabled the VPS my Mavic slammed into the ground when landing.
With VPS disabled, you'll have full control until your Mavic lands. That means you'll need to ease off the throttle so it lands gently.

Was flying over the river today for about an hour last battery and I got a warning for "downward vision sensor calibration needed, go to DJI assistant to calibrate downward vision sensors".
It was not acting erratically or anything and I almost always leave on my sensors when I'm over water. Never had an issue with before. Oceans, rivers, lakes, ponds all good. I've got it within a couple of feet of the water and still no problems.
I brought it in and packed up and came home. Charged everything and took it out in the field for about a full battery and no warning anymore.
Could it be the downward vision sensors were flying over water for so long that it confused them and finally gave me a warning but then when I flew over land the warning was gone.
Is it possible they reset after flying over solid ground?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ralph.smith.mckenzie@gmai