DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 licensing issue

usrmesarge

Reactions
I have been studying for part 107 but can't read map colors being semi color blind (reds green blues). I feel that this requirement is discriminator against people who are color blind. Are there others out here who have the same problem?

That does sound like an issue, especially more so, since even thousands of non107 pilots use maps such as Sectionals on almost a daily basis. Have you made contact with the FAA.gov? What about emergency messages? I do NOT want to sound discouraging, but many warnings will appear red. Have you contacted DJI for assistance? Have you contacted FAA.gov for help as well?
You are not alone, Color Blindness

I have the same color issue when reading the rings on the sectional charts. I have not contacted the FAA for help.

Reactions: Mac282
Just a thought...consider contacting your local testing facility and speak to the testing administrator. They may be able to provide some insight based on others who have faced similar issues.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Good idea, I’ll give it a shot!

I have been studying for part 107 but can't read map colors being semi color blind (reds green blues). I feel that this requirement is discriminator against people who are color blind. Are there others out here who have the same problem?
With all due respect, how is expecting you to be able to read the sectional (which is color coded and the colors are not that drastically different) discriminating? It's a matter of fact that sectionals have various colors that depict pertinent information and not discriminating.

I'm sure you're not the first person to have this issue with Part 107 (you can't hold a Private Pilots License, or used to couldn't because it could be life threatening) so I'd say reach out to the FAA directly for some legal guidance:
[email protected]

Please let us know the reply as many others could learn from it.

Allen

Reactions: zeusfl and Thomas B
Color blindness is not considered a disability by the ADA so I think it would be a heavy lift to prove it discrimatory.

Reactions: Thomas B
Still not right. We should have the same opportunity to fly. As someone has said, even the DJI App warning notices are in red which I can't see. So I just fly without being able to read warnings. As I now do.

That does sound like an issue, especially more so, since even thousands of non107 pilots use maps such as Sectionals on almost a daily basis. Have you made contact with the FAA.gov? What about emergency messages? I do NOT want to sound discouraging, but many warnings will appear red. Have you contacted DJI for assistance? Have you contacted FAA.gov for help as well?
You are not alone, Color Blindness
Have contacted both FAA and DJI fly support. Pending 2nd email from both. Only DJI Fly ask for screen shots of red warning but I cant see red? Anyone able to email me a screenshot of the red warnings within the DJI fly app is appreciated.

Here's a thought: If traffic lights were not three separate lenses, instead being only one lens, is it safe for someone to drive through an intersection not knowing if cross traffic is stopped? What if they ran into you?
Would you be comfortable if you were on a passenger train where the engineer was color blind and couldn't tell the difference between red and green?
Or is your philosophy "Throw caution to the wind. As long as *I'm* not hurt, it's OK to take chances."?
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt.

• Sad
Reactions: theDRONEranger
Traffic lights are set in the order of lights, thats how I colorblind folks can tell they are red, trained eye it's obvious you' not colorblind or you would know. Additionally singular colors are somewhat easier to guess, when there are several colors together is where the problem comes to play.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter whether I'm color blind or not.
Look closely at what I wrote:
"If traffic lights were not three separate lenses, instead being only one lens,..".
In a previous job, I tested railroad engineers and conductors for whether or not they could tell the difference between red, yellow and green. On single-lens and multiple-lens signals.
Guessing the color of a signal is a matter of life or death, so it is not an option.
And yes, I did come across at least one person who thought they could "guess" the color from the perceive "brightness" of the lamp. And they were wrong.
About seven years ago I read where an engineer went by yellow and red signals because he couldn't tell the difference from "guessing", and ran into another train killing himself and two other people.
So, just because you want to have fun, and feel sorry for yourself, you think safety is not important and should be ignored.
Wrong forum for that. Be responsible.

Doesn't matter whether I'm color blind or not.
Look closely at what I wrote:
"If traffic lights were not three separate lenses, instead being only one lens,..".
In a previous job, I tested railroad engineers and conductors for whether or not they could tell the difference between red, yellow and green. On single-lens and multiple-lens signals.
Guessing the color of a signal is a matter of life or death, so it is not an option.
And yes, I did come across at least one person who thought they could "guess" the color from the perceive "brightness" of the lamp. And they were wrong.
About seven years ago I read where an engineer went by yellow and red signals because he couldn't tell the difference from "guessing", and ran into another train killing himself and two other people.
So, just because you want to have fun, and feel sorry for yourself, you think safety is not important and should be ignored.
Wrong forum for that. Be responsible.
So IYO we shouldnt have DL as well.

Not sure if this could assist you or not, but . . .

I understand your plight, I can sympathize, but unfortunately I cannot empathize. So, I have only suggestions that may(not) help. I hope that there is a solution to be had. This is subject I personally have never considered for the end user within the drone industry. I would also recommend contacting DJI as they very well may have a workable solution on-hand already. And if not, you may well be a candidate for future testing of prototypes.

It is unfortunate the ADA does NOT recognize colorblindness as a disability. Again, perhaps the DJI route may provide some relief. I wish you the best, knowing you are seeking input that you may be the safest pilot you know. Please do keep us advised of advancements.

R,
Jeffrey

Not sure if this could assist you or not, but . . .

I understand your plight, I can sympathize, but unfortunately I cannot empathize. So, I have only suggestions that may(not) help. I hope that there is a solution to be had. This is subject I personally have never considered for the end user within the drone industry. I would also recommend contacting DJI as they very well may have a workable solution on-hand already. And if not, you may well be a candidate for future testing of prototypes.

It is unfortunate the ADA does NOT recognize colorblindness as a disability. Again, perhaps the DJI route may provide some relief. I wish you the best, knowing you are seeking input that you may be the safest pilot you know. Please do keep us advised of advancements.

R,
Jeffrey
Thanks R Jeffrey you are the only person that hasnt tried to attack my situation and give well recieved advice. Your answer is what I been looking for.

The ADA DOES recognize color blindness as a disability.

Is Color Blindness Covered Under the ADA? In the United States, colorblindness is considered a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). This means you are required to provide reasonable arrangements for users who are color-blind. There are penalties for websites that do not comply with the ADA.May 12, 2023

A Guide to Making Your Website Accessible for Color-Blind ..​

The ADA DOES recognize color blindness as a disability.

Is Color Blindness Covered Under the ADA? In the United States, colorblindness is considered a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). This means you are required to provide reasonable arrangements for users who are color-blind. There are penalties for websites that do not comply with the ADA.May 12, 2023

A Guide to Making Your Website Accessible for Color-Blind ..

First off, @The DroneZone WELCOME to the forum from a "neighbor" also in NC.

Here's my question:

Let's assume there is some kind of "allowance" made so someone who is color-blind is able to pass the Part 107 test, how in the world can this person operate within the rest of the Aviation realm safely going forward? If someone can't pass the test on the sectional due to color-blindness how does that work outside of the "sterile" environment of the testing center? Real World how is that going to work?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne