DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Passed my 107 Test! But now I have questions!

mavic14

Reactions
Hey all,

I just passed my 107 test after procrastinating for close to 5 months! Big thanks to everyone that's posted tips and study guides online to help me study!

Now that I have my license I'd like to start doing realtor videos for local houses. The only issue is that where I'm located (Boston, MA) is littered with airports. There are almost no places that are free of any airspace. What are the steps that I need to take to take footage commercially for houses in the city and the suburbs that lie within 5 mile radius of airports?

Is it true that I'll have to submit a permit 90 days ahead of time for each and every shoot I'm hoping to do? If so-- how are all these other aerial companies able to film what seems to be whenever they want?

What are the current laws? I know it used to be just call the tower but I've realized that's changed.

Thanks and happy flying!

So since you have passed the Part 107 you must know how to read FAA sectional charts. For commercial flights you can fly anywhere that is not in controlled airspace. Distance to airports is not a factor for Part 107 flights. If your flight location is within controlled airspace you would need to request authorization via the FAA website here.

Thanks, is there a good way to check just where there is controlled airspace? Does this mean that I can fly near most airports, just not major ones? I can't find a good place to just show where I can't fly commercially without prior authorization with my part 107. Thanks in advance

If anyone can show me where I can legally fly and use footage commercially in the Boston area. This is the map I'm looking at now and it's not looking like there are too many places :/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 8.25.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 8.25.29 PM.png
    555.6 KB · Views: 28
Thanks. I'm hoping to fly some downtown, but would also like to fly a little north of the city in Nahant, MA, but also kind of throughout MA

Thanks, is there a good way to check just where there is controlled airspace? Does this mean that I can fly near most airports, just not major ones? I can't find a good place to just show where I can't fly commercially without prior authorization with my part 107. Thanks in advance

You can't fly in B,C,D or E airspace without authorization. You can find sectional charts on line.....here's a good site SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts

Thanks. I'm hoping to fly some downtown, but would also like to fly a little north of the city in Nahant, MA, but also kind of throughout MA

Nahant and downtown are both within the inner solid blue circle on the sectional. That circle indicates they would be in Class B airspace. You would need the FAA authorization to fly there. Once you get outside of that inner circle there will be more locations that are not in controlled airspace.

Thanks. So what is the process to get FAA authorization to fly there? Do I really need to do it at least 90 days in advance? So every other drone video that's on pond5 for Boston area has filed for a permit and waited 90 days?

See post 2 above for link to FAA authorization page. Instructions are there as well. Airspace authorizations can be requested to cover up to a six month time frame. The requested start date is supposed to be at least 90 days in advance but you could request an earlier start date in your description and possibly get lucky. If you are flying for commercial purpose this is the only legal way to fly in controlled airspace.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorvusWorks