DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Permissions to Fly

SteveMouzon

Reactions
I live in an Authorization Zone that's 2 blocks away from an Advanced Warning Zone, both for your regional airport that's across the river. When I first got my Mavic 3 in December, I got my FAA authorization and flew a few times with no problem, including into the Advanced Warning Zone. But I haven't flown this year, and now it's not letting me. I don't know if it's software changes, firmware changes, FAA permission changes, or something else. In any case, I ask permission and enter my phone number, then it says "couldn't send code" or something like that. I checked and didn't get a text; is that the way the code arrives? And do I need a +1 country code for the US? Should there be dashes between area code, prefix, and number? I didn't see a way to enter dashes. Or am I missing something entirely?

I live in an Authorization Zone that's 2 blocks away from an Advanced Warning Zone, both for your regional airport that's across the river. When I first got my Mavic 3 in December, I got my FAA authorization and flew a few times with no problem, including into the Advanced Warning Zone. But I haven't flown this year, and now it's not letting me. I don't know if it's software changes, firmware changes, FAA permission changes, or something else. In any case, I ask permission and enter my phone number, then it says "couldn't send code" or something like that. I checked and didn't get a text; is that the way the code arrives? And do I need a +1 country code for the US? Should there be dashes between area code, prefix, and number? I didn't see a way to enter dashes. Or am I missing something entirely?
Are you requesting LAANC approval? What software are you using to make the request?

Are you requesting LAANC approval? What software are you using to make the request?
I'm not sure what LAANC is, but figured out one way of doing it. I seemed to recall submitting a request on the DJI site last time, so I found the DJI FlySafe page (fly-safe.dji.com) and submitted a request. It was approved almost instantaneously. I went back out for a test flight, but still the same problem. Then I noticed that within the DJI Fly app on my iPhone on the unlock request page, it had inserted +1 at the beginning of my phone number and lopped off the last two digits, so I added them back and it flew. And maybe it would have flown just by fixing the phone number and without getting permission on the web, but in any case I know what to do next time that works for sure.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Reactions: GadgetGuy
LAANC is the FAA system for providing approval to fly in controlled airspace like the Class D airport at Tuscaloosa. DJI can unlock their controls on specific locations but they can't give approval to fly in controlled airspace.

Here are a couple of references that you might find useful.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/programs_partnerships/data_exchange - LAANC

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/b4ufly - B4YouFly app - Check locations for flying per FAA
Thanks MS Coast!!

Reactions: MS Coast
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bant18