DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phones and tablets that work well with DJI GO

Not recommended:

BLU (acronym stands for Bold like Us). Phone runs on Android, but seems unable to process 4K video from any memory device, or Mavic Pro. It plays 4K from youtube OK.

Also regularly disconnects DJI GO app from the remote controller.

I've tried both of these two 10" tablets and they work fine for flight use on DGJI GO 4 app version 4.2.4, firmware 01.4.0200 with the Image Transmission Mode set to Regular Mode

Galaxy Tab 4 10.1" SM-T530NU (WiFi only version) running Android 4.4.2 (build AND4) (upgrading to OS currently)
Galaxy Tab A (2016)10.1" SM-T580 (WiFi only version) running Android 7.0 (build BQL1)​

Great large displays, bright enough (kinda), and smooth flight operation. No hiccups.

Part 2:

What I really want is to be able to take the SD card out of the Mavic Pro and put it into the tablet (via a OTG USB adapter) and play the videos, which are recorded in 4k, various fps (24/30), horizonal width (4096/3840, and container modes (.mp4/.mov) (I've tried them all, even 2.7k 24fps). The Tab 4 wont play a 4k video in any app. The Tab A, using SW decoder will sorta play the 4k videos (the HW decoder wont).

The problem is that they play jerky. Very unwatchable. I've tried several Android video player apps.
MX Player (with ARMv7 NEON codec installed) - plays a few frames (~1/2 sec) then pauses for ~1/2 sec
VLC puts up the first frame only as the video "plays"
Xplayer, aka Android Video Player - Same result as MX Player… jerky​

Fyi, on my PC (Haswell I7 with integrated graphics, 2015 vintage with a 4k monitor) the files play with very view dropped frames in Win10's Movies and TV app, and with a few more dropped frames in VLC and Win10's Windows Media Player. Stating the obvious, yes the PC has more horsepower than the Tab A.

Most of this thread seems to be talking about successfully running DJI GO for control. I don't have any problems with control/flight usage with either tablets, but I want to be able to reasonably watch the videos on the same device in the field.

Does anyone have a tablet recommendation what will play these 4k videos smoothly, and also be a big, bright flight display?

Thank you!
cjn

I've got 40 minutes on my galaxy tab s2 8 inch tablet. No issues at all so far
My s2 8" Tablet worked at first, but then it upgraded to Nougat, and will no longer recognize a connection too the Mavic at all. I am still able to use my larger s2 tablet for some reason.

Hello,
I've got a Samsung galaxy S4 mini is it too small to use it with the mavic pro remote control ?

Thanks

Part 2:

What I really want is to be able to take the SD card out of the Mavic Pro and put it into the tablet (via a OTG USB adapter) and play the videos, which are recorded in 4k, various fps (24/30), horizonal width (4096/3840, and container modes (.mp4/.mov) (I've tried them all, even 2.7k 24fps). The Tab 4 wont play a 4k video in any app. The Tab A, using SW decoder will sorta play the 4k videos (the HW decoder wont).

The problem is that they play jerky. Very unwatchable. I've tried several Android video player apps.
MX Player (with ARMv7 NEON codec installed) - plays a few frames (~1/2 sec) then pauses for ~1/2 sec
VLC puts up the first frame only as the video "plays"
Xplayer, aka Android Video Player - Same result as MX Player… jerky​

Fyi, on my PC (Haswell I7 with integrated graphics, 2015 vintage with a 4k monitor) the files play with very view dropped frames in Win10's Movies and TV app, and with a few more dropped frames in VLC and Win10's Windows Media Player. Stating the obvious, yes the PC has more horsepower than the Tab A.

Most of this thread seems to be talking about successfully running DJI GO for control. I don't have any problems with control/flight usage with either tablets, but I want to be able to reasonably watch the videos on the same device in the field.

Does anyone have a tablet recommendation what will play these 4k videos smoothly, and also be a big, bright flight display?

Thank you!
cjn
Xplayer is one of the only players ive found on playstore that will play 4k video on Samsung tab4.
Its a great player.

Does anybody know if Google Nexus 9 tablet still work with the latest version of Go 4?

I'll answer my own question just incase anybody wants to know.
Picked up a Nexus 9 on ebay, It's running Android 7.1.1, installed DJI Go4 v4.2.6 and bird is on firmware V01.04.0100. I have rooted it and disabled all the apps that I don't need, Flew it today for one battery (22 mins) and didn't have any issues. Screen is brighter compared to the Huawei T3 7" tablet I was using before.

Last edited:
I recently added a "Likes" column on my Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO page to allow people to vote for devices they like. The idea is to use that data to show which of these phones/tablets are most commonly used.

Tablets.jpg

For everyone watching this page, I'd appreciate it if you would go here and click the heart icon beside any devices that you'd recommend a friend use. Thank you for your help!

FYI, the like counts on this page are only updated hourly, so you won't see your votes if you refresh the page right after voting.

Such a good long thread... I will find time to try and go through it all.

I just saw the mipad 4 launch. And it seems to be a good size to replaced my Nexus 7 (2013).. alas the Nexus 7 is giving me problem on rotation and stuff... Sigh

Is there a way to tell what Android device is good for mavic pro? Hardware wise? As well software( Android version)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d