DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

photography - camera sharpness concern - assistance

woodentom

Reactions
took the mavic out for the first time proper today and wow it was such a buzz to fly.

i bought it for photography and i know the camera will not be as good as my DSLR. i had 5 bracket exposure with RAW for post blend and i pressed the screen to get the auto focus

on my pc the sharpness was disappointing and even with posit porcessing most are too blurry.

i was in style/landscape but my shots were of large vista's so focus would be to infinity.

i have uploaded 2 photos (shrunk from 4000 to 1000 pixels). ISO 100, f2.2 and very quick shutter timeDJI_0043.jpgDJI_0088.jpg

if anyone can give me some advice/tips or is the mavic's camera just not that good.

there was a little wind which could have played a part in this

url]
url]

I posted this in the DJI Forum. I have the same concerns. I received the mavic on Wednesday and today was the first real day to try it out. My video is actually really good but the pictures look like they were taken with a camera from 10 years ago. Here's a side-by-side comparison of the end of the video followed by a still shot. The definition on things like the trees and the cars is much clearer in the video than in the photo. I shot in Raw with sharpness 0 and +1 with no improvement.

http://i.imgur.com/oSB06Mt.jpg
oSB06Mt.jpg

oSB06Mt.jpg

oSB06Mt.jpg

Last edited:
The Mavic camera is just not that good. IMHO It suffers from very low dynamic range. It may be fixable with firmware but so far DJI has not said anything. It's built to a price so I am not holding my breath.

Rob

url
Rob,

I see what you're saying. I'm confused because I see the quality of the video and it is stunning. I have sharpness throughout the entire frame. However, when switching over to camera, it looks like mud. It's the same camera/sensor, and from the video it certainly looks like its capable, but I can't figure out why there is a difference. Thanks

Shoot photos in 4:3 mode not 16:9
It will improve the picture a bit.

Rob

Reactions: DroneMann
You get some improvement from using RAW, not sure but I suspect the bracketing might only record in JPG?
It's not brilliant but I'm more troubled by slightly odd colours rather than sharpness.

32105403324_b2e0b25d5f_h.jpg

Reactions: DroneMann
took the mavic out for the first time proper today and wow it was such a buzz to fly.

i bought it for photography and i know the camera will not be as good as my DSLR. i had 5 bracket exposure with RAW for post blend and i pressed the screen to get the auto focus

on my pc the sharpness was disappointing and even with posit porcessing most are too blurry.

i was in style/landscape but my shots were of large vista's so focus would be to infinity.

i have uploaded 2 photos (shrunk from 4000 to 1000 pixels). ISO 100, f2.2 and very quick shutter timeView attachment 7668View attachment 7669

if anyone can give me some advice/tips or is the mavic's camera just not that good.

there was a little wind which could have played a part in this

HI, woodentom,

Do you happen to have the DNG raw files from these? Can you place them onto Dropbox or similar? I'd like to look at them on my PC.

Some of the Mavics have reported focus problems. Some of them look like misaligned sensors. I can't really tell from these samples (and I know the forum restricts the upload size!).

Thanks,
cardplayer71

I have the same issue with my P4. Frame grabs from the video often looks better than actual photos.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan