DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pls examine my coordinates.

That location (PT1 on the map below) is 1.5 nm inside the KPHL Class B surface airspace:

View attachment 37543
Nice job Sar104, I knew it was too far inside the LAANC to not be controlled airspace but you proved it. Perhaps saved someone a lot of grief too.

Good job. Anything I can do to fly here ?
You can get your 107, and as soon as the LAANC becomes active you will be able to receive 400 ft. authorization automatically on your cell phone. That is the reason for the grid boxes (to let you know what altitude they will approve in that area for 107 flights.

You can get your 107, and as soon as the LAANC becomes active you will be able to receive 400 ft. authorization automatically on your cell phone. That is the reason for the grid boxes (to let you know what altitude they will approve in that area for 107 flights.

Bummer. I registered under 336.

Bummer. I registered under 336.
I have not seen where someone has changed their registration, but I am reasonably confident that you could upgrade once you get the license.

I have not seen where someone has changed their registration, but I am reasonably confident that you could upgrade once you get the license.

It's perfectly legitimate to be registered under 336, hold a Part 107 license, and have some or all aircraft registered under the Part 107 system.

What do I have to do to get the license? Thanks
There are many ways to go about it. I have experience in aviation, so I went to the FAA website and found everything I needed. I also used some YouTube free resources. I did it for free, using publicly available resources.
If you have no aviation experience at all, it will take a little more effort. I would start by watching this video to get a feel for what it is you will need to know.;
Also you can see what the test will look like on 3DR's site
https://3dr.com/faa/drone-practice-tests/
If you like and at least generally understand what you are seeing in these resources, you may well be a candidate to learn on your own and save some money. If this looks like learning a foreign language for you, perhaps a class would be appropriate for you..
So getting back to your original question. You study up, and then register and take the test. Once you pass the test you go into the FAA website and apply for a license. It is all on line.
When you get your license you will get a number to put on your drone (like a tail number on a airplane) and you are pretty much good to go.

Reactions: aokusman
There are many ways to go about it. I have experience in aviation, so I went to the FAA website and found everything I needed. I also used some YouTube free resources. I did it for free, using publicly available resources.
If you have no aviation experience at all, it will take a little more effort. I would start by watching this video to get a feel for what it is you will need to know.;
If you like and at least generally understand what you are seeing in these resources, you may well be a candidate to learn on your own and save some money. If this looks like learning a foreign language for you, perhaps a class would be appropriate for you..
So getting back to your original question. You study up, and then register and take the test. Once you pass the test you go into the FAA website and apply for a license. It is all on line.
When you get your license you will get a number to put on your drone (like a tail number on a airplane) and you are pretty much good to go.

Thank you very much for the resources. I will take my time and review it. Meanwhile I’ll just have to drive further away to fly my air.

Nice job Sar104, I knew it was too far inside the LAANC to not be controlled airspace but you proved it. Perhaps saved someone a lot of grief too.

On the other hand it is 6 nm from the airport. The Class B restriction that the FAA quotes on its website on recreational flying is interesting because it appears to have no basis in either regulation or law. Neither Public Law 112-95, Section 336 nor 14 CFR Part 101 mention it anywhere - just the 5 mile notification requirement.

On the other hand it is 6 nm from the airport. The Class B restriction that the FAA quotes on its website on recreational flying is interesting because it appears to have no basis in either regulation or law. Neither Public Law 112-95, Section 336 nor 14 CFR Part 101 mention it anywhere - just the 5 mile notification requirement.
I agree and that is one reason I am a fan of the B4UFly app. It is the FAA telling you if THEY feel you are in controlled airspace.
Things will continue to smooth out over time, but I do believe that 107 will be the way to go for the most freedom to fly. Just my opinion.

Reactions: sar104

And a big part of the 107 test is on reading charts which would answer your initial question. So make sure you pay close attention to this area.

I think it’s 5 st
Just to be clear, we are talking about 5 Nautical Miles (5.753 statute miles) as the core for Class B at Philadelphia. If clear of that, I would agree that it is ok, but I would still use the B4UFly app just to have that assurance that we are right. My 2c.
I AM WRONG ABOUT THIS:
CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING ABOUT CLASS B BOUNDRIES
I think it’s 5 statute miles, the rules were written for non pilot recreational UAV operations and they were trying to keep them as easy as possible. Most people don’t know what a nautical mile is unless they are pilots or boat capt.

I think it’s 5 st

I think it’s 5 statute miles, the rules were written for non pilot recreational UAV operations and they were trying to keep them as easy as possible. Most people don’t know what a nautical mile is unless they are pilots or boat capt.
Actually I believe that we are both a little off. See at the end of the post I edited to say that I was wrong. The diameter of Class B surface in question appears to be 10 nautical miles, and I am confident in that distance.

Actually I believe that we are both a little off. See at the end of the post I edited to say that I was wrong. The diameter of Class B surface in question appears to be 10 nautical miles, and I am confident in that distance.
It’s 8 nm out from PHL and goes from surface to 7000’. I was referring to the 5 miles away from airport rule being 5 sm. That doesn’t apply to Class B airspace. Not sure if I am explaining it clearly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RYNOGOD